Retirement Targets

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
One thing not discussed in the thread is the assumption you’re never gonna make it to retirement.

Both my parents didn’t, I likely won’t based on health. So what’s the point besides a safety net? I max out my 401k and did the Roth while I was under the income limit.

But at the end of the day, it does feel like I could’ve used some of that money for something to do while alive.

I guess the Gerdin building will get a nice renovation or something.
Maybe they can paint the roof green like Beardshear Hall. They always said on campus tours the top was green because that's where all the money was kept.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Most Vanguard ETFs have an equivalent mutual fund with nearly identical expenses. Doesn't matter much whether you pick the ETF or the fund. Funds may have initial minimums to get started, whereas the ETFs usually dont, but the ETFs tend to trade as shares vs dollar amounts, which can be a bit awkward. I use mutual funds.

Their Total Stock Market index, S&P 500 index, and Growth index are all good choices to get started.

H

What about VTI and VUG?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Financial advisor mentioned this book to me. I am not going to do this 100%, but it does make you think, especially if you are doing very well.

Better to retire at 55 with $X and enjoy it, or work 10 more years, have $2X, but then declining health and time to enjoy it?

<https://www.diewithzerobook.com/welcome>
That book is OK, except the author is a Hawkeye (ex football player).

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

HighLeakageCy

Jan 3, 2024
One thing not discussed in the thread is the assumption you’re never gonna make it to retirement.

Both my parents didn’t, I likely won’t based on health. So what’s the point besides a safety net? I max out my 401k and did the Roth while I was under the income limit.

But at the end of the day, it does feel like I could’ve used some of that money for something to do while alive.

For one, Mickey Mantle regretted making that assumption. I'm sure there are others.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
That book is OK, except the author is a Hawkeye (ex football player).
I’ve heard about it a fair amount but haven’t actually read it myself. I get certain aspects of what I’m told it says but really disagree with others.

I like the idea of thinking about your life beyond stockpiling money (for retirement or otherwise), but there’s something very shallow about the mindset of I’m going to live in such a way that allows me to experience as many personal pleasures and opportunities as I can afford…and I’ve failed if I die and missed one.

You also have to have enough discipline to be a saver early on. And how much do you flip that switch? I have an aunt that is over 100 years old. She probably didn’t plan to live that long. If she followed his advice, what would things be like now?

Just seems dangerous and still seems to make life about money in a different way. Be a saver but find worth and value outside of money. Use money as a tool.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I’ve heard about it a fair amount but haven’t actually read it myself. I get certain aspects of what I’m told it says but really disagree with others.

I like the idea of thinking about your life beyond stockpiling money (for retirement or otherwise), but there’s something very shallow about the mindset of I’m going to live in such a way that allows me to experience as many personal pleasures and opportunities as I can afford…and I’ve failed if I die and missed one.

You also have to have enough discipline to be a saver early on. And how much do you flip that switch? I have an aunt that is over 100 years old. She probably didn’t plan to live that long. If she followed his advice, what would things be like now?

Just seems dangerous and still seems to make life about money in a different way. Be a saver but find worth and value outside of money. Use money as a tool.
Honestly, I think its aimed more at folks that have "made it" and have $5-10M socked away in their 50s. Not so much at folks trying to get to $2M by age 65.

Kind of a "why are you busting your hump and burning the time you have left, when you are already in the top 1%? what's the point of being in the top 0.1%?"

I do agree that there is a balance to be had. I think most people (and self included) don't think enough about WHY they are working to save for retirement and what they will do once IN retirement. And if this gets people thinking then that's a good thing.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
What about VTI and VUG?

vti == total stock market index ~= vtsax mutual fund
vug = growth index ~= vigax mutual fund

Those are two of ones I was referring to where it doesn't matter much whether you pick the etf or the mutual fund. They have similar expenses and track the same underlying index, so they will perform about the same.

H

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
vti == total stock market index ~= vtsax mutual fund
vug = growth index ~= vigax mutual fund

Those are two of ones I was referring to where it doesn't matter much whether you pick the etf or the mutual fund. They have similar expenses and track the same underlying index, so they will perform about the same.

H
I went in today with a good chunk of the VTI. Wanting to put more in but just unsure where else to invest. Such a newbie to all of this.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I went in today with a good chunk of the VTI. Wanting to put more in but just unsure where else to invest. Such a newbie to all of this.
Nothing wrong with diving in. An approach if u are not comfortable is to set a plan in place like:

- split it up with 6 equal amounts and do the first of the month for the next six months.....laddering in - similar to dollar cost averaging. Or something like: invest on down days 6 different days over the next 6 months. Don't try to be a timer, just invest on down days.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Just load up on hookers and blow, it will guarantee you don’t live to retirement while having fun.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
CAN CONFIRM

Save 10-15% of your income, let it grow for 30-40 years, and you will be good. Not Bezos levels, but roof over your head, food in your belly, family secure. And some to have fun with.
Why I enjoy my employer going to 25% contribution. Previous companies would do 6% match 401ks, but getting straight 25% of salary contribution into retirement is awesome.