ISU finishes #67 in CFN's final poll

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And right below us...our opening opponent for next year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Don't have a lot of nice things to say...
LINK
(Didn't realize they were preseason #74)

I would worry too much about this. It's just another stat and number monkey who may have seen one game hammering on the program. SOme stuff is true but for the most part he has no idea what he's talking about. How come no one mentions that we could have been 9-3 when they bring up how we beat Nebraska. I am not into the could have's but if you are going to say we should have lost to Nebby then I think it is only fair you bring up the two heartbreakers and the Mizzou game.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
CFN is as worthless as **** on a boar. Seriously. 5-7 Washinton and Miss State are ranked higher. If I was to rank ISU, it would be in the 45-50 range. We may not score a ton of points, but we scored enough points to beat 7 teams.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
CFN is really a worthless site, I believe for half the season they had our record wrong in their rankings, they said that the winner of the game between us and Mizzou could tie for the north title, even though it was mathematically impossible at the time, their post game analysis usually included someone looking at the box score and typing a couple of sentences about it etc......I really would not put much stock into anything they say.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Well, there are what, like 34 Bowl games? That means 68 teams make a bowl, so how can you put us much below that? That also means we are one of only 34 teams to win a bowl game. Though I certainly wouldn't try to make a claim that we are top 34 in the nation. I would agree that 45-50 would be about right. I think we are better than almost all of the mid-majors as well as the BCS bottom feeders.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Well, there are what, like 34 Bowl games? That means 68 teams make a bowl, so how can you put us much below that? That also means we are one of only 34 teams to win a bowl game. Though I certainly wouldn't try to make a claim that we are top 34 in the nation. I would agree that 45-50 would be about right. I think we are better than almost all of the mid-majors as well as the BCS bottom feeders.

I thought 36, but I agree.

Not asking to be put in the top 34/36 as a bowl winner. But at least above teams that didn't even qualify for post season.

I was thinking lower 50's to 60's.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
"the defense was lousy"

We may have given up a lot of yards, but our defense wasn't lousy! We were 2nd in the nation in red zone defense (2nd in Big 12), we are 34th in scoring D (5th in Big 12), and we were 9th in the country in turnovers gained (2nd in Big 12). We gave up a lot of yards between the 20s, but we came up with plays when it counted. That is the mark of a good D, making the plays that are needed to win.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Not quite as insulting as I initially thought. They listed 5 other B12 teams below us (TAM, KSU, KU, Baylor & Colorado) which means they thought we finished as the seventh best team in the B12. I'll take that for now.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
They have 5-7 Washington 5 spots ahead of us, why? The Pac10 was worse this year than the Big 12.

Really

Texas
Ok St
Nebraska
Oklahoma

vs.

Oregon
Stanford
USC
Oregon St.

I would call it a draw. There were a lot of real bad teams in this league.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I don't argue that we were not a good team, because we weren't. We had some breaks go our way like a Griffin-less Baylor team and +9 TO margin at NU. You could also say with a healthy ARob we could have beat KU and KSU. But after all is said and done, we were 6-6 in a VERY bad north division. We needed the chips to fall our way for once and they did.

It doesn't matter how you get the ball rolling, just as long as it does.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
we went from 110 to 67 not bad. Does that mean we move up to 21 this coming year?

CIVILCY

May 21, 2009
Really

Texas
Ok St
Nebraska
Oklahoma

vs.

Oregon
Stanford
USC
Oregon St.

I would call it a draw. There were a lot of real bad teams in this league.

I say Big 12 is better. USC is a name only they didn't even finish in the top 4 after their loss to Arizona. Ok beat Stanford and Arizona got killed by Nebraska. Oregon state got killed by BYU so I think OK ST could hold their own against them. Texas could beat Oregon they held their own against the best team with out their QB. I think the Pack-10 is by far the most over rated confernce this year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
we went from 110 to 67 not bad. Does that mean we move up to 21 this coming year?

This!

Instead of celebrating the large jump we made this year and exceeding expectations - fans want to whine that CFN isn't giving us enough love. Meh.