Principal Financial-Remote work

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Forcing in person work is the epitome of bad management. Some people need 100% in office. Some people need 100% remote. Others do well with various forms of a hybrid set up. Anyone that argues for an organizational approach is stupid. Good managers should be making case by case decisions. If a manager isn’t able to do that they aren’t a very good manager.
This is what I have been saying!

They are just trying to blanket everyone, and that shouldn't be the case. If I were forced back to the office, I would literally go in and sit by myself with none of my team and just be on Teams calls all day with people across the country/world. I wouldn't know anyone in the building.

now, If I were a helpdesk technician or someone who deals with customers, etc., I would expect to be in the office.

I can tell you one thing for sure, though— If this happens, my actual work day will become a lot shorter.
I probably work way more than I should remotely currently. In the office, I will just pack up and leave at 4.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
The problem is most companies sign 20-30 year leases so they're stuck with office space (unless they want to break said lease).

In my previous role, the company had just built a brand new building before/during the pandemic and were forcing people to go back in so they could prove it was worth it. When I traveled there twice I spent the entire time on conference calls with people in other locations.

I don't think that's true. I worked for a commercial real estate company a couple years ago, very few leased for longer than 10 years - most were between 5-10. Obviously that's just the DSM metro, but google seems to agree.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
DSM gave Maverick an annual payout for having people downtown 3 days a week.

I expect the payout for AEL to be FAR bigger as they are 2-3x the size.

This is a massive win for downtown businesses who are really struggling with WFH

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

This is a massive win for downtown businesses who are really struggling with WFH

I’m sure those companies will be passing down those payouts to their employees! In the current climate of inflation coupled with greedflation you’re just going to get a bunch of pissed off people that have to drive downtown every day causing them to have even less money in their pocket and paying a big time cost.

Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I mean to that last part sounds like those businesses need to adapt to a post-covid world.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

I assumed Brookfield owned buildings downtown and that is why AEL will move there eventually.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I'm downtown 1 day a week and there's plenty of people around. All of the lunch places seem to be fairly busy. I don't think they are doing too bad.

Reactions: wxman1

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't think that's true. I worked for a commercial real estate company a couple years ago, very few leased for longer than 10 years - most were between 5-10. Obviously that's just the DSM metro, but google seems to agree.
I work in commercial real estate on the east coast and I'd say it's more like 3 to 5 year leases from what I've seen and there's a lottt of totally empty commercial space

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting! I have family in Quincy, IL. It's a struggling river town. They tried this a few years ago by offering $5000 in tax incentives for people to move there, provided they worked in specific sectors. I don't know how well it's working for them, though.

https://www.quincyil.gov/growth/eco...rovides a rebate,full year residing in Quincy).

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I mean to that last part sounds like those businesses need to adapt to a post-covid world.
Is it the businesses that need to adapt or is it the people that need to adapt and accept Covid is in the rear view mirror so a post-covid world may mean going back to the pre-covid work expectations? Food for thought that many don't want to consider.

That said, I've worked from home since 1998 suckas :)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: RealisticCy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Is it the businesses that need to adapt or is it the people that need to adapt and accept Covid is in the rear view mirror so a post-covid world may mean going back to the pre-covid work expectations. Food for thought that many don't want to consider.

It's been shown that many, many jobs can be done partially, if not fully at home. It opens opportunities to rural employees, those with caregiving needs, accessibility needs - and many, many people (not all) like having that flexibility in their life. The idea that we need to go backward because lunch business can't adapt and too many incompetent executives can't give up control is beyond asinine to me. The vast majority of RTOs being used as passive aggressive layoffs or otherwise as a method to control employees further cements my belief that it has nothing to do with productivity.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Is it the businesses that need to adapt or is it the people that need to adapt and accept Covid is in the rear view mirror so a post-covid world may mean going back to the pre-covid work expectations? Food for thought that many don't want to consider.

The business world needs to adapt. Companies that mandate RTO across the board are limiting themselves in multiple ways.

First, their talent pool is limited to a local area.

Second, if employees want to (and they overwhelmingly do) work from home and they have the option, a lot of them are going to take it.

Third, employees working from home have more flexibility, often work more hours, and aren't drained by grueling commutes 2x times per day.

Fourth, there's reduced need for office space which will eventually translate to savings once the companies get out from under their pre-2020 leases.

Of course, this is going to vary by industry and role and a lot of jobs really can't be done remotely. Most of the reasons floated (productivity, team building, corporate culture, fairness to those who have jobs that can't be done remotely) are just BS and not supported by data.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The business world needs to adapt. Companies that mandate RTO across the board are limiting themselves in multiple ways.

First, their talent pool is limited to a local area.

Second, if employees want to (and they overwhelmingly do) work from home and they have the option, a lot of them are going to take it.

Third, employees working from home have more flexibility, often work more hours, and aren't drained by grueling commutes 2x times per day.

Fourth, there's reduced need for office space which will eventually translate to savings once the companies get out from under their pre-2020 leases.

Of course, this is going to vary by industry and role and a lot of jobs really can't be done remotely. Most of the reasons floated (productivity, team building, corporate culture, fairness to those who have jobs that can't be done remotely) are just BS and not supported by data.

Employers use productivity as an excuse but then refuse to enforce in-office time for those that aren't productive working from home. I've had one co-worker that has been hard to get a hold of, non-productive, and I'd bet a lot he doesn't do a lot of work at home---so he should be forced to show up to the office. But they won't force him and instead will punish everyone else.

Reactions: RealisticCy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Employers use productivity as an excuse but then refuse to enforce in-office time for those that aren't productive working from home. I've had one co-worker that has been hard to get a hold of, non-productive, and I'd bet a lot he doesn't do a lot of work at home---so he should be forced to show up to the office. But they won't force him and instead will punish everyone else.

I wouldn't force that person into the office.

They should be on a performance improvement plan with next steps. Final step if they don't come off would be a termination.

It's called ******* management

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't force that person into the office.

They should be on a performance improvement plan with next steps. Final step if they don't come off would be a termination.

It's called ******* management

Right. But getting them into the office would be a part of the PIP. I'm also convinced that a legit threat of going into the office 5 days per week would scare some (not all) non-performers into doing better work.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I'm downtown 1 day a week and there's plenty of people around. All of the lunch places seem to be fairly busy. I don't think they are doing too bad.
This isn't very accurate. What one day are you downtown? I work downtown five days per week and frequent Basil, Local Bites, and South Union two or three times a week on a rotating basis. Monday and Friday are straight up dead for people in the skywalks. The other days have more people but can still be pretty sparse.