***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Really like to see Vazquez get some time up. Masterbuoni doesn't have a ML hit so mot sure why they're using him instead.

Agree. Vazquez is hitting .300 with the Iowa Cubs and hit well in spring training. Why not give him a shot? Even if it means he only plays 2-3 days a week to spell Hoerner, Morel & Dansby. At a minimum the I-Cubs should be rotating Vazquez between 2B, 3B and SS to enhance his value at the MLB level.

I would rather have more bench bats on the Chicago Cubs roster than clubhouse or glove guys which Hoyer/Counsell seem to have with Madrigal and Mastrobuoni.

Hell, if the argument is Vazquez is better served playing everyday at Iowa. I can't agrue with that. But why not bring up Bote? He can play every infield position and is hitting over .300 with the I-Cubs. He's at least got some slug to his bat and I'd bet he hits better than .200 (Madrigal) or .000 (Mastrobuoni).

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Really like to see Vazquez get some time up. Masterbuoni doesn't have a ML hit so mot sure why they're using him instead.

There was a point late in the game Tuesday where he was trying to leg out a single and I thought he looked really uncomfortable when he hit the bag. Makes sense that's been dealing with something.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just saw Bote strikeout looking on a curve ball around the armpits. Makes me wonder about Caissie. Yes he strikes out (41) but he also walks a lot (26). So he's patient and I wonder how many of those Ks were bad calls because in the games I've seen he doesn't seem to chase a lot.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Just saw Bote strikeout looking on a curve ball around the armpits. Makes me wonder about Caissie. Yes he strikes out (41) but he also walks a lot (26). So he's patient and I wonder how many of those Ks were bad calls because in the games I've seen he doesn't seem to chase a lot.
A couple things about this.
  • Yes Bote struck out but he also hit 2 HRs. His strength is the low ball and not the high ball. MLB pitchers know that. He also let a routine ground ball go between his legs that should have been an inning ending DP.
  • Regarding Cassie and possible bad calls. MiLB is either automated strike zone relayed to the ump or a challenge system. If they were bad calls in the latter, he could challenge if they have some left.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
A couple things about this.
  • Yes Bote struck out but he also hit 2 HRs. His strength is the low ball and not the high ball. MLB pitchers know that. He also let a routine ground ball go between his legs that should have been an inning ending DP.
  • Regarding Cassie and possible bad calls. MiLB is either automated strike zone relayed to the ump or a challenge system. If they were bad calls in the latter, he could challenge if they have some left.
I haven't seen a challenge in any of the games I've seen this year. Is that still an option?

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Friday, Saturday, Sunday uses the challenge system. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday is fully automated.
This^^

And the challenge system is fast and effective. Challenger taps is head, the umpire steps out and says it's being challenged, the automated pitch screen is shown on the big board for all to see and we move along.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This^^

And the challenge system is fast and effective. Challenger taps is head, the umpire steps out and says it's being challenged, the automated pitch screen is shown on the big board for all to see and we move along.
Yeah I was at the game Saturday and it was super slick. Guessing that’ll be in MLB next year

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah I was at the game Saturday and it was super slick. Guessing that’ll be in MLB next year
They had this last year too and I liked it. I'd love to see Angel Hernandez reaction when he either has a robot ump in his ear calling strikes or losing nearly every player challenge that goes up on the board and is no where near the strike zone. He's one of the biggest reasons why MLB needs this system too because if you can't get rid of bad umps then may as well use technology to make them do their jobs better.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Steep but I'd say you'd have to say yes. Miller for Brown and a very high ceiling 18y/o lottery tix/ coin flip. Our 9 and 17 prospects. Cheaper than Chapman plus he doesn't begin arb till 2026

Last edited:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
That's the right move. He didn't take long enough on the heel bruise last year and it killed him down the stretch.

So fortunate to have Nico ready to slide over and, unfortunately, we're going to have to watch Little Nicky at 2B everyday for a while.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That's the right move. He didn't take long enough on the heel bruise last year and it killed him down the stretch.

So fortunate to have Nico ready to slide over and, unfortunately, we're going to have to watch Little Nicky at 2B everyday for a while.

If it's just 10 days, then giving Madrigal and Mastrobuoni more opportunities is the right move. If Swanson is out longer or the injury lingers and Counsell manages his starts, then I hope they bring Vazquez up. Feel like we are searching for a spark on offense.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
David Peralta released by the Cubs. He was picked off 1st yesterday and injured his leg/ankle. The reaction of the 1st base coach was not good but he did walk of somewhat on his own but needed help down the dugout steps. He's 36.

Edit: he opted out

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron