Jay Bilas' top 5 college basketball venues

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
No mention of Hilton?

I haven't been to many but Cameron Indoor was pretty special.

And of course Allen Fieldhouse is just another gym, right Jamaal?

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
death, taxes, and cyclone fans thinking they got left off a list they should of been on.
I actually don't think we should be top 5 but thought it would be an interesting conversation as to where we might actually be. I haven't been to nearly enough arenas to make a fair assessment, but on my list Cameron Indoor is the only place higher than Hilton. But really only a few journalists and coaches would probably be "qualified" to make a proper list.

Reactions: FerShizzle

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I actually don't think we should be top 5 but thought it would be an interesting conversation as to where we might actually be. I haven't been to nearly enough arenas to make a fair assessment, but on my list Cameron Indoor is the only place higher than Hilton. But really only a few journalists and coaches would probably be "qualified" to make a proper list.
i can't speak to this, but have you visited all the places on his list?

we may think Hilton is great (and I agree, it is) but we have no idea what these other environments are like when top tier teams come in to play.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
No I have only been to Cameron on Bilas' list, which is why I say I'm not qualified. But I'd love to hear where people who are more qualified (like Bilas, Fraschella, Dickie V, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Scott Drew, Jamie Dixon, etc) think Hilton should be ranked.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I think an evaluation like this would be more meaningful if you polled opposing coaches of their opinions. Your view could vary widely if you attended a game during Christmas break as opposed to a 19 pt comeback win over a quality opponent. As I'm typing this I see others with similar thoughts have posted

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Of the 5 he mentioned, I have been to Breslin (vs. Northwestern) and Rupp (vs. Vermont). However, I did do a walk-through of Cameron Indoor Arena, and Coach K walked though and gave a royal wave to all of the Alabama fans checking it out that day (Alabama @ Duke football game in 2010).

What is interesting is that I have been to a football game(s) at all five schools! :)

I'd rank those five football stadiums in this order:

01. Duke
02. Kansas
03. Indiana
04. Michigan State
05. Kentucky

Thought it was funny that he mentioned ice cream @ Rupp. If he only knew about Clone Cones, Hilton would be # 01! / sarcasm

Let's Go State

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Apparently Bilas hasn't had a clone cone if he thinks Rupp Arena is special for its ice cream.

I could see being butthurt if we didn't make someone's top 20 or something like that, but not top 5.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Of the 5 he mentioned., I have been to Breslin (vs. Northwestern) and Rupp (vs. Vermont). However, I did do a walk-through of Cameron Indoor Arena, and Coach K walked though and gave a royal wave to all of the Alabama fans checking it out that day (Alabama @ Duke football game in 2010).

What is interesting is that I have been to a football game(s) at all five schools! :)

I'd rank those five football stadiums in this order:

01. Duke
02. Kansas
03. Indiana
04. Michigan State
05. Kentucky

Thought it was funny that he mentioned ice cream @ Rupp. If he only knew about Clone Cones, Hilton would be # 01! / sarcasm

Let's Go State
I was at the Alabama @ Duke game in 2010 as well! That game was a good environment but only because Wallace Wade stadium was ~80% full of Alabama fans. Being in grad school there was fun because you didn't need a ticket to get in to the football games (just show your regular ID) and I would often just check in on a game for an hour or two as it was not a big deal to get there or park or anything like that. Getting basketball tickets was a different story.....although still not terrible given how difficult it is to get into Cameron in general.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Here is fairly recent top 25 list from Katz. It's tiered in groups of 5 so not a true ranking, but he has Hilton as a tier 3, or top 15 if you will. He admits hes never been to Hilton, which is kind of surprising.

The only real head scratcher for me is Rutgers with a Tier 1. I have never really heard of them having a great basketball environment. Also there are probably quite a few people who have been to home Creighton games and can speak to whether they are really better than Hilton or not at tier 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fo...n-college-basketball-ranking-schools-in-tiers

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
To some Phog Allen is "just another gym" (wink) but I also think opposing coaches are to some degree intimidated by the fact that that is an obstacle their team has to overcome besides beating the opposition. I'm not going to claim I know enough to rank them but I would guess coaches would take some of that same mindset coming to Hilton

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Here is fairly recent top 25 list from Katz. It's tiered in groups of 5 so not a true ranking, but he has Hilton as a tier 3, or top 15 if you will. He admits hes never been to Hilton, which is kind of surprising.

The only real head scratcher for me is Rutgers with a Tier 1. I have never really heard of them having a great basketball environment. Also there are probably quite a few people who have been to home Creighton games and can speak to whether they are really better than Hilton or not at tier 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fo...n-college-basketball-ranking-schools-in-tiers
I get why he has the Smith Center up there but I went to a couple of games there and it isn't great. Of course it is difficult to win there but that is because UNC is consistently one of the best teams in the country, not because the arena is particularly intimidating. I think of the blue bloods, UNC has the least "special" arena.

I think one reason Hilton is great is because we aren't anywhere close to being a blue blood, but we have exceptionally loyal and knowledgeable fans which makes it somewhat surprising (at least to outsiders) that the environment is so good in Ames.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron