Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Big 12 gets less of the playoff cut, but is still allowed in. That would continue.

My preference is something like #1, but with the top cut being whittled down to 16-18 schools. Iowa wouldn't make that cut, and Nebraska might not either. That would allow the remaining 50+ former P5 schools to reorganize geographically.

You would see the top division look like this:
OSU
Michigan
Penn State
Notre Dame
USC
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma
Florida
Bama
Georgia
FSU
Clemson
Tennessee
Aggy
LSU
Miami
Auburn

Then everyone else is left in another division that can organize along geographical and historical lines. Maybe have the remaining 54 teams of the former P5 organize into 6 9 team divisions. Our division would be something like this:
ISU
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Mizzou
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Okie State

I would prefer this to basically any arrangement ISU's ever been a part of.
I would be shocked if the premier division is that small for a couple of reasons. 1st that would mean that these teams are playing each other every week, and no way they want that many loses. They want to have enough of the Purdue's, Illinois, and NW on the schedule to build up their record. 2nd, the B10 and SEC schools that are already getting paid are not going to be willing to take less money for this to happen. The B10 schools are going to be getting $80 to $100 million per school by the time the new contract expires in 2027, no way EIU, Wisconsin and Rutgers are willingly going to walk away from that much money. You might convince Maryland and MSU to take $70 million to give extra money to Ohio St and Michigan, but no way are they going to remain at say $60 million while Penn. State is rolling in $140 million per year.

The number has to be in the 40's to ensure the big boys get wins and the smaller schools get their money, the question is will be in the 40's or in the 60's?

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
The Big 12 gets less of the playoff cut, but is still allowed in. That would continue.

My preference is something like #1, but with the top cut being whittled down to 16-18 schools. Iowa wouldn't make that cut, and Nebraska might not either. That would allow the remaining 50+ former P5 schools to reorganize geographically.

OSU
Michigan
Penn State
Notre Dame
USC
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma
Florida
Bama
Georgia
FSU
Clemson
Tennessee
Aggy
LSU
Miami
Auburn

Then everyone else is left in another division that can organize along geographical and historical lines. Maybe have the remaining 54 teams of the former P5 organize into 6 9 team divisions. Our division would be something like this:
ISU
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Mizzou
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Okie State

This would be incredible, but I don't see a world where the top tier is that small. I bet it will be closer to 30 teams, maybe even 40.

Right now, they have a combined 34 teams. If they kick out any schools, I can only really foresee Vandy, Northwestern, & Rutgers getting chopped, but they'd easily backfill with ND, Clemson, & FSU.

I don't see a world where Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan State, etc. drop a level. At worst they'd be on the wrong end of "performance-based" payments, but that's it.

The big dogs, and the TV networks, know they can't cut off too much. They need to keep it national and the undisputed top level of CFB.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The motivation is ESPN not wanting to pay premium $$$ (if anything at all) for the ACC once Virginia and UNC are no longer in the equation. Granted, I don't think this is likely at all as I see all four of UVA, UNC, Clemson, and FSU in either the Big 10 or SEC if they want them... just saying.
The Big Ten has wanted UVA and UNC forever because of the academic clout. UVA is the best academic public university in the country and UNC isn't far behind in the same tier with Michigan.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

OSU
Michigan
Penn State
Notre Dame
USC
Oregon
Texas
Oklahoma
Florida
Bama
Georgia
FSU
Clemson
Tennessee
Aggy
LSU
Miami
Auburn

ISU
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
Mizzou
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Okie State

Not that I think this is happening but no way Miami gets in there. Also think you could make the case to swap out A&M.

Swap those two out for UNC, and maybe Wisconsin. Still wouldn’t remotely work as it’s too small and cutting out way too many people.

Reactions: simply1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't think #1 will happen. It's just my pipe dream.

I think the far more likely result is a top division with 60+ schools that has the SEC, Big 10, and everyone else. The everyone else conference will make less money, but be allowed to participate in the same set of playoffs in the revenue sports.

This allows the Big 10 and SEC to keep making more than everyone else and gaming the system, but keeps all those national eyeballs in the mix. It gives everyone what they want the most. The Big 10/SEC just want every dollar they can grab, and the Big 12/ACC just don't want to be shut out. Except for the people who badly want to see schools like ISU not even allowed to participate.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I miss the BCS so freaking much.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd lament a CFB playoff so much.
Never in my dreams would I envision someone favoring the BCS which prohibited P5/G5 conference champs from having a path to the national title like every other NCAA sport. 12 team CFP playoff still does that for 4 G5 conference champs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not that I think this is happening but no way Miami gets in there. Also think you could make the case to swap out A&M.

Swap those two out for UNC, and maybe Wisconsin. Still wouldn’t remotely work as it’s too small and cutting out way too many people.
You have to have enough teams in this premium league to not leave out the majority of the country, while also keeping fans interested. I am not sure 40 schools from the B10 and SEC plus a few others would do this. ISU fans are not going to start to watch and cheer for EIU, just because they are playing at the top level and ISU isn't. Those fans all around the country will stay and root for their team and it will take decades for them to move away from that.
For this to work you are going to have to find room for most of the current P5 schools and schools like Memphis or Boise St. that want to try to play at that level. It would not be difficult to come up with a set of standards for schools to use if they want to play at the highest level. Amount of money they are investing in football, attendance and other criteria could be used to see if they are big enough to get in the new league.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You have to have enough teams in this premium league to not leave out the majority of the country, while also keeping fans interested. I am not sure 40 schools from the B10 and SEC plus a few others would do this. ISU fans are not going to start to watch and cheer for EIU, just because they are playing at the top level and ISU isn't. Those fans all around the country will stay and root for their team and it will take decades for them to move away from that.
For this to work you are going to have to find room for most of the current P5 schools and schools like Memphis or Boise St. that want to try to play at that level. It would not be difficult to come up with a set of standards for schools to use if they want to play at the highest level. Amount of money they are investing in football, attendance and other criteria could be used to see if they are big enough to get in the new league.
That's why you let the third conference participate.

They won't make your money, but they'll have skin in the game and their fans will still watch. We will be in that third conference.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Sorry, I haven't posted this in a week:

Been saying it for years... all football programs not in the SEC or Big 10 need to band together, demand 100% equal revenue sharing, or threaten to break away.

If they call the bluff... so be it. A seperate league is where this eventually ends up anyway.

Last edited:

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Never in my dreams would I envision someone favoring the BCS which prohibited P5/G5 conference champs from having a path to the national title like every other NCAA sport. 12 team CFP playoff still does that for 4 G5 conference champs.
If you honestly think that in this new system there's a chance someone from outside the B1G/SEC will EVER win a natty, you're far more optimistic than I am.

It's being so heavily gamed against anyone outside of those conferences that a playoff loss is the best possible way we can end a season. I hate that we can't finish an incredible once-in-a-lifetime season on a high note like we did in 2020. Hell, even winning those Insight bowls in the 2000s felt amazing.

Now the bowls mean less than they ever have and nearly perfect seasons for schools at our level are rewarded with being fodder for the big guys. Can an upset over one happen? Sure. It just did with TCU vs Michigan. But the gap is getting wider all of the time and pulling off multiple upsets like that in a row isn't happening.

The Big XII CCG is now the only obtainable goal. And even a year where we pull that off, the season will still end in a loss.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you honestly think that in this new system there's a chance someone from outside the B1G/SEC will EVER win a natty, you're far more optimistic than I am.

It's being so heavily gamed against anyone outside of those conferences that a playoff loss is the best possible way we can end a season. I hate that we can't finish an incredible once-in-a-lifetime season on a high note like we did in 2020. Hell, even winning those Insight bowls in the 2000s felt amazing.

Now the bowls mean less than they ever have and nearly perfect seasons for schools at our level are rewarded with being fodder for the big guys. Can an upset over one happen? Sure. It just did with TCU vs Michigan. But the gap is getting wider all of the time and pulling off multiple upsets like that in a row isn't happening.

The Big XII CCG is now the only obtainable goal. And even a year where we pull that off, the season will still end in a loss.
There are maybe 10 schools that are actually capable of ever winning a national title, and outside of FSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame they're all currently in the SEC and Big 10.

Also, most of the schools in the SEC and Big 10 aren't capable of winning national titles either. None of this is a change from the past.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Sorry, I haven't posted this in a week:

Been saying it for years... all football programs not in the SEC or Big 10 need to band together, demand 100% equal revenue sharing, or threaten to break away.

If they call the bluff... so be it. A sperate league is where this eventually ends up anyway.
I’m not sure that would go the way you think that would go.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
There are maybe 10 schools that are actually capable of ever winning a national title, and outside of FSU, Clemson, and Notre Dame they're all currently in the SEC and Big 10.

Also, most of the schools in the SEC and Big 10 aren't capable of winning national titles either. None of this is a change from the past.
Exactly.

The change I'm lamenting is that now everyone HAS to be playing for the same goal. Which is asinine. There's never been parody in CFB. Why are 130 teams competing for the same goal, that only 1 can achieve, when there's not even the illusion of a level playing field?

Reactions: t-noah

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Exactly.

The change I'm lamenting is that now everyone HAS to be playing for the same goal. Which is asinine. There's never been parody in CFB. Why are 130 teams competing for the same goal, that only 1 can achieve, when there's not even the illusion of a level playing field?
I always liked bowl games, because they offer the chance to go out on a win, but they never really meant anything more than they do. There was just a collective decision over time to stop caring about them, which is unfortunate.

I hate the phrase "bowl games don't mean anything these days". They never meant anything. We all just decided to care.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I always liked bowl games, because they offer the chance to go out on a win, but they never really meant anything more than they do. There was just a collective decision over time to stop caring about them, which is unfortunate.

I hate the phrase "bowl games don't mean anything these days". They never meant anything. We all just decided to care.
It feels like anymore bowl games assist coaches with keeping the roster intact. Given that the portal opens early December and is open for 30 days ish, if you have a bowl game to play, there is constantly practices/team activities to keep players/coaches occupied

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Exactly.

With a revenue sharing settlement looming this week, now is the perfect time to create parity (not parody). Cut the FB schollie limit from 85 to 70. Would be the best thing ever to create more CFB parity along with tightening up transfer/NIL rules.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
With a revenue sharing settlement looming this week, now is the perfect time to create parity (not parody). Cut the FB schollie limit from 85 to 70. Would be the best thing ever to create more CFB parity.
Good catch on the typo. My morning coffee is already wearing off.

I've been in favor of cutting the scholarship limit for a looooong time, but it very much feels like it's too little too late at this point. The few teams that are truly in contention can make up for that pretty effortlessly with NIL funds.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I think we would end up in a separate league. How do you think it would go?
I think they would ultimately go tell us to kick rocks. The question then is does that separate league looklike….what the Big 12 looks like now or the G5/FCS? In talent, resources, coaches, money, games on tv ect. Personally I have no idea.