Missouri Valley continues to be gutted

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
Two things.

Flying into Dallas is WAY cheaper than Brookings and Fargo for the sports that fly commercial.

There are people in Dallas that the member schools can recruit as regular students. There aren't people in the Dakotas.
If the Valley doesn't want them full time, how long before the Dakota schools say screw it and leave? If/when that day comes, the Valley might as well close up shop.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
UNI at Missouri State MBB was always the lock of the year. They'll be missed.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If the Valley doesn't want them full time, how long before the Dakota schools say screw it and leave? If/when that day comes, the Valley might as well close up shop.
There aren't enough football playing members in The Summit League for them to split.

We're all stuck with each other on the football side.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It is interesting to see how the Valley has shifted geographically over the last 30 years.

30 years ago, Missouri State was more geographically central with Creighton, Wichita State, and Tulsa in the league.

Not so much now.

Reactions: cyclones500

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The Missouri Valley is crumbling, and every team that is able to get out is doing so. This didn’t start here and also won’t end here either.

I love the MVC Stans that come in at every opportunity and try to make us believe the opposite of what our eyes have been seeing for the past decade.

• Dumb
Reactions: ISUChippewa

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I would think so but the problem becomes convincing a team that far south and east that they want to play in a Midwest based league where any added money you'd get would immediately be sucked up by travel plus the Valley has budget minimums and scheduling mandates (i.e. you have to buy games) that the leagues just below the Valley don't have.

Arlington is the favorite and the next tier is most likely Northern Kentucky, Kansas City and Milwaukee.

How much bus vs plane travel do Valley teams do? Probably depends on the sport, right?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
How much bus vs plane travel do Valley teams do? Probably depends on the sport, right?
Correct.

MBB pretty much exclusively flies (UNI and Drake bus to each other and Bradley). WBB and VB bus everywhere with a couple exceptions (i.e. UNI/Drake fly to the Murray/Belmont trip). Everything else is a bus.

Reactions: shadow