ISU Dorms say bye to landline phones...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by superdorf, Aug 24, 2009.

1. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Wait, what?

About damn time they took 'em out. Now if the morons who need to be beaten with the claw end of the hammer on the Freddy Court Community Council would've gotten wireless internet installed instead of landline phones... :skeptical:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy CF Founder
    Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Male
    IT Manager
    Waukee, IA
    Sounds like a great way to save money.

4. Flag Guy

Flag Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland
    #4 Flag Guy, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    Hmmm mixed reactions to this. I hardly ever used my land line while living in the dorms, and didn't have one when I moved off campus, but I could see having a land line still being nice for some people

This now means they'll be using cell phones in the call directory (aka stalker net), so it will take effort on your part to keep that particular form of communication private.

And if you make it private it means people from your group project won't be able to look you up to ask you about something that is due the next day...

There are ways around it, but it will take a heads up on peoples parts now

EDIT: Ok this is cool :yes:

5. Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland
    I'm sure whoever had the number "xx2-3350" will be happy about this though... I can't count how many times I forgot to dial '9' before dialing Gumby's number on Tuesday nights :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. tigershoops31

tigershoops31 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Ames
    :biglaugh: I had to re-read this as I skipped right over the word "since" and thought you'd lived in the dorms for 12 years...

7. superdorf

The tones the system made when you dialed wrong...We called it the sex police.

8. superdorf

I did my 2 years in the dorm and got out, and yes I did graduate.

We did have a guy across the hall from us who was a grad student in CS and he had been on the floor for 7 or 8 years.

9. tman24

tman24 Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    the only people that called us when i was in the dorms were telemarketers and the pizza guy telling us he was outside

10. superdorf

I lived on Norman in Helser. In the room right next to the archway. It was the best location for getting a pizza... Just two steps and you were there.

Also, everyone in the whole building basically walked by our door.

11. stvfarmboy

stvfarmboy Member

May 20, 2006
    Traffic Engineer Intern
    Ames, IA
    I believe they stopped providing phones several years ago. But they must have left the lines active so you could bring your own phone if you wanted to use the jack in the room.

12. dustinal

dustinal Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2006
    I used to have a number that was one digit off of Jimmy John's. It got to the point where I was going to open up a shop of my own in my apartment.

13. Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland
    They never gave us phones while I was there, but yes, they had the lines. The lines are now being removed, according the article

14. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    A lot of people already have stalker net as their cell (myself included). Other morons put their home phone (as in parents' house) in stalker net (formerly me :wideeyed:). That was fine and dandy until a girl I'm now best friends with called my house at 11:30 at night and my mom answered. :biglaugh:

What I'da done to know the time left on the washers/dryers. I'd also like to a camera down there so you can pull up and see who throws clothes on the table before the time is even up on the dryer just so they can add time cheaper than paying for it. :arghh:

15. isukendall

isukendall Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Research Scientist
    Fort Collins, CO
    292-2868! Never forget that one. Of course there was a naugty acronym that helped remember that one....

16. Clone1450

Clone1450 Active Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Asset Manager
    Kansas City
    When did you live on Norman? I lived there in 99-00.

17. superdorf

18. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    I am not convinced the laundryalert.com thing works yet. My clothes are currently in and is has it as available and has all night which they have not been available. Oh well