Media/Home Theater PC?

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
So, I'd love to dump the Dish and jump into a media PC. Has anyone built their own? I'd connect one to our 32" LCD (which already includes a TV tuner) and would like locals, plus any other available channels. A friend of mine who runs a PC shop told me it'd run around $750 to build one with 1TB HD and Blu-Ray. (I'd like to use it as a DVR, plus stream internet content like Netflix and Hulu). While I'm a Mac guy, I just don't think the Mac Mini is the solution.

Another thing is, could it be connected to the flatscreen in our man cave through the co-ax from the dish?

Thoughts?

TIA...

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So, I'd love to dump the Dish and jump into a media PC. Has anyone built their own? I'd connect one to our 32" LCD (which already includes a TV tuner) and would like locals, plus any other available channels. A friend of mine who runs a PC shop told me it'd run around $750 to build one with 1TB HD and Blu-Ray. (I'd like to use it as a DVR, plus stream internet content like Netflix and Hulu). While I'm a Mac guy, I just don't think the Mac Mini is the solution.

Another thing is, could it be connected to the flatscreen in our man cave through the co-ax from the dish?

Thoughts?

TIA...

The PC can be connected to the TV, however the dish wouldn't be able to just connect via coax through the PC, unless your PC was able to decode the signal like the reciever box/dvrs do.

I have read that XBox 360 will soon carry AT&Ts internet-based TV service which allows users to stream live-tv as well as use their XBox as a DVR. AT&T's service is not currently supported in Iowa, so I'm not sure how close this is to a reality, but I would recommend looking into when this service is available and what requirements a PC would need to support this service.

Watch Live TV on Your Xbox 360 - Xbox360 News at IGN

AT&T service is called U-verse

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
The PC can be connected to the TV, however the dish wouldn't be able to just connect via coax through the PC, unless your PC was able to decode the signal like the reciever box/dvrs do.

I have read that XBox 360 will soon carry AT&Ts internet-based TV service which allows users to stream live-tv as well as use their XBox as a DVR. AT&T's service is not currently supported in Iowa, so I'm not sure how close this is to a reality, but I would recommend looking into when this service is available and what requirements a PC would need to support this service.

Watch Live TV on Your Xbox 360 - Xbox360 News at IGN

AT&T service is called U-verse

U-Verse is interesting (fiber optics, by the looks of it). Too bad not in IA yet.

I'm actually trying to find a way to get rid of Dish Network and watching TV by streaming channels. Was wondering if I could use the co-ax cables already connecting my TVs with the media PC. (Although probably wouldn't since the PC doesn't connect via co-ax -- :nah:)

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
bump -- anyone else try dumping dish/cable for a media center PC?

Short term I'm watching through my macbook with dvi to HDMI adapter. Pretty sweet watching streams on my big screen. I also use my ps3 browser for streaming when it compatible.

Long term I'm looking at a mini mac or mac mini. can't remember exactly whats it called. It's a hard drive about the size of a game console you can hook directly to tv and home theater systems

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I wish things like Roku, Appletv, and Googletv were just a little further along. They have the potential to be great, but right now limited channels. Googletv is ahead of the others with its ability to connect to your cable or dish box and surf the web too. The other two dont allow for streaming meda from your pc which kicks me.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I watch hulu, justin.tv, channelsurfing.net, only thing I haven't watched yet is veetle. It's not compatable with safari, if i switched to firefox could watch that also, but I'm partial to safari.

Im sorry, I should have clarified. Streaming of internal network media, ripped dvds, home video, etc.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Im sorry, I should have clarified. Streaming of internal network media, ripped dvds, home video, etc.

Not 100% sure, I'm not a tech geek, I just hook up and play and it works. Not sure of the fine details of how it works. I do know that I can play videos, movies, etc. through my handy dandy internet machine onto my TV. :spinny:

egclone

Mar 24, 2006
I have a mac mini hooked up to my 55" Samsung. It works great for streaming TV programs and movies. I watch most of the Clone Zone material on it in full screen and the quality is very good. I use an iPod Touch with RowMote to control and launch the applications. I also can control the screen via my laptop too.

Because I could do more with the mini, I never considered Apple TV.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have noticed the older minis are selling really cheap over ebay. I have thought about it a couple of times, but the local media thing is what keeps me from buying.

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
I have a HTPC setup that works well for my family and it was fairly cheap (given that we had a number of the things we needed already). I added a TV tuner with HDMI output and a 2 TB hard drive to my PC. Purchased PlayOn premium for $40 and installed that server on my PC. I bought a 75 ft HDMI cable and ran it from the PC to the main home theater system (although I rarely use it). Most everything is streamed wirelessly to the Playstation 3 (attached to the HDTV) or Wii (attached to the standard TV upstairs).
The PS3 has the blueray player. It plays music and videos from the PC through Windows media server or PlayOn. Can watch Hulu and any live sports on ESPN3 through PlayOn. And it, of course, has Netflix. Local TV goes directly to the TV although it could go through the PC if I wanted DVR functionality.
The TV connected to the Wii, estentially, has the same things available minus the blue ray/DVD.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
I have a HTPC setup that works well for my family and it was fairly cheap (given that we had a number of the things we needed already). I added a TV tuner with HDMI output and a 2 TB hard drive to my PC. Purchased PlayOn premium for $40 and installed that server on my PC. I bought a 75 ft HDMI cable and ran it from the PC to the main home theater system (although I rarely use it). Most everything is streamed wirelessly to the Playstation 3 (attached to the HDTV) or Wii (attached to the standard TV upstairs).
The PS3 has the blueray player. It plays music and videos from the PC through Windows media server or PlayOn. Can watch Hulu and any live sports on ESPN3 through PlayOn. And it, of course, has Netflix. Local TV goes directly to the TV although it could go through the PC if I wanted DVR functionality.
The TV connected to the Wii, estentially, has the same things available minus the blue ray/DVD.

Thanks for sharing. Have you thought about using the PC for DVR functionality? What kind of content does PlayOn Premium carry?

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
I've thought about it but we aren't very avid TV show watchers. There is one particular show that my wife likes but if she doesn't get to see it when it airs she watches it on Hulu a day or two later. The only time I really wished I'd had it setup was when our 8 year old was spotlighted on "birthdays on the 8's" one morning. I'm sure I'll get around to setting it up this winter - just need to run coax to where the PC is.
Besides Hulu, I know there are a number of things available with Playon but ESPN3 (if your ISP carries it) is what made it worth the money for me and is what gets used the most. I think there is Comedy Central, Tv.com, MTV, and a few others. It also allowed me to watch MLB.tv through the Wii. There are also a number of third party plugins available. I have Fox News installed, for example, but never watch it as it is just show segments, not full length programs or live TV at this point. The History Channel is one I've installed too but I don't think I've ever used it - it's just as easy to find those types of things on Netflix.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
I've thought about it but we aren't very avid TV show watchers. There is one particular show that my wife likes but if she doesn't get to see it when it airs she watches it on Hulu a day or two later. The only time I really wished I'd had it setup was when our 8 year old was spotlighted on "birthdays on the 8's" one morning. I'm sure I'll get around to setting it up this winter - just need to run coax to where the PC is.
Besides Hulu, I know there are a number of things available with Playon but ESPN3 (if your ISP carries it) is what made it worth the money for me and is what gets used the most. I think there is Comedy Central, Tv.com, MTV, and a few others. It also allowed me to watch MLB.tv through the Wii. There are also a number of third party plugins available. I have Fox News installed, for example, but never watch it as it is just show segments, not full length programs or live TV at this point. The History Channel is one I've installed too but I don't think I've ever used it - it's just as easy to find those types of things on Netflix.

Cool... thanks for sharing. (I'll have to keep in you mind as I move forward!:wink:)