New Spam Redirect

Discussion in 'Bug Tracking and Enhancement Requests' started by Judoka, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Yay. A new one. Anybody else getting this today?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PFlatts

PFlatts Member

Nov 1, 2013
    I had it this morning as well

3. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Stop going to adult sites without protection.

4. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Quit visiting adult sites....

5. Clone83

Clone83 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2006
    #7 Clone83, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    I haven't gotten this, though I do still the old one some, "Walmart," and I read what Chris said about a future fix (pay option for ad free).

Although I prefer Safari on my iPhone (in large part for the black Reader view) I will put in a plug for a new browser, Brave, designed by a guy who designed Firefox. There is a news site I would want to visit but the ads are atrocious. I ended up putting my other news sites, weather, etc. in there as well, besides CF. It is nice having it all in one place (which used to be the default, when almost everything was free); and because of the browser's design, it easily gets around article limits. It has a lot of easy to use controls. For one or two sites I might have to tweak it by turning on or off one of the switches. It isn't rocket science; but whatever works. I also know of and use AdBlock browser. But I prefer Brave, and am likely to continue using it for news sites for the reasons stated, regardless of what's up with CF. I still use Safari mostly, and that's the only thing I use Brave for, but it great for that purpose.

For CF I use Safari on my phone generally, but switch to Brave as needed. Or maybe I read the news in Brave, as it is that time of day or whatever, and incidentally check CF at the same time there, as well.

Posts and associated links above mine make it sound like this one is more serious or potentially more damaging. But in my understanding, Brave helps block some of this stuff.

6. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    The redirects arent the targeted 'why am I getting ads for Asian brides' ads.

7. fatkid1974

fatkid1974 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    network technician
    van down by the river
    https://pi-hole.net. Learn it, live it, love it. I'll gladly pay for ad free, but until then I'm not going to put the safety of my data in the hands of a company turning ad space over to unvetted, 3rd party vendors.

8. CloneinWDSM

CloneinWDSM Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    Anyone experiencing the redirects tonight? Has happened 4-5 times tonight.

iPhone 7 using Wifi

9. Cyvilian

Cyvilian Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Papillion NE
    Yep. Happened a few minutes ago. Getting really annoying.

10. AgronAlum

AgronAlum Active Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Yep. Must've gotten in a new shipment of Walmart gift cards. IMO the site is running worse since the ad changes were made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. enisthemenace

enisthemenace Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Runnells, IA
    I've won something like 8 new iPhone 7's tonight. Thinking of opening my own store soon. PM me if you're interested.

12. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    I've had the same thing for a week on different devices.

13. Cyched

Cyched Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Ames
    I'll be your first customer. Gotta spend all these $1000 gift cards I've won today.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ppclone

ppclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This is brutal. Can't get through a thread without 2-3 redirects. Is it a hack? Or is CF getting revenue from it (which Im sure is not the case). Gotta log off now. Or throw my iPad.

15. DandyCyclone

DandyCyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    I haven't been able to get on CF on my phone in a couple days. It redirects every time along with pop-up ads I cannot close.

16. fatkid1974

fatkid1974 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    network technician
    van down by the river
    The biggest problem is from 3rd party advertisers. Basically there is a region of the page that they sell, unfortunately the person they sell it to resells it without vetting the ads. Ad blocker is worthless because you can buy your way onto a whitelist that will let ads still get through and since they point to google analytics/ads the site is allowed because google/twitter redirects get whitelisted. I will never block 1st party and 2nd party ads, those are rarely the problem and I do believe in supporting advertising. Unfortunately, I don't support malwareware or data theft. That's why I use ublock origin along with dns level malware/adblocking. I still see the main sponsor ads at the top of the page, it's the side page ads that I don't see and those are usually the culprits..

17. knowlesjam

knowlesjam Active Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Weather Warrior
    Papillion, NE
    Ipad is worthless right now as ad-redirect happens every time I move around the page. Computer at work is fine though...

18. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    I won two yesterday so I'm set.