Severe Geomagnetic Storm Watch (and maybe big Northern Lights show)

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Read on an Ag site I follow that this guys hands free steering was not very straight today. Was the steering system messed up or was it the atmospheric issues? Would cars with hands free steering have problems today?
I believe most ag hands-off-steering is GPS based, which will have problems for a bit yet. Automotive lane centering is all camera based so shouldn't be impacted. (Automotive automated driving uses a suite of sensors including some GPS depending on the function - camera, RADAR, LIDAR, ultrasonic for sure).

Reactions: FLYINGCYCLONE

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Just returned from northern Boone County and could immediately see pillars from my Ankeny driveway before my eyes were fully adjusted. Incredible. At 10 PM it was covering over half the sky in dark locales.

Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Just went out my front door (60 miles north of Seattle) and they were directly overhead - pinks and greens. Our neighborhood is dark but there is a streetlight right on our corner and our exterior motion lights turned on. I was still able to see them with my unadjusted naked eyes. My son got a decent photo, and my wife and three oldest are heading out to find a darker, more open spot to look at them and take pictures.

Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

Mar 21, 2021
Just went out into the yard here outsideAlbert Lea, and there it was, aurora borealis. Big sort of dull/hazy patches, stationary, in the sky, seeming to have these waves of light of a cosmic/massive scale passing through and dimly illuminating the patches, giving me that 'I'm but a spec of dust in the wind' sense....

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Of course it was rain/clouds here all night. Clearing just in time for sunrise so I won’t see anything. When I was out at 2 am, the clouds did look to have a glow to them, but it could have been my imagination.

cyclonemarc

Mar 3, 2013
Newton, IA
I was heading back into town just after 10, and there was a giant line of cars leaving Ankeny on Irvinedale. Everyone had the same idea to hit the gravel roads outside of town.
We were headed home going East on the road from Polk City and the line of cars going North on Ankeny Blvd was huge also.

• Agree
Reactions: exCYtable

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The key with these that are a bit faint is to have the exposure time on your camera/phone to around 5-10 seconds. I put my iPhone 15PM on a stand and set the exposure time to 10 seconds and got some amazing shots. Went out at 11:30 and there was some, but it was a bit more gray/blue. Went out around 3:45 and it was amazing.

This is probably the worst shot I got because I was under the deck. I moved up top later and got some amazing shots (not yet uploaded). Parkinson's shakes be damned, a stand and long exposure FTW.

IMG_3026.jpeg

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
The key with these that are a bit faint is to have the exposure time on your camera/phone to around 5-10 seconds. I put my iPhone 15PM on a stand and set the exposure time to 10 seconds and got some amazing shots. Went out at 11:30 and there was some, but it was a bit more gray/blue. Went out around 3:45 and it was amazing.

This is probably the worst shot I got because I was under the deck. I moved up top later and got some amazing shots (not yet uploaded). Parkinson's shakes be damned, a stand and long exposure FTW.

View attachment 129044
I woke at 3:30 and took a peak out the northern window. I also thought it was much better than at midnight. I never dreamed we'd have something like this in Iowa visible from the 'burbs.

Reactions: aauummm

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Pretty disappointing with the naked eye. If you didn’t know it was happening, you would have never noticed anything. At least here west of CR out in the country.

But when you took a picture, it looked pretty cool.