Moving to Ankeny

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We buy our meat at Dahl's. For grilling burgers, the ground beef is much, much better than you'll get at Hy-Vee. Plus, I've never had a bad Rib-Eye or T-bone from Dahl's.

Hy-Vee, Dahls, and Fareway get their meet from the same place.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The one thing I wouldn't do is buy a townhouse in Ankeny. It seems like every third person I talk to in Ankeny has a condo for sale at a major discount. On the other hand, if you can get it for cheap....

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Wartknight- I tried to pull up your message but it was blocked and I don't know how to retrieve it (I'm not too good on the computer).

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Hy-Vee, Dahls, and Fareway get their meet from the same place.

They get it from the same distributer, but its not the same quality. Dahls and Fareway are better than HyVee. You'll notice that HyVee's meat is bright red with hardly any mabling or fat, it'll be tougher and more dry.
The only real difference between Dahls and Fareway meat is the people working there and how they cut it.

I like:

Benchwarmers pizza and beer, Spirit Blvd., BBops(especially when they have $1 qrtr pounders on Mondays), Bandana's, Ankeny Tire, Okoboji Bar and Grill for MNF specials, very few hawk fans, quiet neighborhoods with people our own age, and good lookin females.

I dont like:

Rookies service(horrible), Chips, stepping into WalMart, uncontrolled intersections on 2nd and 14 st on the south part of Ankeny, rotten kids everywhere, property taxes.

jimmy22

Mar 1, 2008
I actually prefer to shop at Dahl's because it's always empty. Plus, it's new and clean. The parking situation at Hy-Vee stresses me out.

I think the "Fareway has the best meat" thing is an urban legend. I've had meat from all three stores, grill all the time, and can't tell a difference. I think people hear that and then convince themselves it's true while eating their Fareway steak. Mythbusters should investigate.

jimmy22

Mar 1, 2008
Also, beware the speedtrap on North Delaware. The speed limit is 35 mph until 18th street. If you go that speed or even 40 or so, it'll feel like you're crawling along and the lead-foot soccer moms will be piling up behind you with a look on their face like you just kidnapped their first born.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
The one thing I wouldn't do is buy a townhouse in Ankeny. It seems like every third person I talk to in Ankeny has a condo for sale at a major discount. On the other hand, if you can get it for cheap....

I fell into that trap and was very fortunate to get mine sold. It was a huge mistake and I feel fortunate to have been able to sell it for what I paid for it (didn't use a realtor for the sale so I wasn't out the realtor fee) We're much happier in a single family home now with my own yard to mow and driveway to shovel (and shovel and shovel...)

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
Can anyone confirm or debunk the rumor that best buy is moving in on delaware?

Also, there will be a slew of new residential and commercial lots opening soon on 2nd Ave/State street to the north of orlabor from what I have heard.

kralon20

Apr 11, 2006
Mexican food: Cazadors on 1st Street. Best Mexican food in Iowa.

Lots of music at the bandshell during the summer; a good variety.

I shop at Fareway. Small stores, a few options (vs. thousands), good meat and good prices. Wal-Mart has good prices as well. Hyvee--not.

Rookies is good place to watch a game. I've seen others bash it here, but I haven't had a problem there.

Close to Saylorville bike path. Lots of access points.

Church at Lutheran Church of Hope NorthBranch. Meets at Northview middle school. All contemporary.

Love living in Ankeny.

Last edited:

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
Can anyone confirm or debunk the rumor that best buy is moving in on delaware?

Also, there will be a slew of new residential and commercial lots opening soon on 2nd Ave/State street to the north of orlabor from what I have heard.

You're right about the 2nd Ave shops-there will be a second Hy-Vee directly across from Rookies and off Orlabor.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Property taxes aren't bad here yet compared to other places in the Midwest, especially when you consider the growth and quality of the school system.

Yet is the key word. The city council just settled for a $.24 increase and the school board is coming back to the public as their bond past last year isn't going to cover the plans they sold to the public. They will ask for another bond increase in 2011. Polk Co. is also going to ask for a property tax hike.

Don't forget commercial property gets dinged at 100%. The likes of CJ's and the Tower will have a tough time passing the rent increases along to their customers.

Otherwise, Ankeny is a great place to live especially since I can be back from the Jack or Hilton in 20-30 minutes.

No word on Best Buy yet. Elwell and others have been in contact with them. Hopefully, soon.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
They get it from the same distributer, but its not the same quality. Dahls and Fareway are better than HyVee. You'll notice that HyVee's meat is bright red with hardly any mabling or fat, it'll be tougher and more dry.
The only real difference between Dahls and Fareway meat is the people working there and how they cut it.

Maybe things have changed from 8 years ago but here is how it was in 2000. Dahls, Fareway, and Hy-Vee may have different cuts and may trim different but they use the exact same meat(USDA Choice). Not trying to be a **** but I know this because I worked at Hy-Vee for 6 years, worked in the meat department for over a year, went through the management training program which requires you to know exactly the meat that every competitor uses. I also unloaded PDI (owned by Hy-Vee) semi's and talked to many of the drivers.

I'm not saying that the Fareway in Ankeny doesn't have a better meat department or they don't have cuts you like better but when it comes to actual product sitting in the back room, they both have a lot of boxes that say "Swift & Co."

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Maybe things have changed from 8 years ago but here is how it was in 2000. Dahls, Fareway, and Hy-Vee may have different cuts and may trim different but they use the exact same meat(USDA Choice). Not trying to be a **** but I know this because I worked at Hy-Vee for 6 years, worked in the meat department for over a year, went through the management training program which requires you to know exactly the meat that every competitor uses. I also unloaded PDI (owned by Hy-Vee) semi's and talked to many of the drivers.

I'm not saying that the Fareway in Ankeny doesn't have a better meat department or they don't have cuts you like better but when it comes to actual product sitting in the back room, they both have a lot of boxes that say "Swift & Co."

I was a meat cutter/ asst mgr for Dahls for 3 years and I think I remember us getting the bulk of our meat from PDI and another distributor. It's been a few years so I don't really recall.

All I know is I wont buy beef at HyVee. I might as well buy it at WalMart.

Nowadays i buy whole ribeye loins and cut the steaks myself. Its cheaper and I know how I want it done.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
If you are in your 20's dont expect to find much of anything to do here. Always driving to Des Moines to find a time not loaded with soccer moms with Starbucks and Bagels or screaming kids.

Going out to eat is terrible. Bears is way over rated. All the chain places are full of little kids, and the bars full of yuppies and divorcees out for a drink but in bed by 10.

Good news is that you are close to Des Moines for finding something to do.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am a once-a-week stopper and Benchwarmers. Games are always on and the beer is always cold. Food is average. Always smoky but that may be changing with the new law going through.
HyVee is much better than Dahls as far as prices go, but there's no such thing as a quick trip inside. If you need something fast, Hit up one of the Fareways. If you are going for meat, go there as well. HyVee is recently renovated and is one of the nicest I've been in.
The Casey's off I35 on Oralabor has about anything a guy could ever want.
If you ever go to WalMart, plan on taking a shower afterward.
I go to Heartland Tire on 69 on the North side. They've treated me pretty well. I have used Graham Tire before with no complaints.
Bears is good.
Chips is overrated.
Briarwood is a great golfcourse if you can get a tee time.
Ranallos in uptown is a nice restaurant, but not a place that you would go to every weekend.
Oh, and if you ever feel like there's a dead spot in the conversation with an Ankenesian, just ask about the football team for next year.
Football, and Marching Band, are king in Ankeny.
Good post. Ankenys Marching Band and the Directors are terrific. IF you are into DRUMLINES however, Dowling is light years ahead of anybody else in Iowa at any level. I have two sons living there and its a wonderful place to live.

Within a few years there will be another high-school as they are growing so fast.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Good post. Ankenys Marching Band and the Directors are terrific. IF you are into DRUMLINES however, Dowling is light years ahead of anybody else in Iowa at any level. I have two sons living there and its a wonderful place to live.

Within a few years there will be another high-school as they are growing so fast.
I probably wouldn't have posted that, but I have a friend who works in the Ankeny Band Dept. and I was just at Benchwarmers with him last night.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
SuperTarget - shopping
Lucky Bamboo - chinese
Noodle Zoo and Chips- casual dining
Ranallo's - upscale dining
Leaning Tower - pizza (although driving to Pagliai's in Johnston is worth the trip and then some)
CJ's Bagel's and Palmer's Deli- excellent lunch stops
Metro Fitness or Anytime Fitness (Anytime if you want a quick no-frills workout, open 24 hours a day)
Hy-Vee (groceries, but buy meat from Fareway like others say)
Tonic - drinks (cougars galore)
Clipper - drinks and tacos
Stix - meet/meat market (maybe this is where all the teenage mothers from Wal-Mart come from that were mentioned above)
El Azteca - mexican (where the actual Mexicans prefer to eat)

Panchero's sucks. Chipotle will drive that crappy food, Hawk loving corporation out of the Des Moines area hopefully.

1. I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Ranallo's.

2. I vehemently disagree with you on Panchero's. Chipotle quality is much worse. Pancero's actually makes the tortilla while you are standing there.

3. I do not live in Ankeny (my Mom and grandparents do), but I understand there is now a Palmer's deli in Ankeny. I like Palmer's.