Mediacom Internet Data Cap?

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
I have always been in Apartments where the Internet is provided. Looking at moving into a home and Internet/Cable packages. I see Mediacom has implemented a data cap on their service :mad: Do any of you have experience with this? I am not sure how much I would use in a month, I don't like the idea of having a cap with as much netflix as I use. Is 250GB enough?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We didn't know about this till one month we hit 97% and it started warning us. If there is one of you you should be fine. This was amongst 4 of us.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You can get a 1Tb cap. That is what we have. The overage fee is not really too bad either, $10 for 50G.

Keep in mind CenturyLink has even lower caps, so there is not really much choice. Data caps are here to stay.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Non-issue for vast majority of people. I haven't come close and we stream some movies - in addition to all of my hard drives being backed up daily to Backblaze. With a portrait studio - that is a lot of large files - no issues.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It would take some effort to hit the cap, I stream constantly and download a fair amount and haven't come close yet.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
250GB should be fine. The only time I've ever gotten a warning is when I downloaded a boatload of movies (in a completely legal manner, of course) one week. 250GB is half the size of my computer's hard disk.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You can get a 1Tb cap. That is what we have. The overage fee is not really too bad either, $10 for 50G.

Keep in mind CenturyLink has even lower caps, so there is not really much choice. Data caps are here to stay.
1Tb for residential? That sounds like overkill.

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
I guess I have never really had an idea of how much I use with computers/TVs because I have never had services that monitors it besides for the cellular. Sounds like the 15mbps and 250gb will be plenty for a bachelor then, granted there is enough action around to keep me from the extra curricular "movies"

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
When I originally signed up with Mediacom, I orderd the 20Mb download plan and it came with unlimited bandiwdth. Last year...they modified my account (w/o letting us know), and they boosted my speed to the 30Mb plan but capped out data at 250GB. My wife and I hit the datacap after about 3 weeks (we mostly netflix / hulu for entertainment). Anyway...I was IRATE. I called Mediacom as they changed my contract w/o letting me know and it was going to cost me more in overages. Mediacom agreed that they f'd up and allowed me to upgrade to the 50Mb download plan with 999GB datacap for the same price I was paying. Since they made that modification for us, we have not hit our cap..although we have had months of over 700GB.

What's crazy...is that I'm paying $75 / month for 50mb download & 5 mb upload

My employee in KC is paying $70 / moth to Google and gets 1000mb download and 1000mb upload. I know this as a fact as he is a Telecommuter and thus we subsidize his internet bill and I approve it.

I think I want to run as Governor, just so I can propose new Iowa Internet goals to either build an Iowa Municipality for internet to compete w/ these money grubbers or to help convince google to come to DSM!!!!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
When I originally signed up with Mediacom, I orderd the 20Mb download plan and it came with unlimited bandiwdth. Last year...they modified my account (w/o letting us know), and they boosted my speed to the 30Mb plan but capped out data at 250GB. My wife and I hit the datacap after about 3 weeks (we mostly netflix / hulu for entertainment). Anyway...I was IRATE. I called Mediacom as they changed my contract w/o letting me know and it was going to cost me more in overages. Mediacom agreed that they f'd up and allowed me to upgrade to the 50Mb download plan with 999GB datacap for the same price I was paying. Since they made that modification for us, we have not hit our cap..although we have had months of over 700GB.

What's crazy...is that I'm paying $75 / month for 50mb download & 5 mb upload

My employee in KC is paying $70 / moth to Google and gets 1000mb download and 1000mb upload. I know this as a fact as he is a Telecommuter and thus we subsidize his internet bill and I approve it.

I think I want to run as Governor, just so I can propose new Iowa Internet goals to either build an Iowa Municipality for internet to compete w/ these money grubbers or to help convince google to come to DSM!!!!

Iowa has their own communications network already. It is a complete cluster, and massively overbuilt, with a huge loss to the taxpayers. All signed by the current governor.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

How the hell are gaming and media giants pushing all digital? A new generation video game seriously runs 50+ GBs with a 10 GB patch to download at launch. You cannot do it with data caps. When physical goes I guess alot of customers will as well.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Iowa has their own communications network already. It is a complete cluster, and massively overbuilt, with a huge loss to the taxpayers. All signed by the current governor.

There are MANY municipalities that run profitable ISP's. Check out CFU in Cedar Falls. Check out the 1Gb network in Chattanooga, TN.

Iowa has created the infrastructure already but it is not being used which is why its a loss. Infrastructure being publicly subisdized is FANTASTIC, becuase it then means we can control who manages it and how it can be pushed to homes. Most of Iowa's Fiber infrastructure is currently dark. Lets light that baby up and move into the 21st Century baby!

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm a cable cutter and stream everything (except local HD TV) and play/download games on multiple consoles and we haven't even come close to the 250 gb cap. You'll be alright unless you download like crazy.