***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
5 minutes of rain and a couple close lightning strikes, that's it. The wind earlier today when it was clear was stronger.

Quick glance shows patio furniture roughly where I laid it over so im hoping this was more bluster than bite. Certainly the tornado warnings here were just radar/ pre emptive for spin ups. Nothing like iowa.

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sounds like they put a curfew in place for Greenfield tonight and basically shut down access to the town to deter looters. Sad that could be a problem that people want to exploit someone's tragedy.

Saw a post shared by someone that lives near there. One of their neighbors is missing a 24 foot livestock trailer that got blown away from their farm. They've found most of their equipment but not their trailer.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds like they put a curfew in place for Greenfield tonight and basically shut down access to the town to deter looters. Sad that could be a problem that people want to exploit someone's tragedy.

Saw a post shared by someone that lives near there. One of their neighbors is missing a 24 foot livestock trailer that got blown away from their farm. They've found most of their equipment but not their trailer.

I'm sure it is to keep everyone and property safe. But they often close down towns with a ton of damage at night. There are no lights and there hazards all over. It's more to keep people that want to help.

There was a tornado in the late 60's in Oelwein. They found pictures and mail on the farm my mom grew up over 100 miles away.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

From KCCI app, ISP issued one.
“Dinkla announced a mandatory curfew in effect from 10 p.m. Tuesday to 7 a.m. Wednesday, and likely for several days to come. The only people who will be allowed into the city of Greenfield, Dinkla said, are those who have Greenfield addresses on their IDs.”

Reactions: salennon07

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I am looking at replanting 1/3 of corn and beans. Maybe more. Have 46 acres not planted yet, which is a good thing. I don’t like the idea of planting corn in June , but we will this year. Rain totals and pics of fields, if true are wild

I get it. Not enough moisture from this drought we can't seem to get out of. Have you thought about an irrigation system?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
well the sump I bragged about being bone dry the yesterday filled enough tonight to turn on at about 8:45, only to find out it doesn't pump anything due to rust. bailed about 20 gallons of water out of the pit for now.

• Friendly
Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
My parents are from the Greenfield area and we have tons of extended family still there. All are ok but a few homes are completely gone of family members. As if that's not bad enough, many are missing their pets still which just breaks my heart. Some pics of my Great Aunt's home which is obviously no more.

1716351082709.png
1716351110776.png
1716351127045.png
1716351142232.png

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Went camping this past weekend. On Friday, my wife noticed a young lady that was struggling to set up her tent, so she over to help. They chatted a bit, and my wife learned that she was a news reporter that used to work at KCCI, and had recently moved back to her hometown of Greenfield.

I have been wondering how close she was to the tornado damage. From this video, it appears that she was as close as you would want to get. Home is just across from Griff's, which got leveled