Reputation - Decide it's future

What should happen to the reputation feature?

• No change

Votes: 38 19.4%
  • Slight adjustments or tweaks

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • More restrictions on it's use

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Remove completely

Votes: 59 30.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 67 34.2%

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Reputation - Decide it's future

There has been debate in the past as well as more recently regarding the reputation feature on the site. While I have it setup and implemented about as well as I can figure out how to, it is not without its faults.

Please vote above and help decide the future of the reputation feature, as well as discuss below why you feel the way you do or to share ideas on how it could be improved.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Keep it, it balloons my ego.

Actually, I really don't care. There should be an "eh" option in the poll.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
should be kept, but should be restricted in use. People shouldn't be able to bash someone just for making an opinion. Conversely, people should not be able to boost their Rep simply from being a popular poster.

cyclonedrew

Apr 11, 2006
How do you check the rep level coments? I have a bad rep level and all I do is come on here and post pictures of the Norman game and add to discusion about ISU sports. Where do I see what people are saying about me on my rep level.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
How do you check the rep level coments? I have a bad rep level and all I do is come on here and post pictures of the Norman game and add to discusion about ISU sports. Where do I see what people are saying about me on my rep level.

You have a good rep level drew. You can check the last 5 comments under the USER CP heading on top of the webpage. You can see your total points under your screen name.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I like the rep feature just because I enjoy seeing what posts other people like/don't like.

As for the number, I have no idea how it's calculated.

IAStFan

May 1, 2006
IMO, rep points should done away with. Just seems elementary. People can read, people can agree/disagree. If you disagree with something, reply with a post and your opinion, instead of taking the easy way out and not participating. I think that will ultimately make for a better community.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
One suggestion may be to allow positive replies but not negative replies. Thus in the end, those that have higher numbers will show that their comments are more in alignment with others on the board. This would get rid of users bashing others for speaking their opinions that may not be agreed upon by the majority. I think having negative is an inaccurate way as it points to something bad. Being different then the majority is not bad, it may actually be a great post where standing up and speaking your true opinion is what this board really needs.

For example, I'll probably get negative points if someone doesn't like this post. Yet I am only trying to offer up a constructive opinion.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
heres my opinion.. if they want it, then let them but they can not get rid of it once they have it, if they dont want it, dont give it to them, and they should not be aloud to idl effect the other ppl who have it, and if they dont care, then let it be an option for them later.

cygoat

Apr 11, 2006
I never have paid any attention to it until you posted this. So I went and checked out my rep level: -7. I earned this for two positive comments I made about the basketball team. Seems pretty stupid to me.

jgooder

Apr 13, 2006
Michigan
I think it makes people think before they post, so I like it even though its not perfect. To not have it would invite posters to post facetious or nonsense posts. I saw that on the other sites, and I see very little of that here.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it makes people think before they post, so I like it even though its not perfect. To not have it would invite posters to post facetious or nonsense posts. I saw that on the other sites, and I see very little of that here.

Excellent point.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I like the Rep thing. It's an ego thing just like Bryce said. It lets me know if people agree or disagree with me. I had a bad rep for a while and I actually liked it (I said something Bad about D-Mac during the Pro-Mac Era a Month ago) Most people on the site don't post but just read, it's an easy way to express their opinion without having to post a coherent paragraph. So maybe it's bad because there are less postings because of it???

I say keep it because it's not hurting anyone and it's an added accesory to the site. I also think it should be harder to earn rep. I don't understand the points but I moved up pretty easily and I know I'm don't write good.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It's the little blue checkmark under the member's name. I like it, because I do agree that it keeps things in check to a certain degree.

Thanks, mine shows up on the right hand side just under the header of the post.

I got a lot of makin up to do!! Just kidding.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Try out Default Style...I think it's a lot better. Especially in the forum lists. Easier to navigate. I think it's the newer version.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I like comments being made for posts... but reputation I could care less for... maybe reputation for a post... but not the poster... whatever you do is fine with me though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron