percy

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
And it was at the end when we were trying to run out the clock. It must have been so hard for him. :smile:

Percy really does have a nice offensive game, that's why he plays. He has nice a nice shot and decent post moves.
I wondered if he was specifically told not to shoot on those possessions.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
What is the outlook on Percy's playing time next year with the 3 JUCO bigs (Edozie, Amardi, Hogue) coming in?

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
He was even triple teamed today when he got swatted.

Why not triple team him when he get it in low like that? You know there's a 90% chance (probably higher) that he'll shoot it, and a 99% chance (probably higher) that it'll be with his left hand. If you have a very low chance of being beat by a kick-out, and you know where the shot is going to come from, you might as well put a block on your stat sheet.

I like the kid a lot. But he has to find his right hand and learn to pass out of the block sometimes.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
What is the outlook on Percy's playing time next year with the 3 JUCO bigs (Edozie, Amardi, Hogue) coming in?

I don't see a lot of impact on Percy's time next year. Booker will be gone. Amardi will get a few minutes but really needs to work on his handling in the post. Hogue is not a big body and I don't see him vying for time at Percy's position. The wild card is Edozie.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
All that is really needed out of Booker and Gibson this year are rebounds, the occassional blocked shot, few fouls, and some interior defense. Any scoring they do will just be icing on the cake. Those other contributions they can make is what will help this team win.

Percy has to lean to pass the ball back out when he does not have a clear path to the basket. This offense is based on everyone passing as quickly as possible to find or create the open shot. In this offseason, I really hope Niang will work with Percy on developing his post moves, and I hope Percy will accept the help if it is offered. Otherwise, I really think he may see fewer minutes of playing time next year with the JC transfers coming in.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Just a couple things I need to draw a point to after reading this thread. Firstly when Percy is in the game he is being asked to do completely diffrent things than Niang. So the comparison is very off very much apple to oranges. Percy is a true post and Niang is more a hybrid player playing 95% of the time facing the basket. Last year Percy benifited from Royce and his ablity to draw almost the whole defense to him once he entered the lane leaving percy more open than he will ever be this year. That played into Percy's game great hands, big body, and nice ablity to finish around the rim. This year is a learning year because Royce is gone and Percy is getting a lot more attention when he gets touches in the paint.

Nextly those poor shots your talk about from Percy are similar to body shots in boxing and a 2 or 3 yard run in football. You need to take some of those to keep the defense honest and still in the end of the day a 2,3,4 foot shot even slightly contested is a very favorable shot because of its proximity to the rim.

Lets please lighten up on Percy hes playing a nice roll on this years team and is improved. I think this website gets a little to in love with the 3 ball and is a bit critial of the bigs.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I like Percy. But I wouldn't say he has a lot of post moves. Not a criticism of him or this post. Just funny how different people see things differently. Seems like he pretty much only goes left. Has got to develop his right hand.

He does seem to have good hands and a nice short-range jumper. I think he has a lot of upside.

I choose my words carefully. Notice I didn't say "a lot". Just that he has some. Sure there is room for improvement. We are in agreement, I think he has a lot of upside too. He should only get better, as he's just a sophomore.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I never saw a player get extra loud cheers from the crowd for simply making ONE pass... Until last night.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
I keep hoping for one of those Rocky moments where Coach yells "NOW" and he starts throwing everything in right handed.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I need a photoshop master! I want to see the following:

images

This picture, with Percy Gibsons head, a basketball in his hand, and the title, "Percy Gibson, the Pass Thief"

aaaand, GO!

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Percy needs to go to a big mans camp this off season, has a lot of upside, but still needs a lot of footwork.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I don't see a lot of impact on Percy's time next year. Booker will be gone. Amardi will get a few minutes but really needs to work on his handling in the post. Hogue is not a big body and I don't see him vying for time at Percy's position. The wild card is Edozie.

Percy has the abilty to be a great low-post scorer. I think he and Niang become excellent partners down low next year, Niang setting Percy up for a lot of easy baskets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron