James White

Discussion in 'Football' started by farminclone, Oct 2, 2011.

1. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I would like to continue to see more and more of James White. He seems to hit the hole harder than SJ, gets vertical, and gets yards. It seems like he breaks arm tackles a little better too. Anyone else agree?

Also, White had about 80 yards and a touchdown called back on holding penalties last night.

2. Hayes30

Hayes30 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Gun Salesman
    Melcher-Dallas
    He is the best RB we have. Play him some more.

3. EddieISU

EddieISU Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Waukee "The Key", iowa
    Agree and his future looks very bright. Very impressed with his motor when he's running the ball.

4. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I think he's a different style than SJ. I think SJ is more explosive, and we need to use both of them a lot.

I really like how James White is coming on, but I think a lot of people are really taking to him and calling for SJ to see less time on account of how hyped SJ has been and how little hype White got. White is a more blue collar, quiet kind of guy and I think has really endeared himself to the fanbase already.

They are both looking like very good backs who should see 15 carries a game, if not more, each.

5. fatkid1974

fatkid1974 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    network technician
    van down by the river
    What he has that I didn't realize is break away speed. Not many backs in the country will outrun Texas DB's like JW did on the TD that got called back. I'm all in for more #8.

6. StPaulCyclone

StPaulCyclone Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yes
    Duh!
    Arnaud and others have spoke highly of him and I see why now.

7. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    We have a great 1-2 combo, but SJ is still the better back at this point.

8. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    White is a great player, but I think that he and SJ need to continue to split the carries like they have been

9. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I agree. The stats up to the Texas game didn't bear out the fact that he was our best RB, but he just looked like he was for some reason. Last night he proved that he is our best RB IMO.

Shontrelle is very good too, but I like White's game a little better. Shontrelle sometimes makes juke moves when I don't think he really needs to. I think he will learn that over time though. James White just goes north and south more, and quickly. Plus, he does break a lot more tackles than SJ too.

SJ probably has more sheer raw talent than White does, he just needs to learn how and when to use it better.

10. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Shontrelle had some good runs last night against an aggressive, fast flowing defense. There were a number of times he was able to make a small cutback and turn 3 yards into 7 - 10. I agree that Shontrelle runs a little slower* since he's looking for creases and cutting all the time. James sees his lane and explodes through it.

*Shontrelle Johnson is NOT slow but with all the juking he doesn't seem to ever be running flat out in a straight line. If we could get a little bit of blocking on the backside, this would be deadly.

11. Rickybaby

Rickybaby Active Member

Apr 15, 2006
    People forget in the start of the UT game, SJ did a great job in the first quarter. If it wasn't for the screw ups I have no doubt we would have marched down the field and scored. SJ was getting 5-8 yards on every carry. But its great to have a 1-2 punch. The thing that I like about White is that he moves north/south immediately no no hesitation; he just hits the holes. In a short yardage play that almost guarantees at least 2 yards if the O Line is getting off the blocks and every once in a while he'll break thru for a longer run. SJ sometimes hesitates, fakes, jukes, whatever you want to call it. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Both RBs are good but in different ways which is a very good thing to have. Did Woody even carry the ball last night? There was some discussion here about Woody not being productive; the coaching staff must have reached the same conclusion.

12. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Official stats for both guys through the Texas game:

RUSHING GP-GS Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
    Johnson, Shontrelle 4-4 51 257 10 247 4.8 0 27 61.8
    White, James 4-0 43 196 21 175 4.1 4 26 43.8

13. JustRedman

JustRedman Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Gilbert
    It is clear that we have two very capable backs. Woody was a big part of our offense last year, but sees very limited action this year which is 100% due to White really stepping up. I will say that I didn't have a ton of confidence that SJ21 and JW8 would be the type of back that could carry the load for an entire season. I questioned their size and durability.
    Both have shown that they are incredibly hard to bring down in the open field. James seems to get vertical quicker that SJ21, but SJ is so elusive at the line of scrimmage. I have full confidence now that if the O-line opens even a moderate hole for these two backs, they can get to the second level and turn it into a big play.
    I fully understand how Nealy and Standard are redshirting. All the talk was that they were almost too good to sit, but our RBs have not been a problem for us this year and the future should only get brighter. We will have some weapons next year with the addition of all the young guys.

14. Clones21

Clones21 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    I like what they both bring to the table. Continue to split carries. Use them when they are needed. Let Jantz run this offense.

15. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Agree with this. I also wish the would do a better job of not setting Woody up to fail. Right now he only gets the ball in obvious short running situations and the defense just blitzes multiple linebackers right at him.

16. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    When I said I want to see more and more of James, I did not mean take away from SJ, but use SJ in a different way. I want to see James do more of the prototypical RB duty, and SJ do more screens, sweeps, etc.

Both are great backs and both have their place in this offense. It is very encouraging to see what these guys have done so far this year.

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    After this week I'm jumping to the James White bandwagon. I didn't realize he had another gear when he gets in the open field like that! Plus I'm sick of Shontrelle fumbling.

18. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Yeah, I think SJ gives you a better chance to make something happen out of nothing, and White hits the hole incredibly fast and has some serious break away speed. I think we are fortunate to have them both.

19. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Both are good backs.
    The only problem with Shontrelle is that he gets injured EVERY game.

20. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    They are a fantastic duo and will be used as such.