New wrestling facility put on hold - Jamie Pollard statement

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This is not getting enough of the attention that it should. Several ADs have alluded to it and some have come out and said that Olympic sports will need to be cut. And that is for those of us in a semi decent position. The UNIs of the world might as well be Coe at this point.

DII, DIII, and NAIA schools make it work. At most places there is nothing fancy and they just get enough but they make it work.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
The big 10 hasn't won a men's basketball title in 1/4 century. The SEC hasn't won one in 12 years. Maybe it's time for the Big 12, Big east and Acc to start our own tournament. We could maybe take a couple teams from those conferences like purdue and Kentucky and a few others. Iowa would be left behind of course because they offer nothing because we already have the state of Iowa tv market.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The rate they are going they are going to cut the bottom half their conferences and have one 16 team league. Its about the money and that is it at this point.
True, but that's not exactly a revelation, is it? It's been about the money for a long time, now.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
And who will watch it? I will absolutely boycott their games to the end of my days if they leave the rest of us high and dry.
I’ve already boycotted all of their games. Still, there are a lot of ppl that turn on a random game in the background and others that will watch because they can’t help but gamble on those games.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
Problem solved! o_O

Well, he ain’t wrong ( at least we’d get some additional revenue). Until we exhaust all of the options available to us, pollards complaints ring a little hollow for me.

Time to bite the bullet. It’s not something I would partake in, but I believe that vast majority want it. It’s sort of like the portal. Don’t participate at your detriment.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt and NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Tough to forecast what the B1G and SEC are doing to everyone else in college athletics.

As CW, Woody, and Blum have all mentioned in the past week.... be careful what you wish for though. If the B1G and SEC piss off the fans... it will come back to haunt them all too. Greed will destroy everything in the end. Everyone needs one another.
I don't know if all the B1G/SEC teams will keep up either. The hoks are delaying the baseball field improvements they had planned. The lower tier teams in these leagues will be impacted too.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
And yet NBC, Apple and Amazon want a piece of the NBA pie. They aren’t hurting for $$. Unfortunately we are in a tough spot with the Olympic type sports.
Ya I know that, but viewership is still extremely low compared to what it used to be. The networks just want more content, doesn’t mean viewership will go up on Apple/Amazon or grow the brand, in fact putting the NBA on Amazon or anything but the regular networks will continue to dilute it. Look at the NFL on Thursday nights, it’s been said by most to be an almost unwatchable product.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ya I know that, but viewership is still extremely low compared to what it used to be. The networks just want more content, doesn’t mean viewership will go up on Apple/Amazon or grow the brand, in fact putting the NBA on Amazon or anything but the regular networks will continue to dilute it. Look at the NFL on Thursday nights, it’s been said by most to be an almost unwatchable product.
That's pure hyperbole. Amazon's Thursday night NFL games still averaged over 11 million viewers per game, an increase of over 20%, compared to the previous year. Certainly folks complained about wanting better matchups, but the viewers were still very much willing to consume the product. Hardly "unwatchable".

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don't know if all the B1G/SEC teams will keep up either. The hoks are delaying the baseball field improvements they had planned. The lower tier teams in these leagues will be impacted too.
That Iowa baseball thing is kinda nuts to me. You can’t tell me the Iowa athletic department isn’t rolling in big-time TV money that they have locked in for the next X number of years … they already don’t share any of that with the academic side, it all stays with the AD, but now they’re telling us they can’t even share any of that outside the football program? It’s all got to go into grander football facilities and football coaches’ salaries and things that might support NIL, it can’t possibly be doled out to any non-revenue sports?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Big donor bases are the only way for Olympic sports to survive then?

Reactions: drlove

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
That Iowa baseball thing is kinda nuts to me. You can’t tell me the Iowa athletic department isn’t rolling in big-time TV money that they have locked in for the next X number of years … they already don’t share any of that with the academic side, it all stays with the AD, but now they’re telling us they can’t even share any of that outside the football program? It’s all got to go into grander football facilities and football coaches’ salaries and things that might support NIL, it can’t possibly be doled out to any non-revenue sports?
Baseball is a non revenue sport. It’s that simple.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
We're knocking at the door of ADs themselves paying the players. When that happens officially (literally any year now) it will happen without any sort of CBA or salary cap. There will be nothing keeping teams even other than how much they can spend.

Every penny will matter to every single program as the player arms race ramps up. And sports that don't move the needle (like college baseball outside of the South) will be sacrificed to help football and men's basketball stay competitive.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Big donor bases are the only way for Olympic sports to survive then?
I wonder if football, MBB, and WBB become the only DI sports at some point. The Olympic sports then end up competing at a lower level in a more regional conference.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I wonder if football, MBB, and WBB become the only DI sports at some point. The Olympic sports then end up competing at a lower level in a more regional conference.
Jamie has talked about that recently too. I do believe we will see a day when the men’s Olympic sports get mostly cut and the women’s Olympic sports compete in the MVC. Cuts down on travel and we actually might see a bump in attendance at softball and soccer when they play more local teams.

Unfortunately I think there will be a day when football, basketball, and wrestling are the only 3 male sports left at Iowa State

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do like that he also said watch out bottom of the SEC and B1G. Eventually the top will ask why are YOU getting a share. "Will eat their own". And i agree.
Keep feeding the aligator the other conferences and once those other conferences are gone, that alligator still needs to be fed. You start sacrificing your own.