Pete Carroll Reaches Deal With Seahawks

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Holy. ****.

I really thought that Pete Carroll would stay at USC until he retired. Its a plum job in a great recruiting area and he's been getting paid very well. I just don't understand why he would go back to the NFL where one mediocre year will get you fired.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
Who does USC go after to replace him? Leach and Leavitt are big names but do you hire a coach that just got fired for misconduct? I don't think so. My number one target if I'm USC...Chris Peterson from Boise State. He recruits california already and he obviously knows how to coach.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Who does USC go after to replace him? Leach and Leavitt are big names but do you hire a coach that just got fired for misconduct? I don't think so. My number one target if I'm USC...Chris Peterson from Boise State. He recruits california already and he obviously knows how to coach.

I think he's the obvious hot name out there but I dont see him leaving Boise. I could see them making a run at Sarkisian (Sp) the former USC assistant who took the Washington job, and I really think they are a year late on the guy would have loved to hire but Lane Kiffin already has a sweet gig.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
ESPN said Mike Reilly of Oregon State, I'd bet they definitely gauge Peterson's interest, Tuberville will throw his name in there I'm sure, possibly Sarkisian from Washington.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It took one mediocre season for him to see a brighter future somewhere else, I'm actually kind of surprised because in all of his interviews, he talks about how much he loves the college game. All coach speak I guess...or a whole lot of money.

Sources: USC Trojans' Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks reach agreement on coaching contract - ESPN

I doubt this past season was the only reason he is taking this opportunity. I am sure he feels that 10 or so years at one place is enough and the fact that he just might want to prove himself at the NFL level. He might not have that many opportunities left as he is nearing an age that some might think is too old to rebuild with. Pete is a bit older than he looks.

All above...and that much money...I don't blame him one bit!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
ESPN said Mike Reilly of Oregon State, I'd bet they definitely gauge Peterson's interest, Tuberville will throw his name in there I'm sure, possibly Sarkisian from Washington.

I wonder if Sarkisian is wishing he had stayed at USC one more year? This might be the job that Chris Peterson jumps at...if given the chance!

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Well they might as well pick the coach who whipped there *** this year and beat them while they were number 1 last year.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Harbaugh??? I'm guessing Harbaugh enjoys embarassing them more than he would like leading them. He would do well there though I think.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I've also heard Fisher's name out the (Titans HC). I think some also mentiond Jack Del Rio. I'm pretty sure both these guys have USC connections.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I think he's the obvious hot name out there but I dont see him leaving Boise. I could see them making a run at Sarkisian (Sp) the former USC assistant who took the Washington job, and I really think they are a year late on the guy would have loved to hire but Lane Kiffin already has a sweet gig.

I wonder if Sarkisian is wishing he had stayed at USC one more year? This might be the job that Chris Peterson jumps at...if given the chance!

I don't know...but boy stealing Sarkisian from UW would be a kick in the pills, wouldn't it?

Chris Petersen has a much better team in Boise than he would have at SC. Of course that didn't stop Brian Kelly.

This. Boise is being mentioned as a national title contender, and with two big OOC games next year, losing ONE starter, and the "big" programs falling off...if they can go 13-0 again, they should be playing in the NC game. I can't think of an accomplishment quite like winning a NC with a non-AQ team. As a coach, I'd want that on my resume.

Back to Carroll. I wonder if the NCAA investigations have anything to do with this. They're investigating Bush, McKnight, and USC already self-imposed sanctions on the BB team because of the Floyd/Mayo controversy. It's hard to get the best players when you don't cheat, and it's REALLY hard to cheat when you're being watched.

Of course, "...before the Super Bowl, Bill Beeeelicheck gathered his football players and said, 'let's win this one for real! Just this one time! Let's not cheat!' You know what happened? They LOST! Even if you feel like all eyes are upon you, you cannot give up on cheating, or you can lose the biggest game of your lives."

b35da3933c_track04132008.jpg

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Carroll probably decided it was getting harder to find coordinators that made him look good in the college game so he is going to try the pros again. I do think it is some serious sanctions coming and he wants out.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This should be a good lesson to all of you hand-wringing Cyclone fans that are always worried about our program being a "stepping stone" and always looking for a coach that will "stay forever"....

1) In the coaching business, every job is a stepping stone to some extent (USC was a stepping stone back to the pros for Pete Carroll).

2) 10 years in the coaching business is about as forever as it gets...whether the coach has done fantastically well or not.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Dan McCarney will be tops on the list!

Obviously Dan McCarney will be a top runner for the job! :jimlad:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Holy. ****.

I really thought that Pete Carroll would stay at USC until he retired. Its a plum job in a great recruiting area and he's been getting paid very well. I just don't understand why he would go back to the NFL where one mediocre year will get you fired.

4 words. Lack of institutional control. USC is about to get hit hard, and Pete doesn't want to be the fall guy. Reggie Bush, OJ Mayo, that kid who was driving the Land Rover around...Pete knows what time it is.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
This should be a good lesson to all of you hand-wringing Cyclone fans that are always worried about our program being a "stepping stone" and always looking for a coach that will "stay forever"....

1) In the coaching business, every job is a stepping stone to some extent (USC was a stepping stone back to the pros for Pete Carroll).

2) 10 years in the coaching business is about as forever as it gets...whether the coach has done fantastically well or not.

Ring ring....hello....hey Cyclonenum1 Joe Pa and Bobby Bowden on line 1 for you.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
4 words. Lack of institutional control. USC is about to get hit hard, and Pete doesn't want to be the fall guy. Reggie Bush, OJ Mayo, that kid who was driving the Land Rover around...Pete knows what time it is.

Yup, way more of this is the reason than anything else. If he was going to "step up" to a NFL gig he's had several chances at betters spots prior to this.

Help Support Us

Become a patron