Retirement Targets

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
T
Raising the SS cap may actually lower the amount of money going into SS because people making above $160,000 a year would just register an S Corp, negotiate job offers to be Corp to Corp, and pay themselves "reasonable compensation" as w2 income and take the rest as a distribution that bypasses FICA / Self Employment taxes. The vast majority of people making those salaries are already businesses, and the types of people who are making that much as employees are the ones in high demand who could negotiate that employment setup.

You need a lot of workers to take care of children and the elderly. I'm sure they'll try to remove the cap, but it won't help and Social Security will still be completed f'd unless we somehow fix the demographic problems of having so few workers be of working age or something like AI takes over the entire economy and makes worker productivity unimportant. Otherwise you just don't have enough workers to support the non-workers.

As a 30 something year old I'm taking my retirement into my own hands and assume social security won't do anything for me in retirement.
That is the correct attitude to have. Please remember though, 30 year-olds were saying that in the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on. Same story, different time.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Trying to figure out what that right $$$ figure is. Law of 4% says it is millions... So I guess the day I hit that is the day I can retire. Only if we finally fix healthcare in this country, or it will mean we cannot retire until we can get medicare.
The 4% thing depends a great deal on what you leave funds invested in. I plan to maybe start with that and adjust as years play out, but I am not gonna sit in CDs or T Bills.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The 4% thing depends a great deal on what you leave funds invested in. I plan to maybe start with that and adjust as years play out, but I am not gonna sit in CDs or T Bills.
If you retire at 65, you could still have your retirement funds invested for 20+ years. Obviously need funds that are liquid or in a fixed investment, but you could still have a good portion in stocks/SP500, hopefully returning well above 4%.

I've viewed the 4% rule as a great way to identify a goal of what you'll need to retire. It's easy math to do no matter what age you are. But I really hope I'll get better than a 4% return in retirement.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
We signed on with an advisor in November. Too much stress. One nice thing was she did not want to rebalance our portfolio. I was stunned. That is what was causing my portfolio angst.

Reactions: yowza

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
We signed on with an advisor in November. Too much stress. One nice thing was she did not want to rebalance our portfolio. I was stunned. That is what was causing my portfolio angst.
I know. I watch stuff every single day and probably overthink a great deal even though over time I have done well.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I have seen the guesses on CNBC by quests of a 10% to 12% gain in S&P in 2024 with market broadening out beyond the Mag 7 which is inflating the PE of the unweighted S&P.

March generally regarded as the first time the Fed will decrease rates. I believe assumption is a quarter point.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
21% in my 401(k); 17.2% in my Traditional IRA (rolled over 401(k) from previous employer); 32.7% in my Roth.

I really need to give up my addiction to small/mid-cap biotech stocks o_O

• Haha
Reactions: DurangoCy and yowza

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
401k - 30.7%
Roth - 47.25%
Traditional - 19.93%

Guess which account I'm more conservative in?

Younger investors. Hit the damn gas!

(Not investment advice and if you're taking financial advice on here you better have your goddam house paid for)

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: cyfan21 and yowza

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
How did you all do in 2023? Heck of a market run in November and December.
My federal retirement fund was fully in an “Income” fund for most of the year, which is conservatively distributed among stock/bond/cash funds for those nearing or already in retirement. I moved my funds out of that and into the straight cash G fund a couple of times during the year, during the Speaker/debt ceiling chaos in January and again in October with the shutdown frenzy.

Even so, I pulled down over 8% for the year. I was pretty happy with that, especially compared with the disaster that was 2022.

(Note to those pulling down 20-25% or more this year: I’ve been retired for five years and will start pulling money out of my retirement fund this year to, you know, live. I can’t afford to be too aggressive at this point … 8% is great, lol.)

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
If you retire at 65, you could still have your retirement funds invested for 20+ years. Obviously need funds that are liquid or in a fixed investment, but you could still have a good portion in stocks/SP500, hopefully returning well above 4%.

I've viewed the 4% rule as a great way to identify a goal of what you'll need to retire. It's easy math to do no matter what age you are. But I really hope I'll get better than a 4% return in retirement.
I don’t think it’s that you only need to earn 4%. Don’t you have to earn 4% plus the rate of inflation (so probably a little over 7% on average)? That’s how I understood it…