Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
They are a separate thing but yes they are intertwined.

The transfer rules aren’t going anywhere nor should they. Every athlete should be able to transfer the way a normal student or the majority of employees are. Circumstances change and they should be able to take advantage.

If it makes the job harder for the coach then so what, it’s what your getting paid millions a year to manage and plenty of people would happily take over that position.
I agree completely but as a college > pro guy, a lot of that was watching players grow within a program and becoming super fans of them. You're not gonna get that as often in this new world with the constant transferring. But it is what it is.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
OK. So, either Crakes, Hancock, or Thompson have the primary marketing data. I'll check with ine of them then. Thanks.
I haven't seen any marketing data published. I have seen the knucklehead Tony Altimore publish his viewpoint that 50% of the viewership is due to 18 teams.

Crakes and Thompson are former Fox executives who I assume are as tuned in to marketing data as anyone can be, and they view that the super league will be the future. But I agree with you and not them that this super league will have a hard time getting traction when they exclude fans of the schools not in the super league.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I haven't seen any marketing data published. I have seen the knucklehead Tony Altimore publish his viewpoint that 50% of the viewership is due to 18 teams.

Crakes and Thompson are former Fox executives who I assume are as tuned in to marketing data as anyone can be, and they view that the super league will be the future. But I agree with you and not them that this super league will have a hard time getting traction when they exclude fans of the schools not in the super league.

This is hardly informative. CUSA teams aren't on broadcast tv all that much unless they are playing a P5, and SEC and B1G schools are on broadcast tv for the casual watcher to find every week.

Talk about ratings the way Altimore does is always a chicken and egg conversation.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I agree completely but as a college > pro guy, a lot of that was watching players grow within a program and becoming super fans of them. You're not gonna get that as often in this new world with the constant transferring. But it is what it is.
I do agree with that but there will still be multi year players on every team. I do get your point though for basketball especially.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Looks like Patrick Crakes and Bob Thompson are weighing in currently on the Super League. They view it happening and have rebutted the responses that people won't watch if not part of the Super League.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

The transfer rules aren’t going anywhere nor should they. Every athlete should be able to transfer the way a normal student or the majority of employees are. Circumstances change and they should be able to take advantage.

If it makes the job harder for the coach then so what, it’s what your getting paid millions a year to manage and plenty of people would happily take over that position.
The transfer rules absolutely need to be tightened up and modified from the current ********.

Scholarship student athletes are not the same as normal students. There is a tremendous amount of time and financial resources invested by schools during the athlete's recruiting process. Those athletes typically have the freedom of choice amongst their full ride options offered to them. That freedom of choice by the athletes should absolutely be in exchange for transfer rules that would help limit, but not penalize, their movement. Sitting out a year rightfully limits their movement but doesn't penalize them in terms of remaining eligibility. Obviously exceptions can be made when the HC leaves for another job and for grad transfers.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Looks like Patrick Crakes and Bob Thompson are weighing in currently on the Super League. They view it happening and have rebutted the responses that people won't watch if not part of the Super League.

Help me out, when they are talking about the Super League do they mean the proposed CFB realignment for everyone or the SEC-B1G combining into a big brands conference excluding the others?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The transfer rules absolutely need to be tightened up and modified from the current ********.

Scholarship student athletes are not the same as normal students. There is a tremendous amount of time and financial resources invested by schools during the athlete's recruiting process. Those athletes typically have the freedom of choice amongst their full ride options offered to them. That freedom of choice by the athletes should absolutely be in exchange for transfer rules that would help limit, but not penalize, their movement. Sitting out a year rightfully limits their movement but doesn't penalize them in terms of remaining eligibility. Obviously exceptions can be made when the HC leaves for another job and for grad transfers.
Cool, that’s what the millions the AD and coaching staff make are for. It’s their job to retain talent as much as it is to recruit it. Players should have every right to transfer and we are never going back to sitting out a year.

Regardless of if it’s for fit, playing time, family reasons, or money, these kids should have the ability to transfer wherever they see fit for whatever reason. It’s what you would want if you were in their shoes. As fans we might not agree but it’s 100% what’s right for the player. Even if that decision ends up being a bad one, it’s their call to make.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Help me out, when they are talking about the Super League do they mean the proposed CFB realignment for everyone or the SEC-B1G combining into a big brands conference excluding the others?
The latter

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The "stakeholders" providing the input on 30 something schools being moneymakers for them are ESPN and Fox who currently control the sport and realignment. And they only care about their bottom lines and not the damage they have already inflicted to ORSt and Wazzu and the damage ESPN plans to inflict on multiple ACC schools like Syracuse whose President is on the Super League Committee. The 70-80 school Super League will rightfully wrest control of the sport from them.

Reactions: HouClone

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Yeah, I see the confusion, and I am guilty of using the same name when talking about different things. The Super League term was for the 80 team league proposed by the WV and Syracuse presidents. Crakes and Thompson are saying the Super League won't be 80 teams but will be a lot less, 34 teams or less.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
The "stakeholders" providing the input on 30 something schools being moneymakers for them are ESPN and Fox who currently control the sport and realignment. And they only care about their bottom lines and not the damage they have already inflicted to ORSt and Wazzu and the damage ESPN plans to inflict on multiple ACC schools like Syracuse whose President is on the Super League Committee. The Super League will rightfully wrest control of the sport from them.
Yep. It is up to the college presidents and fans to fight back against the media's interest which is consolidation. For example, if you ask Fox/ESPN/CBS, etc. about baseball, they probably would want to consolidate it down to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and others excluding 25-50% of the teams.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Cool, that’s what the millions the AD and coaching staff make are for. It’s their job to retain talent as much as it is to recruit it. Players should have every right to transfer and we are never going back to sitting out a year.

Regardless of if it’s for fit, playing time, family reasons, or money, these kids should have the ability to transfer wherever they see fit for whatever reason. It’s what you would want if you were in their shoes. As fans we might not agree but it’s 100% what’s right for the player. Even if that decision ends up being a bad one, it’s their call to make.
Who said they shouldn't have the ability to transfer wherever they see fit and for whatever reason? They can but they sit out a season in doing so without losing eligibility. And they don't sit if their HC leaves or if they are a grad transfer.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Who said they shouldn't have the ability to transfer wherever they see fit and for whatever reason? They can but they sit out a season in doing so without losing eligibility. And they don't sit if their HC leaves or if they are a grad transfer.
Sitting out is a non factor that is never coming back. The impact that has on draft capital is insane plus it just turns into a weird thing where you have people in college for 8 years if it doesn’t cost eligibility

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Yep. It is up to the college presidents and fans to fight back against the media's interest which is consolidation. For example, if you ask Fox/ESPN/CBS, etc. about baseball, they probably would want to consolidate it down to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and others excluding 25-50% of the teams.
Yep, that is the way it is for the NBA and NFL as well. The difference in CFB is the existing control of the sport by ESPN and Fox and their puppets, Greg Sankey and Tony Petitti. ESPN and Fox want to realign the sport solely to their benefit and keep new entrants like Amazon and Apple out of the sport.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Sitting out is a non factor that is never coming back. The impact that has on draft capital is insane plus it just turns into a weird thing where you have people in college for 8 years if it doesn’t cost eligibility
Sitting out to some extent will likely come back if/when a CBA is set with athletes whether they be W-2 employees, 1099 contractors or as another class of non-employees.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
This, to me, seems like a simple demographic analysis. How many people outside a geographic area can/will identify with a team to the point of ponying up to watch them? Personally, I would quickly lose interest if they went that route.
Also, per that diagram above, in my lifetime I can see at least 4 teams that weren't even close to being on that list when I was younger. Yes, I now consider myself old. The point is winning and marketing make those teams and, at the same time can destroy those teams.
There's a reason the top $$$ haven't yet jumped into this. My guess is to first see how ESPN, Fox, and to some degree CBS make out. AND, of course, to see the ramifications of NIL.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Students at these universities are not getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to go there and take classes, but the athletes are, there is the difference. We are edging closer every day to making the players employees of the school, thereby locking them into the school for a set amount of time. Give them one free transfer and they sign a contract with the school.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Can we ban Altimore tweets. Hes just as bad as MV3r or whatever his name is.

They guy might not be an idiot, but his data is almost always biased and flawed, he constantly manipulates his data to prove his agenda.

He is worse than a rando that speculates and claims sources, he claims his info is factual, and its a total deception, while at least appearing to be a person in the know, because of his claimed business.

His info is as accurate as his profile pic from '95, is as accurate of how he looks today.