Matt Perrault

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Miller and Deace is good. Murph and Andy would be good if Keith wasn't so worried about offending people. And then Matt and Miller, well.............

I think Matt and Miller have the best overall sports talk radio show in the area. Marty is the most entertaining. Deace and Miller have their moments. And Keith and Andy, as someone else said, are too worried about offending people, which usually equates to boring radio.

Honestly, I listened to the segment with John Walters. I didn't come away too upset, if at all. I kind of had the same reaction as Matt, and I know a lot of other people that did as well. Bringing in a guy with zero coaching experience just 24 hours after McD bolts for Creighton isn't something a lot of ADs would do.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I can listen to Miller and Deace, not a big fan, but it is tolerable...the rest of sports talk in DM is just horrible...in my opinion...except for when Chris is on talking Cyclones of course !!!

Deace and Miller are only "tolerable" Really? The rest is horrible?

I would agree the OUt of Bounds program is pretty tough to listen to at times, but to label the entire offering in DM as horrible seems a bit extreme.

What is exactly are you looking for?

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
We should host an educational forum for local sports talk guys. Call it "PR for Perrault" or something generic like that.

Handy tips like:

1 - The mic is always open. Your mouth doesn't have to be.

2 - People speaking with you on the show are your guests. Your listeners are your victims. Don't mix the two groups up in your head.

3 - When news is breaking, don't opine. For example, "This just in - Floods destroy Cedar Rapids, ha ha that sucks," is unlikely to have the humorous effect you intend.

4 - Declaring yourself to "not be a journalist" doesn't make it so. If you broadcast news and information and occasionally have new information that no one else has, and speak about it using the mass media, you have also taken on the duties of a journalist.

I know this is graduate degree-level coursework, and is unlikely to be covered even at the most prestigious undergraduate Sports Talk Radio programs in the country, but I think, with a little help from the listeners, talk radio in central Iowa can, and will improve.

1A. Don't listen in the first place.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've never listened to this guy's show, and I'll be sure not to tune in when I'm in town in June. Matt, whoever you are, you are a schmuck. It just goes to show any db who is willing to show their stupidity to the world like a badge of honor can find a job in the media. Does Iowa/Nebraska have anybody on the radio worth listening to?

You've never listened to the show but come up with this?

mksmith2

Apr 30, 2010
Ames, IA
I gotta say, I personally like Miller and Deace, I don't often get to listen to it when it's live, but I listen to the podcasts. It may help that politically, I side with Deace, but I think their sports talk is really good.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You've never listened to the show but come up with this?

You don't have to be a listener; CFer's post podcasts and that POS posts here himself enough to know what he's about.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickcyv

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Perrualt is a nobody. He's better off going back to the east coast. He was booted out of Omaha for a reason, just like he'll be booted out of here eventually.

You are rite on Illini.................the way perrault was ripping on Hoiberg yesterday and glorifying caffrey perrault is NOT longed for this market.

The way that Martha was crowing about owning the airwaves the other day...It looks like a desperate move on perraults part to get a few more hawk fans to listen because Im a Clone and Im done with 1460!!!!!!!!!:yes:

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
What a week to be out of town!

McD - Gone, The Mayor - Comes Home, John Walters (the most even-keeled guy there can be) apparently, has enough BS from Perrault! I'm afraid to see what next week will bring.

One observation about Perrault - have you ever seen him and Proffessor Frink from The Simpsons in the same room together? I believe them to be the same person -flavin.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
My take ... OVER-REACTION by everyone

After reading this thread I was expecting much bigger fireworks than I heard when I listened to the podcast. It wasn't nearly as much conflict as I expected.

Matt is who he is. I listened to him every day when he was in Omaha. He is rough around the edges and asks tough questions, but that's ok. I though John answered all of his questions well. If you don't want your opinions challenged then you won't like Matt. No one is always right, especially Matt, but there's nothing wrong with being challenged as long as it is not taken over the line. I've heard Matt way over the line, but not so much here, and that's not saying I think John is wrong. He brought his feelings and emotions to the table and I love that! Conflict is not always a bad thing people.

As for the debate on the hire, I think it's a great hire. Given the current status of the program, I don't think we have anything to lose. I think our implied odds are tremendous. If it doesn't work, oh well. The status quo wasn't working either. But if it does work ... :biggrin:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My take ... OVER-REACTION by everyone

After reading this thread I was expecting much bigger fireworks than I heard when I listened to the podcast. It wasn't nearly as much conflict as I expected.

Matt is who he is. I listened to him every day when he was in Omaha. He is rough around the edges and asks tough questions, but that's ok. I though John answered all of his questions well. If you don't want your opinions challenged then you won't like Matt. No one is always right, especially Matt, but there's nothing wrong with being challenged as long as it is not taken over the line. I've heard Matt way over the line, but not so much here, and that's not saying I think John is wrong. He brought his feelings and emotions to the table and I love that! Conflict is not always a bad thing people.

As for the debate on the hire, I think it's a great hire. Given the current status of the program, I don't think we have anything to lose. I think our implied odds are tremendous. If it doesn't work, oh well. The status quo wasn't working either. But if it does work ... :biggrin:

Agreed. I think this was definitely overblown. Hoiberg sold me after his press conference and watching the player interviews, but I can completely understand the shock reaction. Matt was in shock over this announcement. I think a lot of us were. I sure was. My first reaction, exactly, was "what. the. ****". Within minutes i had very similar texts and calls my way, all with similar levels of profanity. So i think Matt was well within his rights to be a bit shocked and questioning this. Hell, i'm sold at this point, but still admit this is a gamble.

If anything, John Walters coming on there and personally going after MP was a bit out of line. Not that i'm attacking JW. I think both were just reacting emotionally at a time where you're going to get some emotional reactions (first breaking news of any new coach)