• F - Coldplay, Marry - U2, Kill - DMB

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • F - Coldplay, Marry - DMB, Kill - U2

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I was about to say U2 and REM both have people that I think unfairly judge them as a band that hung on for 40 years and played massive tours. For whatever reason the Stones never seemed to get the same dislike for that even though they really didn't put out popular new music the past 40 years.

REM's late "comeback" album Accelerate was kind of shocking how good it was though. I don't feel U2 has ever had an album like that where it made me think it was as good as the early/prime stuff.
Bono and Michael Stipe both have a tendency to be preachy and tended to give a sense that their ideals were better than yours. The Stones were simply a rock n roll band. As much of a jerk as he could be, I don't think anybody ever thought Jaeger was very preachy or cared about your ideals in any way.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I expected far more murdering of Coldplay. WTF is wrong with you people?

DMB and U2 draw far more of an 80s/90s crowd (and far more discerning music taste) than Coldplay, so maybe the young ones are skewing this.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

DMB and U2 draw far more of an 80s/90s crowd (and far more discerning music taste) than Coldplay, so maybe the young ones are skewing this.
People hating on Coldplay is so 2015 (the year, not the poster)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

My issue with DMB is simply DM. I like the rest of the music. I find his singing annoying. I'm an expert at annoying.

• Disagree
Reactions: TXCyclones

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
1. Tunnel of Love
2. Born to Run
3. Western Stars
4. Nebraska
5. Darkness on the Edge of Town

(I will state that #1 never changes...but depending on mood I am in or day of the week for that matter...the rest of the order changes and isn't always the same albums)
great list, but i don't know how "The Wild the Innocent, and the EStreet Shuffle" isn't there, but that is my opinion.
I need to go back and listen to a few of these as I've not checked them out in a while.

• Love
Reactions: cyfanatic

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I have a friend who is a pretty big DMB fan. He bought tickets to a show in Columbia. Which wouldn't have been a big deal except he lives in Kansas and the show was in Maryland. He thought it was in Columbia, Missouri. He went anyway.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Bono and Michael Stipe both have a tendency to be preachy and tended to give a sense that their ideals were better than yours. The Stones were simply a rock n roll band. As much of a jerk as he could be, I don't think anybody ever thought Jaeger was very preachy or cared about your ideals in any way.
I would take Bono’s preachiness over almost any lead singers behavior during the hair band era of the mid-late 80s though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I despise U2 so they're an easy kill. DMB is hit or miss for me. I hate new Coldplay but love the older stuff.
DMB is marry. Been to 8 shows+ and say what you want, they are a cliche, but they are a top tier live band. Just fantastic live. The keyboardist, drummer Carter Beuford, sax guy, and other musicians are phenomenal. Kind of like the E Street band really.

• Winner

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not sure how you can despise U2 and love old Coldplay stuff. It always seemed to me like old Coldplay was trying way too hard to sound exactly like U2.
I don't like Bono and the Edge is extremely overrated IMO. As a guitar player myself I get annoyed hearing about how great he is at guitar cause he uses delay pedals. Their music is ok but I don't get the massive fanfare. The newer Coldplay is more similar I will agree but old Coldplay is nothing like U2.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
DMB is marry. Been to 8 shows+ and say what you want, they are a cliche, but they are a top tier live band. Just fantastic live. The keyboardist, drummer Carter Beuford, sax guy, and other musicians are phenomenal. Kind of like the E Street band really.
They're a jam band like Fish. I just think their sound is boring after a while. I hear a few of their songs in a row and I'm done. Talented yes, just not my cup of tea. Maybe live I might enjoy them more?

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
U2 is so much better than the other two it's funny.
They were better at one time, not any more. They haven't moved forward creatively since 1994. But yes War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are miles ahead of anything the other two have done. I even like Zooropa for it's weirdness sometimes but it's not quite as good as that stretch of albums. At least they were still trying to be creative at that point and not churning out the same stuff over and over.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
They're a jam band like Fish. I just think their sound is boring after a while. I hear a few of their songs in a row and I'm done. Talented yes, just not my cup of tea. Maybe live I might enjoy them more?

DMB is a live band. Their studio albums are fine, but their live shows are the best in the business. Their catalog of music is so massive that you could follow them around Dead Head style and not hear the same playlist twice - ever. I have seen well over 50 shows over the years (I lived in VA when they were first getting started and saw them at small clubs too). I've taken several people to shows through the past several years who held opinions like yours and they each became pretty big fans afterwards. Give a live show a shot.

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
DMB is a live band. Their studio albums are fine, but their live shows are the best in the business. Their catalog of music is so massive that you could follow them around Dead Head style and not hear the same playlist twice - ever. I have seen well over 50 shows over the years (I lived in VA when they were first getting started and saw them at small clubs too). I've taken several people to shows through the past several years who held opinions like yours and they each became pretty big fans afterwards. Give a live show a shot.
Agree. I don't even know if I've fully listened to their most recent album. My show count is significantly lower than yours, but I've still seen them more than two handfuls of times and every single time is a great show. My wife could go her whole life without ever seeing them again and that would be ideal for her, but I'll catch them any chance I can get.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I’m fairly lukewarm on Coldplay but I did see them once in the late 00s. I remember that show being pretty phenomenal.
I saw Coldplay in 2008 and it was a fantastic show. I also enjoyed DMB when they came to Ames in lets say 2004? So goodbye, U2.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron