Optimism - Pattern is right for a solid Nebraska game...

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
[quoteWell, you, and many others on here whine about how bad we are, and how bad Gene is, then don't go.

I learned a long time ago, and I am 26, probably younger than you, that if something makes me as unhappy as it apparently makes you (and Tornado, Monty, Curt, Wesley, BrianHos, 22, well the list goes on from what I can tell), then avoid it.

Why do something that makes you miserable? I cannot think of one logical reason to do that.

If you are people that thrive on being unhappy, then keep it to yourselves, because I am sure that for every one of you there are ten people that are going to the game to actually root for the Cyclones.:no:

]

Trust me some of us have been going and rooting way long than you have been going to the game. If you except losing then that says a lot about you. The fact is that a lot of us have had it with losing. Chizik is supposed to be the the man. Well the man just got beat by a first year coach by the worst team in the big 12 every year so we can't really say it's only year 2 when year one guy just kicked our butts. Also they have a young QB also so we can't really say that now can we. So if you like losing then keep telling yourself how we can win this week when we show no signs of winning against Nebraska. If we win then great. If we lose we will be losing to another first year coach who's team is actually showing some life.[/quote]

bail quicker.

Last edited:

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
[quoteWell, you, and many others on here whine about how bad we are, and how bad Gene is, then don't go.

I learned a long time ago, and I am 26, probably younger than you, that if something makes me as unhappy as it apparently makes you (and Tornado, Monty, Curt, Wesley, BrianHos, 22, well the list goes on from what I can tell), then avoid it.

Why do something that makes you miserable? I cannot think of one logical reason to do that.

If you are people that thrive on being unhappy, then keep it to yourselves, because I am sure that for every one of you there are ten people that are going to the game to actually root for the Cyclones.:no:

]

Trust me some of us have been going and rooting way long than you have been going to the game. If you except losing then that says a lot about you. The fact is that a lot of us have had it with losing. Chizik is supposed to be the the man. Well the man just got beat by a first year coach by the worst team in the big 12 every year so we can't really say it's only year 2 when year one guy just kicked our butts. Also they have a young QB also so we can't really say that now can we. So if you like losing then keep telling yourself how we can win this week when we show no signs of winning against Nebraska. If we win then great. If we lose we will be losing to another first year coach who's team is actually showing some life.[/QUOTE]

You are another one of these guys.

It has nothing to do with accepting losing, at all. It has to do with understanding (and I had to move away from Iowa to get it) that Gene was left a four year rebuilding project due to Mac's failure to sustain a program.

I went through this nonsense with Monty yesterday, and I don't want to rehash it with you. But the fact is that we don't have enough Big 12 caliber players on this team, and many of the ones that we do have are ones that have only been here for a year.

The lines are in poor shape, a problem for many years, and you expect it to be better in less than two years? Wow.

The coaching has struggled this year, and it needs to improve. There is no question about that. I am not making excuses for Gene, they have screwed up countless times this season, and last year too. But you know, Mac didn't lose his job because the program was in too good of shape.

I loved Mac as much as anybody, but if you don't see that he still has bearing on the performance of this program, TODAY, then it is pointless to argue with you. That will diminish as Gene recruits more and more players, but when you can only bring in 25 at a time, it doesn't turn around overnight.

Reactions: Benny34

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Well the man just got beat by a first year coach by the worst team in the big 12 every year so we can't really say it's only year 2 when year one guy just kicked our butts. Also they have a young QB also so we can't really say that now can we. So if you like losing then keep telling yourself how we can win this week when we show no signs of winning against Nebraska. If we win then great. If we lose we will be losing to another first year coach who's team is actually showing some life.

I'd say we just took over that role.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Nebraska linebackers are suspect, so if we cannot run against them it may be a long day.

The 10000 people from Nebraska will be loud amd enthusiastic.

The Nebraska team will try to run at first.

Our offense needs to be less predictable than the last five years.

We cannot afford to get ay down in the first quarter.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Because NE would then be off to their worst conference start since 1945 and it will hurt their recruiting to lose to little old Ames.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I love the optimism. My life as a Cyclone fan would never grow if we didn't have any optimism.

Here's to a good ol' fashioned 31-21 Cyclone win!!

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
A win over Nebraska is important and should be considered a key win simply for the fact that we have not won a conference game yet this year. I think we can and will beat Nebraska, then follow up with confidence and destroy Texas A&M, then lose the rest of the season. 4 wins = crappy season, but improvement over last year.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
I think you guys are drinking way to much beer right now and it's monday morning. There is nothing this coaching staff is doing that might make me think beating Nebraska is possible. Nebraska is improving. We are getting worse. We just got pounded by a first year coach to one of the worst football teams in the country year in and year out. Our team can't run the football. Our team can't play defense which is what Chizik is supposed to known for being able to do.

Is Chizik the head coach or the DC?

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
Our team can't play defense which is what Chizik is supposed to known for being able to do.

I wonder what the stats are for Mac's teams over the years. Especially his first two, when he had to break in, not only a new system, but also a bunch of new players.

Mac was a hell of a D Coordinator at Wisconsin, when he was hired. So I am wondering about the similarities (you know dealing with players that were recruited by the previous staff).

Can anyone find that information? Since we are making huge generalizations here, let's see how they hold up.

Cyclones78227

Oct 3, 2008
San Antonio. Tx
I think our defense has been pretty good considering we don't have the athletes in place yet to do what the coaches want.

Can't rep you anymore.

You are actually correct, but people just want to complain.

I am so amazed at what I read on here, Gene was left a mess, and has had 1 1/2 recruiting classes, and we are supposed to be competing for Big 12 titles.

I feel sorry for McDermott, because it is a hell of a lot easier to win in basketball. The two bad teams that he put on the floor the last couple of years must have had the natives ready to kill.

Reactions: CycloneWanderer

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Because NE would then be off to their worst conference start since 1945 and it will hurt their recruiting to lose to little old Ames.

So how does that make us look any better beating a team who is off to their worst record? Just asking

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
30-0 Gene will show Pelini who the real defensive guru is. Let the meltdown in Lincoln begin! Pelini=gross gum chewer

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have no doubt we'll play well on Saturday. It'll be an up and down battle.

And yes, Pelini needs to learn how to chew with his mouth closed.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Beating Nebraska may not be a statement win in the regular sense, but it would do a lot to rejuvenate the fanbase and get some of the casual fans interested.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron