Severe Geomagnetic Storm Watch (and maybe big Northern Lights show)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
After the last big viewing opportunity I’m hooked. I’m going to go harder (focus on getting as far out of light pollution as possible) this time and the weather is going to be even better. Highly recommend it!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What time are these supposed to be visible?
According to the local report between 1am & Daybreak Saturday morning.
I have a nice dark place I could go. I just have to decide if I want to get up in the middle of the night.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
For those that aren't aware of what that means, this is how I just explained it to my wife...

It’s a mass of plasma from the sun that is basically supercharged energy (think of it like a wave of high voltage electricity/radiation). Typically our magnetic field shields us from the daily flares, but every once in a long while there is a mass ejection that can go through our magnetic field. In theory, a big enough wave would be like a huge jolt of electricity that could fry all electronic devices in its path. Same concept of an EMP bomb.
Maybe we'll get a "magnetic wave" day and school will be cancelled...

Reactions: Jer

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
Would this ground planes today? I would not want to be flying if there is a chance of electronic failure

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Does this mean that rascal Ed Wilson is going to interupt my Wheel of Fortune watching tonight with more crazy updates??? I hate when that happens...

• Haha
Reactions: demoncore1031

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's a light map if you are looking for a spot without excessive urban light pollution. I am thinking of driving up I-94 past St. Cloud to a rest stop. Hard to find a good spot since most public areas like refuges and parks close at 10 pm.

Any Twin Cities folk got a better idea? Thinking of trying some photo opts with tripod and long exposure.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Yes, a lot of hyperbole, but as you said a really big one could be catastrophic as much as we rely on electricity and electronic devices.

This one in 1859 was before our reliance on electronics but was still a mess for telegraph service.

We do need to upgrade our energy infrastructure. If a big one like that did it, it'd take a lot of time to replace all of our transformers.

I don't think this one is a risk for that kind of stuff. Will be interesting to see how much it does disrupt, though, potentially being the strongest in 20 years. Apparently the one in 2005 caused power issues in Sweeden and blew some transformers in South Africa.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Would this ground planes today? I would not want to be flying if there is a chance of electronic failure

Might disrupt GPS, but planes can handle a GPS outage. Nothings going to be falling out of the sky, so I doubt anything gets grounded (unless there are localized power grid issues).

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Might disrupt GPS, but planes can handle a GPS outage. Nothings going to be falling out of the sky, so I doubt anything gets grounded (unless there are localized power grid issues).
It’s YK2 all over again!!!

Reactions: Letterkenny

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A REALLY bad one could cause electronic failures. But that would be the kind of civilization ending ones you can read about. You might be better off having a 6 minute plane ride to your "final destination" than get killed by chaos or starvation in a few months...

Most military stuff is hardened against these EMP type surges, but most civilian stuff isn't.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Here's a light map if you are looking for a spot without excessive urban light pollution. I am thinking of driving up I-94 past St. Cloud to a rest stop. Hard to find a good spot since most public areas like refuges and parks close at 10 pm.

Any Twin Cities folk got a better idea? Thinking of trying some photo opts with tripod and long exposure.

I know of a place about 45 miles north of Omaha that's pretty dark. I might try to do the same

One of these days I would love to go to the Nebraska Star Party. It's every summer at about the new moon in the middle of the state which is some of the darkest skies in the country.
https://www.nebraskastarparty.org/

Reactions: Turn2 and Cyhig

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
This event is causing the northern lights to be spectacular in MN even as far down as the Iowa border. Never tried to see them but we are going to try tonight.

Reactions: Cyhig

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The initial impact is expected to arrive around 4PM central time; however, it could arrive a few hours earlier or later. The storm is expected to last well into Saturday evening, so all night tonight should be great viewing
Will the the warning sirens work with this type of storm?? :jimlad::jimlad::jimlad: 1715370713578.png

• Haha
Reactions: aauummm

Help Support Us

Become a patron