Not sold on up coming season(especially)oline again

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Our program has never been better. If you don't believe me look back at the history of our records before Matt.
It's a big reason I don't complain (much). Complain some, sure, who doesn't? But always mindful of what we were.

Years down the road, I very hopeful we will stay relevant in FB, even after the Campbell era. Until that happens, and we avoid going to the 'sh!tter' again, I am very happy w/ ISU FB. Always hopeful for more though.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So it is impossible to pull a guard and run misdirection with the FB? I've never professed to be a football expert, but I have a hard time believing that it is fait accompli that your hand is tipped when you put a FB in the game.

Sure we can. Do we? Sometimes. The drawback is that you're taking a blocker out of the play to be a decoy. I don't know FB well enough to really know what the answer is, but I do know that there have been plenty of games the last few years where we had zero run game. We've had good RBs, good WRs, good QBs even OLs that were experienced and got into NFL camps. But there are games like UT or Ohio where every time we hand off, there were two guys in the backfield waiting to make the tackle. That has to end. There should never be a game where we have less than 50 yards rushing. And less than zero? That's ridiculous. If teams are going to crowd the box and shoot gaps every play, then you need to be less predictable and/or make them pay for it.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
they played in the national title game 2 years ago?
The timeframe I referenced, since CMC:

Overall ISU 53 wins, TCU 58 wins
Head to Head ISU leads 5-3
Conference Championship games: ISU 0-1, TCU 0-2
ISU had a great season and won the Fiesta Bowl
TCU had a great season and won the Fiesta Bowl, then lost in the National Championship game.

Pretty similar to me. If a 58-point loss to Georgia swings your vote, fine.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sure we can. Do we? Sometimes. The drawback is that you're taking a blocker out of the play to be a decoy. I don't know FB well enough to really know what the answer is, but I do know that there have been plenty of games the last few years where we had zero run game. We've had good RBs, good WRs, good QBs even OLs that were experienced and got into NFL camps. But there are games like UT or Ohio where every time we hand off, there were two guys in the backfield waiting to make the tackle. That has to end. There should never be a game where we have less than 50 yards rushing. And less than zero? That's ridiculous. If teams are going to crowd the box and shoot gaps every play, then you need to be less predictable and/or make them pay for it.
Well according to the post I responded to you may be taking a blocker out of the play but that is okay because every defense knows to just follow our FB and that is where the ball carrier will be so there will be half a dozen defenders out of the play with the FB.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I mean, they SHOULD be better. Return all 5 starters, add 2 the should contend to start from the portal, get Hasert back from injury plus RSFR available to play. Not to mention 2nd year of the new OL coach and 2nd year of the new S&C staff. If they aren't at least above average this year, I don't know if it's possible here.

I still contend that scheme plays a bigger part than OL talent or technique. When you play with a fullback, it's pretty easy to see where the ball is going and when you're going to run it. I love Stevo Klotz and the guys who played the position before him. But, it isn't a surprise (to me) that our best OL play of the Campbell era was when Soehner was playing F. He was a legit threat in the passing game, could seal the edge AND lead block. Even though we had no deep threats, the offense wasn't predictable because Soehner was versatile enough to catch a pass or attach to the line and seal the DE. Seems like now, if Klotz is in, you know we are running and all you have to do is fly to wherever he is and you're likely going to get a TFL. Pretty tough for an OL to succeed when the defense knows exactly what you are going to do.
This x1000. We never lack in talent, but the schemes and play calling really hold us back. Supposedly we will be throwing down the field more this year. We could be great with an offense that isn't completely predictable. Any chance that Neal starts over Hufford at LG? I think Travis and Miller will have the tackle spots locked down.

Also, would love to see the defense get more aggressive this year. Need to put way more pressure on opposing QBs rather than giving them all day in the pocket.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
It's a big reason I don't complain (much). Complain some, sure, who doesn't? But always mindful of what we were.

Years down the road, I very hopeful we will stay relevant in FB, even after the Campbell era. Until that happens, and we avoid going to the 'sh!tter' again, I am very happy w/ ISU FB. Always hopeful for more though.
This is where I am at. This has been the best *almost* decade of Iowa State football ever. We are light years from where we were before CMC in: wins (especially in conference), overall roster talent, high end roster talent (NFL guys), top 25 polls, facilities, national respect, the list goes on. Hell I never thought I’d see the day we could beat OU, let alone in their house. There hasn’t been a team or game we have played since ‘18 where I didn’t think they had a chance to win.

Should there have been more wins? Regrettably yeah, but this has been an extremely fun stretch that I hope continues and gets even better.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Looking at the schedule idk that I can really predict anything above 8-4/7-5. Which is fine, we have some tough road games at WV and UT, and B12 games can go either way.
I think in today's world, that should be the baseline.

Some years it comes together and you can push 9-3/10-2

Other years/injuries, whatever - you struggle to 6-6

Beats the standard being 4-8/5-7 and hope you find a way to go 6-6

Reactions: NWICY and bozclone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The timeframe I referenced, since CMC:

Overall ISU 53 wins, TCU 58 wins
Head to Head ISU leads 5-3
Conference Championship games: ISU 0-1, TCU 0-2
ISU had a great season and won the Fiesta Bowl
TCU had a great season and won the Fiesta Bowl, then lost in the National Championship game.

Pretty similar to me. If a 58-point loss to Georgia swings your vote, fine.
Just want to point out that those two Fiesta Bowls aren’t even close to equal. We beat an Oregon team that was there because someone had to win that ****** conference. TCU beat a Michigan team in the National Semifinals that was good enough to win a National Championship and did so the following season.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Just want to point out that those two Fiesta Bowls aren’t even close to equal. We beat an Oregon team that was there because someone had to win that ****** conference. TCU beat a Michigan team in the National Semifinals that was good enough to win a National Championship and did so the following season.
To be fair, I think Michigan lost the game more than TCU won that game. Michigan gave up two pick 6’s and a 76 yd TD play and still only lost by 6 points. Michigan had quite a few critical mistakes

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
But there are games like UT or Ohio where every time we hand off, there were two guys in the backfield waiting to make the tackle. That has to end. There should never be a game where we have less than 50 yards rushing.
Throw in the Memphis game too. The OL improved steadily after the Ohio game. I can understand the UT game as they had studs on the DL. But Memphis with their season long lousy run defense? I don't care if they crowded the line. It was a pathetic showing that brought back the same ol' doubts.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Throw in the Memphis game too. The OL improved steadily after the Ohio game. I can understand the UT game as they had studs on the DL. But Memphis with their season long lousy run defense? I don't care if they crowded the line. It was a pathetic showing that brought back the same ol' doubts.
I’ll give the team a pass on the Ohio game. Many, many players were playing the game with a stomach bug. It’s tough to be physical when you are battling dehydration even before you play.

The Memphis game was disappointing. But I’m in the camp where unless you are in a NY6 game, the bowl game is largely meaningless. It’s a game to reward players for having a good season

Reactions: bozclone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
To be fair, I think Michigan lost the game more than TCU won that game. Michigan gave up two pick 6’s and a 76 yd TD play and still only lost by 6 points. Michigan had quite a few critical mistakes
This take is always fun. I don’t disagree but that’s football. They won the game end of story. TCU made the plays and Michigan didn’t. Also TCU turned it over 3 times too people tend to forget.

And the most important thing, TCU had 263 rushing yards at 6.4 a carry against that vaunted defense. Nothing fluky about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: HouClone