MLB: Marlins All-Star Pitcher Fernandez passes away

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I doubt they were actually trying to kill themselves with idiotic reckless boating but that's exactly what they did. It's a bummer for baseball cause the dude was a talented and colorful asset to the game but I cannot muster up much personal sympathy for the folks on this boat. This isn't a random tragic accident that was outside of their personal control.

Every single accident, for the most part, isnt outside of someone personal control. However, its still an accident. Probably should not been driving a boat that fast at night when were obviously not to familiar with where the jetties were, but again, its still an accident.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I doubt they were actually trying to kill themselves with idiotic reckless boating but that's exactly what they did. It's a bummer for baseball cause the dude was a talented and colorful asset to the game but I cannot muster up much personal sympathy for the folks on this boat. This isn't a random tragic accident that was outside of their personal control.

That's fine, because I don't think anyone cares about your sympathy level, either.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
This is just a tragedy. The guy was such a great, great talent. And he loved to play baseball.

Just say tonight that every Sunday he would bring kids from Miami in before games out on the field and take them around the Stadium. His story should not have ended this way.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Espn just said he was supposed to start today but they pushed him back in order for him to face the Mets.

Gotta think that he likely isn't out in the middle of the night before a start. Insane stuff.

Was hoping my Cubs would take a run at him in FA. Top tier talent.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You're right, he probably was the first 24 year old to do something reckless...

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm not saying this as a Cub fan, but I have a hard time comparing this death to Oscar Taveras just because Taveras made the decision to drink and drive, which ultimately not only killed himself but his girlfriend as well.

Fernandez was not driving the boat, drugs nor alcohol are believed to be a reason for the death. The guy driving the boat was known for taking Marlins players out to sea often in the area.

Fernandez wasn't scheduled to pitch until tonight, so it's not exactly surprising he was up late, as I'm sure most athletes who have days off tend to have late nights.

That being said, I don't believe there has been an announcement as to when the crash even occurred. The boat was found at 3 AM. The crash could've happened much earlier in the night.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
[QUOTE="stormchaser2014, post: 5422373, member: 14213"]Alcohol seemed to be a factor.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...dly-had-strong-odor-alcohol-deadly-boat-crash[/QUOTE]

Shocker. My disdain isn't meant as anything against this kid, my disdain is for alcohol and the terrible effect it has on society. And it's not just when it is abused, it is when it is just overused at any one time. Very scary drug with an even scarier indoctrination in to society and the legal system.

Help Support Us

Become a patron