***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Lost in all this is how good Shota Imanaga has been. 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA now and Cubs have won all 6 games he's started. He's fsr exceeded expectations so far, hope the trend continues and he and Steele become a tough top end of the rotation duo.
If Horton is as good as advertised and Steele/Shota continue their MLB success (big ifs for all three), that could potentially be an absolutely dirty playoff rotation. Now.. the bullpen..

DavidR4isu

Nov 10, 2022
Lost in all this is how good Shota Imanaga has been. 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA now and Cubs have won all 6 games he's started. He's fsr exceeded expectations so far, hope the trend continues and he and Steele become a tough top end of the rotation duo.
The scoop on Shota coming in was that he wouldn’t walk people and get lots of strike outs, but he would also give up a bunch of home runs. Well so far he’s only given up 2 homers and is currently in a 3 way tie for 11th in home runs allowed per 9 innings. He’s looked better than advertised so far.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It’s always fascinated me here and on social media that people can get upset with first basemen who aren’t scooping up 80+mph throws spiked in the dirt at them while they require their foot be planted in a spot.

If a first baseman makes a scoop for an out, that’s a benefit. He’s saving the clown who can’t throw the ball across the diamond from getting an error. It’s hard for me to ever place blame on a guy who had zero control on where the throw was going
I played first in HS. I was only slightly over six feet tall. Of our three primary pitchers two of them were always at 3rd and short. All threw 80+, two were 85+. They knew if it was in my catching radius it was caught. Catching the ball on a hop isn't that difficult if you approach it correctly. Busch looked like he was playing twister on the bunt Imanaga fielded. Can he learn? Sure. But until he does were better off with him as DH and Bellinger or Mervis at first.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I played first in HS. I was only slightly over six feet tall. Of our three primary pitchers two of them were always at 3rd and short. All threw 80+, two were 85+. They knew if it was in my catching radius it was caught. Catching the ball on a hop isn't that difficult if you approach it correctly. Busch looked like he was playing twister on the bunt Imanaga fielded. Can he learn? Sure. But until he does were better off with him as DH and Bellinger or Mervis at first.
I actually played short in high school and college and could hit a top of about 85 and probably around 80 on normal throw. I wasn't anywhere near major league caliber. You guys think pros onky throw 80-85? Try 90-95, it's not as easy as your high school baseball glory days.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I actually played short in high school and college and could hit a top of about 85 and probably around 80 on normal throw. I wasn't anywhere near major league caliber. You guys think pros onky throw 80-85? Try 90-95, it's not as easy as your high school baseball glory days.
Actually the more velocity the easier the scoop.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just want to also point out, the throws aren’t just a few inches shy of the first basemen’s feet. Morel and Swanson both have barely made it past the grass lip this year. At the velo they throw at, it’s a guessing game at that point.

I think the tweet below does a nice job breaking it down. The first two errors I can’t blame Swanson. First one is 100% on Busch. But the second two, the ball is barely getting over the grass lip. It’s a guessing game for a first basemen when you’re that far off on your throw.

• Agree
Reactions: RivClone23

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, if it's a simple scoop, short hopping and off line throws are an entire different ballgame.

You probably didn't have 200lb plus players running a 4.5 at you either when you played first.
Again short hops were the easiest scoops. Why does the runner make a difference?

You all want to doubt my ability. That's fine I couldn't care less. The point is Busch isn't making the.plays that are killing our defense. If you think you can be a playoff team with a 1B that struggles fielding throws you are sadly mistaken.

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If Horton is as good as advertised and Steele/Shota continue their MLB success (big ifs for all three), that could potentially be an absolutely dirty playoff rotation. Now.. the bullpen..

The elevated stuff concerns me a bit with Shota as opponents get a little bigger book on him. It's just so contrary to what most pitchers try and do. But thus far he's been incredible.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They'll probably still throw Hendricks.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This time last year it looked like the Cubs were doomed to be sellers at the deadline then they rolled off a big hot streak and became buyers. Just set a franchise record for wins in April with a team that has some of their best players on the IL and a relatively young group on the field right now. Hard to nitpick at some of this stuff when they are still winning games despite all that. If we're still talking about this defensive stuff in August then it's a different story but for now they are still doing enough as a team to be just 2 games back from the best record in MLB at this point.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So 2025 starting rotation who you got?
Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Brown
Horton
Assad

Wicks long relief

Yes six but I think Brown and Horton get skipped once a month to keep their innings down.

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
The combo of Imanaga, Assad, Wesneski, and Taillon have an average ERA of 1.28. Absolutely insane

Reactions: CYdTracked

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
So 2025 starting rotation who you got?
Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Brown
Horton
Assad

Wicks long relief

Yes six but I think Brown and Horton get skipped once a month to keep their innings down.
I'll go

Steele
Imanaga
Taillon
Wicks
Horton

Assad long relief
Brown late relief

Assuming Wicks' new found stuff hasn't ruined his elbow