People saying being ranked doesnt matter

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Isn't rpi using the polls to some extent?

If so the fact that only two big 12 teams are ranked is hurting ours. We need to be ranked to boost our rpi.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The time it matters is in the last three polls of the year. This teams goals should be win 22 games, finish in the top 4 of the Big 12. Take care of what you can get in the tourny and dont worry about what others think of you.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Isn't rpi using the polls to some extent?

If so the fact that only two big 12 teams are ranked is hurting ours. We need to be ranked to boost our rpi.

This isn't the BCS ranking. I'm pretty sure RPI only takes other teams (your opponents) RPI and SOS into account. So really it is just who you play (and who they play...) and whether you win or not. No bozos' opinions are in the mix.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
The time it matters is in the last three polls of the year. This teams goals should be win 22 games, finish in the top 4 of the Big 12. Take care of what you can get in the tourny and dont worry about what others think of you.
agreed. Hopefully the team is thinking this way. Selfishly as a fan I'm thinking about rankings

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
U have a point on it doesnt make you a better team but ranking has to be important to the selection comittee. When was the last time you saw a ranked team not make the tourny? I cant think of one. Still nice to be where we are at this time in the season. I can't remember the last time I was this exited for every game and felt like we could beat anyone home or away on any givin night. Or the last time in february I was mad becaused I felt we got jipped in the rankings. Exciting times

Win both games this week and check back next Monday. Who cares if we are ranked today it is all about being ranked at the end of the NCAA tournament.

McKinney

Feb 1, 2012
McKinney, TX
I think some fans want us to be ranked because they want what comes along with it...external validation that we have a great team, attention, maybe some better recruits taking notice, enhanced perception of the university, ability to talk with a casual basketball fan about your alma mater, etc.

I personally want us to be ranked because I want to start a run of 10 consecutive years in the rankings, not because of the rankings per se, but because that means we will have a consistent national program.:smile:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Okay, then I'll take back what I said. Still be nice to be recognized.

Eerily similar to 2000 where we win big 12 conf and tourney and get stuck w a 2 seed.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Beat OSU, A&M and we'll be ranked when we go to Waco. If we finish the season 21-10 and aren't ranked, so be it. Rankings are just hype and methodical... just like the seeding in the tournament. What really matters is what happens on the court, and I think we'll be just fine.

I can see us not being ranked even if we do win those two games and I'm totally fine with that. OSU and A&M aren't very good so not sure how much that helps us. We would definitely need the bottom tier of the top 25 to lose so we can move up.

I would definitely like to be ranked but you can't argue too much with the teams that are over us. If we hadn't lost to Drake and UNI..well that's another story. But everything is working out...I think those losses helped this team grow and we appear to be getting better as the weeks go on...hopefully peaking during the NCAA's.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Also, there are numerous things taken into consideration for an at large bid and AP Polls are just one of them. RPI is another thing taken into consideration.

This statement is wrong. the AP Poll is NOT taken into consideration by the selection committee.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
This statement is wrong. the AP Poll is NOT taken into consideration by the selection committee.
I was always under the impression that they looked at very many rankings, but held RPI in higher esteem than others. Maybe not. Where does it list what most SC's take into consideration?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The biggest perk to being ranked is that your highlights are just about guaranteed to hit Sportscenter. Aside from that, there's little advantage, especially in early February as others have mentioned.

.........and you get on the AP wire. It does matter to be ranked as we want our recruits to see us on TV and read about us in their hometown paper.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think some fans want us to be ranked because they want what comes along with it...external validation that we have a great team, attention, maybe some better recruits taking notice, enhanced perception of the university, ability to talk with a casual basketball fan about your alma mater, etc.

I personally want us to be ranked because I want to start a run of 10 consecutive years in the rankings, not because of the rankings per se, but because that means we will have a consistent national program.:smile:

True.

Ranking also helps provide some exposure — scores are on the ticker; top 25 highlights; more likely to get a matchup mentioned on Game Day, stuff like that.

I'm with you about starting a long run of rankings at some point. It becomes a major advantage for a program if you're consistently ranked over a long period of time (especially if you're in the top 15 frequently, and don't just dip in and out of 21-25 every once in a while).

I'm not worried if that starts a week from now :smile:

As for our primary goal now, the tournament, several fans are correct, top 25 doesn't play into that. It'd be fun to have both, certainly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron