Severe Geomagnetic Storm Watch (and maybe big Northern Lights show)

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Could you see those colors with the naked eye? I was disappointed with the faintness of them with my eyes but through my phone camera it looked beautiful.
For me, in a more lit area without a camera, I could see different colors. Mostly pink and green. But it was dull and wispy. I was doing some reading after dinner last night and the consensus seemed to be that video was the best way to see it. Cameras are much more sensitive and can be adjusted to highlight those colors, and once that's done there's a lot of motion that just isn't perceptible to humans.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Pretty disappointing with the naked eye. If you didn’t know it was happening, you would have never noticed anything. At least here west of CR out in the country.

But when you took a picture, it looked pretty cool.

That's the way it is a lot of the time. They warn people that go to Iceland strictly to see the Northern Lights that often it isn't that impressive without a camera.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Took the time to get fully geared up for allergies (masks, goggles, etc) and had the tripod out to counter my shakes. Broke out the super good camera, set 30 second shutter, all the work. Spent an hour, fell down 15 times (Parkinson's meds had work off), rolled down a hill, bruised and battered... and I got jack ****. Wish I would have been more prepared the night before. At least I got amazing pics with my iPhone 15PM Friday night.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm