*** Official #25 IOWA STATE VS Iowa Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You're putting far too much emphasis on the tournament to tell how good a team actually is.

The two years prior to Prohm ISU was *this close* several times to having a similar record. I remember they were down by 18 to UNI and still didn't close it out when it went to OT.

I can't tell off hand what ISU's record was when they lost to UAB. I know they were down by a bunch a few times before pulling out the Big 12 tourney and then imploded the next game.

I can't tell you much about the '97 Arizona team's regular season, but they played some crazy good basketball come tourney time.

I don't think this team makes any kind of NCAA run unless someone like Young gets crazy, but if they're remembered for a tourney bid, all will feel fine.

• Agree
Reactions: swarthmoreCY

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Let me say this in the nicest possible way. **** you, Herkster. Bless your heart and **** you.

Turns out that our offense can't handle any defense that exerts effort.
Congrats on the win. Your guys outplayed us handily.

I wasn't trying to be a **** Iowa fan. It was honest, I thought you'd smoke us. I'm still relatively shocked that we played any defense, let alone half way decent defense. Now, to browse the forums for the meltdown and fire Prohm comments that I'm sure are out here.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I wasn't trying to be a **** Iowa fan. It was honest, I thought you'd smoke us. I'm still relatively shocked that we played any defense, let alone half way decent defense. Now, to browse the forums for the meltdown and fire Prohm comments that I'm sure are out here.

Well, I'd say that Iowa played one of its best games of the year and deserves much credit. I also think that ISU's players sauntered in thinking all they needed to do to win was show up. That rarely works, especially in a rivalry game. Sorry if I was hasty in my assessment- I see from review that you were not simply posting to troll/gloat. Yes, I'm sure you will find some Fire Prohm comments.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
Well, I'd say that Iowa played one of its best games of the year and deserves much credit. I also think that ISU's players sauntered in thinking all they needed to do to win was show up. That rarely works, especially in a rivalry game. Sorry if I was hasty in my assessment- I see from review that you were not simply posting to troll/gloat. Yes, I'm sure you will find some Fire Prohm comments.

Yeah, not trolling man. I don't hate ISU and I have better things to do with my time then troll these forums (unless it's the Rivals one, and CyTwins is annoying me).

ISU was looking past Iowa, I don't think there is any other viable excuse at this point. Iowa was up to the task of playing hard, actually playing defense (first time all year!), and getting big rebounds. I was impressed with our younger guys, especially Moss, who seemed to not be scared to go to the rack when you guys had it within 7 in the 2nd half. That's big time for a freshman, in my mind, when the rest of the team looked awfully hesitant.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, not trolling man. I don't hate ISU and I have better things to do with my time then troll these forums (unless it's the Rivals one, and CyTwins is annoying me).

ISU was looking past Iowa, I don't think there is any other viable excuse at this point. Iowa was up to the task of playing hard, actually playing defense (first time all year!), and getting big rebounds. I was impressed with our younger guys, especially Moss, who seemed to not be scared to go to the rack when you guys had it within 7 in the 2nd half. That's big time for a freshman, in my mind, when the rest of the team looked awfully hesitant.

And with the veterans of ISU combined with the fact that 2/3 of their games with Iowa have been games of inches, I'm very surprised if this was their approach, and imo if it is, they deserved what they got: losing by almost 14 to what looks to be the worst major conference opponent on the schedule--that's not a dis on Iowa; they just haven't been even as good as the low-tier B12 teams. Maybe something clicked and this won't turn out to be a bad loss, but right now it's really bad.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
And with the veterans of ISU combined with the fact that 2/3 of their games with Iowa have been games of inches, I'm very surprised if this was their approach, and imo if it is, they deserved what they got: losing by almost 14 to what looks to be the worst major conference opponent on the schedule--that's not a dis on Iowa; they just haven't been even as good as the low-tier B12 teams. Maybe something clicked and this won't turn out to be a bad loss, but right now it's really bad.

But, you saw their interview, especially Monte's who said something like they are going to come in and blow us out. And that he had something better than Naing's kiss to the crowd slated up. They saw Iowa as hardly a bump in the road, a team that lost 4 starters, and is starting what...3 freshman, a sophomore, and a senior. Young. Inexperienced. Cake walk. It's like Iowa Football against NDSU/NW. Ah, this won't be a game...until you step on your junk and walk off at the end of the game with a loss.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
But, you saw their interview, especially Monte's who said something like they are going to come in and blow us out. And that he had something better than Naing's kiss to the crowd slated up. They saw Iowa as hardly a bump in the road, a team that lost 4 starters, and is starting what...3 freshman, a sophomore, and a senior. Young. Inexperienced. Cake walk. It's like Iowa Football against NDSU/NW. Ah, this won't be a game...until you step on your junk and walk off at the end of the game with a loss.

Actually didn't see that, think I heard something about it. Not surprising and not the first time this group of seniors has looked like they're looking past someone, i.e. when they went to Tech a couple of years ago and he claimed afterward they looked past the name on the jersey or something.

Only saw a snippet of the game due to work but it looked like what the rest of the game sounds like...Iowa's young team playing like they didn't know any better or worse, and ISU looking like they'd rather be somewhere else.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't blame Prohm for this disaster. I think he had a good strategy to focus almost entirely on teaching defense to start the season. It was reasonable to expect the offense would come naturally to this team... unfortunately the seniors on the team somehow completely forgot how to run an offense. Hopefully they'll focus completely on offense in their practices for the next month, and they'll be back on track before it's too late to recover this season.

I agree except for this point- they didn't forget to run an offense. They just haven't run an offense without Georges. The team and coaching staff will need to figure that part out.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I agree except for this point- they didn't forget to run an offense. They just haven't run an offense without Georges. The team and coaching staff will need to figure that part out.
Does anyone know what offense Prohm ran at MS?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Which is confusing even if it's early.

How can a guard-oriented team with this much experience not be able to spread the floor and find each other in space for decent looks?

I know they're playing against other D1 players, but I've seriously seen intramural teams run more efficiently.

• Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Does anyone know what offense Prohm ran at MS?

I think a lot of it was based on the PG getting into the lane either through ball screens or dribble drive and attacking the rim or finding open guys.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Which is confusing even if it's early.

How can a guard-oriented team with this much experience not be able to spread the floor and find each other in space for decent looks?

I know they're playing against other D1 players, but I've seriously seen intramural teams run more efficiently.

They should at least be better and driving and kicking out, though the complete lack of an inside presence means that teams can help more from the interior than the perimeter, and we don't go into those guys enough to draw help and kick outs. It's solvable, but our guards need to do a better job driving and drawing, and our inside guys need to get the ball more and give the defense something else to think about.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Oh, and we need to get out and run more. Not every time down the floor, but if we have any kind of numbers, or even even numbers, we should at least put pressure on the defense enough to see if something develops.

Agree, they are not pushing the ball against teams with a pulse at all. There were times they could have last night and they would slow it down. Weird

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agree, they are not pushing the ball against teams with a pulse at all. There were times they could have last night and they would slow it down. Weird

It may go back to last year a bit where we slowed it down just a bit when the other team was hitting shots (due to our poor defense more often than not). Trying not to snowball the problem, but this team is better defensively, and they need the spark offensively.

• Agree