Parrish: College coach best equipped to jump to NBA

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Candid Coaches: Which college coach is best equipped to jump to NBA? - CBSSports.com
  • Fred Hoiberg (19 percent)
  • Mike Krzyzewski (16 percent)
  • Billy Donovan (14 percent)
  • Bill Self (14 percent)
  • John Calipari (12 percent)
  • Tom Izzo (12 percent)
  • Thad Matta (5 percent)

On Fred Hoiberg: "He's a smart guy who understands the NBA from the perspective of a player as well as the perspective of an executive. I think it's practically guaranteed that he'll be an NBA coach someday, and probably sooner rather than later."

THE TAKEAWAY (BY GARY PARRISH)
Nobody has enhanced his reputation as a current and future coaching star over the past two years than Fred Hoiberg because, let's not forget, it seemed like a questionable move when his alma mater hired him in April 2010 despite the fact that Hoiberg had no previous coaching experience at any level. Turns out, experience wasn't necessary. Because, as they say, when you got it, you got it. And Hoiberg clearly has it -- both the talent and personality to flourish as a coach just like he once flourished as a player.
He also has NBA front-office experience.
That means Hoiberg has now been a successful college and professional player, a respected NBA executive and an accomplished Big 12 coach. In other words, his resume is diverse and impressive, and it's only a matter of time before an NBA franchise lures him from ISU. I've believed that for more than a year now, and I've stated it publicly many times. The results of our poll suggest, at the very least, that college coaches agree.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Yay?

On one hand, I think this could be a great recruiting tool. On the other hand, I think this may happen sooner than people would like.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm glad Iowa State has literally the best coach. Each year we are getting better recruits too. It won't be long until we have one of the best teams in the nation regularly.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'd be ecstatic if Fred coached in the college ranks half as long as some of those guys. I'm surprised that any coach other than Krzyzewski, Calipari, or Hoiberg has over 10% of the vote.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Look at that list of coaches-WOW! Thats great company for Fred, everyone else has a national championship or a runner-up (Matta)

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Fred's peers respect his coaching and both the NCAA and NBA are taking notice. It should also be noted that all the other top coaches referenced have spurned the NBA in the past, except Calipari, despite getting connected to multiple teams and one would guess very tempting offers. Why couldn't Hoiberg decide to do the same?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Fred's peers respect his coaching and both the NCAA and NBA are taking notice. It should also be noted that all the other top coaches referenced have spurned the NBA in the past, except Calipari, despite getting connected to multiple teams and one would guess very tempting offers. Why couldn't Hoiberg decide to do the same?

He could and I expect him to for the next couple years or so but many think Fred is a NBA coach coaching in college while the other coaches that went to the NBA from college were college coaches coaching in the NBA.

Fred just seems like a natural NBA coach who will get there eventually.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Of course someone outside of the program says he is gone sooner than later. Never fails with national media to not know anything. To me, this is more great press as every other coach listed is far more accomplished.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i really hope fred's twins love their grandparents. its our only hope.

Spam

May 21, 2008
If he goes to the NBA it will not be in the search of love, adulation, respect or money. It will take something else- the challenge, perhaps. And Fred is a guy who loves challenges. He is, however, not a guy that would leave a task incomplete.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As a head coach:
CFH hasn't won a conference title or tourney
CFH has not seriously contended for a Big 12 conference title
CFH hasn't made it to the Sweet 16
CFH has spent of all of one week(??) in the AP top 25 (at #25) in three seasons.

It would seem that there might still be quite a bit left on his ISU bucket list. IMO, he crosses a few more of those off before considering the NBA...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron