Raising Canes Sucks

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
A lot of this comes down to personal taste.

Do you like chicken, or do you like the seasoning.
Do you like chicken, or do you like the sauce.
Do you like seasoned fries or do you like plain fries.
Do you like grilled or fried etc.
Do you like crunchy thick breading or little to none.

I like Canes for what it is, it is good chicken, with breading that is just about right, and decent plain fries.
I do like crunchy breading too, I also like seasoned chicken too, but it is not fair to compare those to each other. You cant compare spicy chicken to regular chicken expecting them to be the same thing.

There are better out there, but there are by far worse. Personally I think Canes is far superior to Slims, at least for the chicken.

I have only had Chick fil a a few times and every time I think it falls far short of the hype. Its ok, but it is not nearly as good as some make it out to be. I have yet to find anything they have as being my favorite of the type.

Reactions: MeanDean

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Big fry has brainwashed you into seeing a difference that doesn’t exist.
Oh there's definitely a difference in fry quality from chain to chain. Anyone who's had In N Out fries can tell you that their fries are absolute garbage. I just don't think the fries at Canes are much better or worse than at Slim's. They're a wash, as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If you're ever down in the St Louis area, Chuck's hot chicken is worth a visit. They have 4 or 5 locations, I think.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Why anybody would choose Rasing Cane's over Chic-fil-a boggles the mind.
Personally, I like heavy breading on chicken tenders so prefer Cane's when in that mood but I also really like the spicy chicken sandwich at Chic - and their nuggets are good. I don't do sauces so that doesn't make a difference to me. I've only eaten at Slim Chicken (think that was the one, it was in north Ankeny) once when I was driving through Ankeny. I think if I remember I liked the unsauced tenders more than Cane's though.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I like bone in chicken. Popeyes bone in chicken isn't nearly as good as Kwik Star.
I don't know what it is, but I cannot eat anything but chicken breasts/tenders/nuggets. I love the meat, but for some reason the thought of biting into a chicken wing, thigh, or leg makes me want to vomit and has as far back as I can remember (5ish). So fricken odd.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm down to keep bumping this thread about a restaurant that mainly sells sauce in one flavor.

Here's my idea if anyone wants to steal it. We have a pretty good pizza chain called "Lucifer's" and it's devil themed because they use spicy pizza sauce. Start up a chicken strip/nugget/sandwich food truck biz with a devil/naughty theme, make the chicken really spicy, only run them on Sundays and park them as close as possible to every Chic Fil A. Profit. You'll get the crowd that thinks it's funny to have devil chicken vs jesus chicken, you'll get the chic fil and Canes a haters because it's so spicy, and most importantly you'll get the CFA customers that always forget it's Sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Ornery chicken is the best chicken in the metro

Haven't tried Ornery, but I would nominate Krispy Krunchy Chicken as the best I've had. Once you get past the fact that it's located within a random liquor store (in West DSM on 22nd near University), their chicken is phenomenal. Very juicy & just enough spice in the breading. Jambalaya side & their honey biscuits were great, too (Mac & cheese just average, haven't tried the other sides).

One knock is they don't have breasts, just wings/legs/thighs, but I prefer dark meat anyway. Give em a try if you're in the area.

• Informative
Reactions: ClonerJams

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I know Cane's gets a lot of **** in this thread, but can we shine some light on how ****** and overpriced Popeyes is?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm down to keep bumping this thread about a restaurant that mainly sells sauce in one flavor.

Here's my idea if anyone wants to steal it. We have a pretty good pizza chain called "Lucifer's" and it's devil themed because they use spicy pizza sauce. Start up a chicken strip/nugget/sandwich food truck biz with a devil/naughty theme, make the chicken really spicy, only run them on Sundays and park them as close as possible to every Chic Fil A. Profit. You'll get the crowd that thinks it's funny to have devil chicken vs jesus chicken, you'll get the chic fil and Canes a haters because it's so spicy, and most importantly you'll get the CFA customers that always forget it's Sunday.

The ironic thing is that when the 4 of us and my mom/dad go to Cane's, none of us will touch the sauce and they refuse not to give it to you so we throw away a bag full of that stuff.

I know Cane's gets a lot of **** in this thread, but can we shine some light on how ****** and overpriced Popeyes is?

OMG. I've only gone once over lunch when I had to run an errand over on Merle Hay. I think I ordered tenders, soda, fries, and a biscuit and it was something crazy like $17. That was maybe 18 months ago. I liked the food but will NEVER go again.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
The ironic thing is that when the 4 of us and my mom/dad go to Cane's, none of us will touch the sauce and they refuse not to give it to you so we throw away a bag full of that stuff.

OMG. I've only gone once over lunch when I had to run an errand over on Merle Hay. I think I ordered tenders, soda, fries, and a biscuit and it was something crazy like $17. That was maybe 18 months ago. I liked the food but will NEVER go again.

Looks like a 5 strip meal at Popeye's (Merle Hay location) is $14.50. 6 strip meal at Canes (86th St) is $15.45. Seems to be pretty similar.

Neither as bad as 5 Guys...

Help Support Us

Become a patron