Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Wasn’t the Pac 12 ready to sign a deal with Amazon or Apple and the Big 10 came calling last minute with an offer and Oregon and Washington no showed? Thius leading to the 4 corners finally giving in to the Big 12? Pretty sure that’s what happened or at least to have said to happen.

On the surface that looks like Fox and the Big 10 made concessions to not lose out on those properties.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That’s some real tin foil hat stuff but I know nothing I say can convince you otherwise even though your math is way off. Just adding USC/UCLA at full value is paying more than they “saved” by cutting WSU and OSU. Same for the other schools, they all got pay raises leaving the PAC, but again, I know how the great conspiracy theory on here works.
The Fox boys with USC ties didn't care about short-term math relative to USC. They wanted them in the B10 with full payouts and had to take UCLA along for the ride for political and logistic reasons. And they are essentially paying Oregon and U-Dub the same rate as B12 schools (including 4 Corner schools) are getting while continuing to keep Apple and Amazon out of the CFP production space.

But Fox and ESPN do care about long-term math and their CFP bidding shenanigans with their puppets is clear proof of that. And their long-term plan includes reducing P4 mouths to feed while keeping out Apple and Amazon.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The Fox boys with USC ties didn't care about short-term math relative to USC. They wanted them in the B10 with full payouts and had to take UCLA along for the ride for political and logistic reasons. And they are essentially paying Oregon and U-Dub the same rate as B12 schools (including 4 Corner schools) are getting while continuing to keep Apple and Amazon out of the CFP production space.

But Fox and ESPN do care about long-term math and their CFP bidding shenanigans with their puppets is clear proof of that. And their long-term plan includes reducing P4 mouths to feed while keeping out Apple and Amazon.
It doesn’t matter though if the mouths are reduced if the cost is the same. Also the conferences aren’t ready to move to streaming only services. By the time the next media deal comes up that probably gets a longer look. There was no need to keep Amazon or Apple out because they didn’t want to go there yet.

At the end of the day they don’t own the product, the Big ten or SEC could leave them high and dry in a heartbeat if it meets their needs.

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Wasn’t the Pac 12 ready to sign a deal with Amazon or Apple and the Big 10 came calling last minute with an offer and Oregon and Washington no showed? Thius leading to the 4 corners finally giving in to the Big 12? Pretty sure that’s what happened or at least to have said to happen.

On the surface that looks like Fox and the Big 10 made concessions to not lose out on those properties.
Opposite, Washington and Oregon came to the big ten. No one in the PAC wanted to be on streaming only as it’s kind of a death sentence for relevance currently, that will change over time.

The PAC was also never able to put a deal on the table, that’s what good reporters like Jason Schryer were saying over and over gain. There was no deal to vote on because their was never a real deal.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It doesn’t matter though if the mouths are reduced if the cost is the same. Also the conferences aren’t ready to move to streaming only services. By the time the next media deal comes up that probably gets a longer look. There was no need to keep Amazon or Apple out because they didn’t want to go there yet.

At the end of the day they don’t own the product, the Big ten or SEC could leave them high and dry in a heartbeat if it meets their needs.
LOL, the NBA and NFL are currently or will be streaming to their extreme financial benefit. And without any regular season content, Amazon and Apple weren't going to bid on the CFP extension.

Mission accomplished by ESPN and Fox and their puppets.

And you are forgetting ESPN owns the SEC rights through the mid 2030s and Fox has the B10 by the balls with their BTN deal even longer than that. And it is not widely known the Fox/BTN owns 100% of the B10 rights for an underdetermined period of time. The B10's deals with NBC and CBS are essentially sublicensing deals via BTN.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

So connect the dots for me on how Apple and Amazon (two of the richest companies on earth) were blocked out of the CFP space if ESPN was the lone CFP bidder and came in at below market rate?

I agree, there is some interest in getting rid of some bottom feeders to save cash, but not sure how that matters much with keeping out the tech companies.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
So connect the dots for me on how Apple and Amazon (two of the richest companies on earth) were blocked out of the CFP space if ESPN was the lone CFP bidder and came in at below market rate?

I agree, there is some interest in getting rid of some bottom feeders to save cash, but not sure how that matters much with keeping out the tech companies.
Apple and Amazon don't have P4 regular season content, thus no interest in the CFP. ESPN and Fox have orchestrated their exclusion.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Mizzou and A&M are advocating KU to SEC. KU kept good relations with those two schools and when I heard KU’s football stadium renovations and then Mizzou’s I went hmmmmm. I think the big 12 is in trouble and KU will jump if SEC offers. Not good.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
LOL, the NBA and NFL are currently or will be streaming to their extreme financial benefit. And without any regular season content, Amazon and Apple weren't going to bid on the CFP extension.

Mission accomplished by ESPN and Fox and their puppets.

And you are forgetting ESPN owns the SEC rights through the mid 2030s and Fox has the B10 by the balls with their BTN deal even longer than that. And it is not widely known the Fox/BTN owns 100% of the B10 rights for an underdetermined period of time. The B10's deals with NBC and CBS are essentially sublicensing deals via BTN.
Wow this is just so off. The NFL has one game a week on streaming, same for the NBA. That’s not as much content as you think.

Also just becuase they don’t have regular season content why wouldn’t they still want the playoff that almost always draws more eyeballs then the regular season games?

You logic just doesn’t make sense. I get it, you want to feel like there is some massive plot behind the curtain but the idea that ESPN which is hemorrhaging money can keep Apple or Amazon out of something they want is laughable. The conferences don’t want to only be on streaming yet. That’s why.

Reactions: cyfanatic

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Mizzou and A&M are advocating KU to SEC. KU kept good relations with those two schools and when I heard KU’s football stadium renovations and then Mizzou’s I went hmmmmm. I think the big 12 is in trouble and KU will jump if SEC offers. Not good.
Of course they would jump, they would be idiots not to, ya got a source for that first sentence?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Opposite, Washington and Oregon came to the big ten. No one in the PAC wanted to be on streaming only as it’s kind of a death sentence for relevance currently, that will change over time.

The PAC was also never able to put a deal on the table, that’s what good reporters like Jason Schryer were saying over and over gain. There was no deal to vote on because there was never a real deal.

1715283568365.jpeg

If all they had to was ask the Big 10 to join why didn’t they do it earlier?

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I don't either.

But if KU did, it would be due to the SEC's recent push to be the basketball power.
KU would be that 20th team if the SEC expands to 20 teams. Sankey knows basketball is gonna blow up and bring in considerably more dollars so KU would get the nod. Plus it’s a natural rival with Mizzou.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Wow this is just so off. The NFL has one game a week on streaming, same for the NBA. That’s not as much content as you think.

Also just becuase they don’t have regular season content why wouldn’t they still want the playoff that almost always draws more eyeballs then the regular season games?

You logic just doesn’t make sense. I get it, you want to feel like there is some massive plot behind the curtain but the idea that ESPN which is hemorrhaging money can keep Apple or Amazon out of something they want is laughable. The conferences don’t want to only be on streaming yet. That’s why.
The NFL, NBA and MLB all provide their regular season partners access to their respective playoffs for good reason. Even Peacock got an NFL playoff game. There is no rational entity that would attempt to blow out an incumbent bidder for a partial or full post season package only with no regular season promotion of their post season package.

The CFP Committee with their SEC/B10/ESPN/Fox influence basically told both Apple and Amazon don't bother bidding and then you have absurdity of Fox not even bidding because of the sublicensing option that was given to ESPN for their below market bid and in turn, that option can be granted to Fox, also at below market value.

Helluva deal for ESPN and Fox to use their puppets to their financial advantage.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
This again. Must be the offseason huh?

ESPN, which has purchased decision making from the SEC has also purchased the decision making for the Big 12. This entire rumor is not in their best interest.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The NFL, NBA and MLB all provide their regular season partners access to their respective playoffs for good reason. Even Peacock got an NFL playoff game. There is no rational entity that would attempt to blow out an incumbent bidder for a partial or full post season package only with no regular season promotion of their post season package.

The CFP Committee with their SEC/B10/ESPN/Fox influence basically told both Apple and Amazon don't bother bidding and then you have absurdity of Fox not even bidding because of the sublicensing option that was given to ESPN for their below market bid and in turn, that option can be granted to Fox, also at below market value.

Helluva deal for ESPN and Fox to use their puppets to their financial advantage.
Dude you’re making a conspiracy theory out of nothing. CFB does not want their big games on streaming, it’s not hard, it’s not some shady back room deal. It’s just that simple. The NFL has one wildcard game that just started this season and people hated it plus it has the lowest ratings of the playoffs. The NFL can take that risk because it’s the NFL. CFB is fairly risk adverse. This isn’t complicated

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Apple and Amazon don't have P4 regular season content, thus no interest in the CFP. ESPN and Fox have orchestrated their exclusion.
I don't see it as a conspiracy as much as Amazon & Apple feeling fan adoption/acceptance of subscription based sports viewership hasn't reached a profitable level for them.

Amazon & Apple are going to let the FOX, Disney & Warner Bros sports platform work out kinks and make the big investments to learn. At this point FOX and Disney can fall back on their OTA channels, something Amazon & Apple don't have the luxury of.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I don't see it as a conspiracy as much as Amazon & Apple feeling fan adoption/acceptance of subscription based sports viewership hasn't reached a profitable level for them.

Amazon & Apple are going to let the FOX, Disney & Warner Bros sports platform work out kinks and make the big investments to learn. At this point FOX and Disney can fall back on their OTA channels, something Amazon & Apple don't have the luxury of.
Amazon is going to be a new partner of the NBA and already is engaged with the NFL. Your first sentence doesn't make sense.

And the reason they and Apple aren't in the CFP regular season space is that regular season and playoff packages aren't aggregated. Apple lowballed the PAC for good reason, it was a regional West Coast package only with no guarantee of CFP access at that time. And Amazon bid more than NBC and CBS for B10 rights but with Fox at the negotiating table, Amazon was going to get shut out because Fox (along with ESPN) didn't want them in on the CFP bidding.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Isn't spending every dime kind of expected. You can't expect a school to be financially responsible. It's not in their nature.

Looking at the link I provided, it looks like basically every school, no matter the conference is spending money as fast as it comes in. The B10 is not any different spending wise as the B12, except most of them started with more money but they are still spending most if not all of it.

No one knows if this is going to pass, the 17 to 22 million mentioned right now is just a number, until it goes into effect why worry about it. Schools will be given a date down the road to make it happen and it will up to them to figure it out. Maybe less stadiums being rebuilt and coaches making less money, so the football coach now makes $5 million instead of $8 million. Hell I am sure there will be schools that will not want to go down this path, and the top 30-40 schools that do will break away and the rest will keep the current system.

Yeah, just saying cutting back 20 mil of spending to make it work is going to be hard to do, That is more than 1/4 of all revenue that many in the B12 take in.

Whether that number is close to correct, etc is yet to be seen. But if it is whether we are spending everything just to spend it, or we have a significant surplus etc, doesnt really matter because at that amount it wont just be about cutting back on extra spending, it will be substantial cuts to facility improvements, sponsored sports, and more. Non rev sports will just become a bigger drain on the finances. Are schools going to continue to field things like soccer, track, gymnastics etc, when not only do they lose money as they stand but also will cost significantly more because of paying the players.

My guess is most schools will cut several sports, and will only continue the bare minimum in most cases.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Dude you’re making a conspiracy theory out of nothing. CFB does not want their big games on streaming, it’s not hard, it’s not some shady back room deal. It’s just that simple. The NFL has one wildcard game that just started this season and people hated it plus it has the lowest ratings of the playoffs. The NFL can take that risk because it’s the NFL. CFB is fairly risk adverse. This isn’t complicated
No Sparty, this is all about ESPN/Fox orchestration of CFB to their benefit. The recent CFP bidding process and award with the ESPN sublicensing option provided clear evidence of that.

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlySpartan