Lean Six Sigma

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
Isn't Lean six sigma already something of a buzz word? I've never taken six sigma training but I remember my statistics professer talking about that and ISO this and ISO that and Six Sigma....sounded like a bunch of bull**** thats good to have on a resume (the principals might be there, but the rest is repackaged bull**** that'll be ditched in a few years for the newest repackaged bull**** program...)

ISO (ISO 9001) and Six Sigma/Lean Sigma are totally different animals. ISO 9001 is an international quality standard to which companies can become certified. It is a way for organizations to demonstrate their committment to quality, and isn't really all that difficult to achieve.

Six Sigma is a statistical approach to problem solving. It's basically the same principles that Deming was teaching to the Japanese after WWII. Six Sigma is based on the following: Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control (DMAIC). 50 years ago, Deming taught Plan, Do, Check, Act, so really they are one and the same. TQM, SPC, Deming, Six Sigma, etc. are different statistical approaches that are basically doing the same things.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
ING is big into Six Sigma here in Des Moines. I haven't worked for any companies that have it.

Yeah, they are. I used to work there and that is all we heard about as employees. Some of the changes that they made worked really well in a small, controlled pilot group, but when applied globally, it seemed to slow some other areas down.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Yeah, they are. I used to work there and that is all we heard about as employees. Some of the changes that they made worked really well in a small, controlled pilot group, but when applied globally, it seemed to slow some other areas down.

From the instructional material I am going through right now, "global applications" are a misuse of the method. It is ONLY to be used in small, controlled groups.

Talking about missing the point, entirely at the corporate level.:no:

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I'm a student in Industrial Engineering at ISU and elements of both six sigma and Lean are 'interlaced' throughout the curricula. However, we don't have a specific course designated for either. Partially because no two companies use the methods the same, so to teach a course about the 'method' for six sigma/Lean would be counter productive. But mostly because the strategy is common sense.

The problem with managers/problem solvers can sometimes be that there are two many good ideas. No one wants to adopt the approach to problem solving of another because they're backing their own approach. I believe 'methods' to achieve quality is just a non confrontational way of saying, shut up, we're doing it this way. Someone listed all the steps for six sigma, Lean has similar 'areas of focus', these are simply to get everyone on the same page and serve as a guide for the non-creative manager.

I am neither for or against six sigma/Lean, they are simply a power point presentation, text box, handout method of solving problems to achieve "quality". Which for those of you who don't know what "quality" is, it's basically creating value for the customer while minimizing resources to create it. I'm all for silencing bickering and getting people working together, using whatever method is necessary. My two cents...

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I've just moved into the "People Process" module of the program. Here, I'm going completely off the wagon with these guys. I couldn't disagree with the curriculum, more.

Basically, they view leadership and development as a zero sum game, with "correctives" taking the place of leadership.

You categorize people, and then promote them, coach them or fire them, based on how they stand in an evaluation matrix. Some of the worst performers I've ever known, performed badly in one arena and wonderfully in another. The leading cause of poor worker performance, imo, is crappy managers, most of which are unimaginative, zero-sum dolts, who do things like "categorize" their employees into a matrix for promotion, coaching or firing.

I've belonged to several failing organizations where I literally had the answer to fixing their problems, but was dismissed, primarily because I "wasn't a team player." Of course, I got the bittersweet joy of watching several of these organizations make a smoking crater when they failed after my dismissal, but hey, if you want to rearrange chairs on the Titanic, have fun.

Leading people is a very rewarding, simple (to me) and challenging profession, but Leadership has nothing to do with categorizing people on a matrix.