ISU Dorms say bye to landline phones...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Remember living in the dorms and when you mis-dialed you got the "sex police"?
Wait, what?

About damn time they took 'em out. Now if the morons who need to be beaten with the claw end of the hammer on the Freddy Court Community Council would've gotten wireless internet installed instead of landline phones... :skeptical:

Reactions: Haverhill

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Hmmm mixed reactions to this. I hardly ever used my land line while living in the dorms, and didn't have one when I moved off campus, but I could see having a land line still being nice for some people

This now means they'll be using cell phones in the call directory (aka stalker net), so it will take effort on your part to keep that particular form of communication private.

And if you make it private it means people from your group project won't be able to look you up to ask you about something that is due the next day...

There are ways around it, but it will take a heads up on peoples parts now

EDIT: Ok this is cool :yes:
ISU students also will notice a new online service that lets them check how much time is left in their washer and dryer cycles without setting foot in the laundry room.

Last edited:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I'm sure whoever had the number "xx2-3350" will be happy about this though... I can't count how many times I forgot to dial '9' before dialing Gumby's number on Tuesday nights :rolleyes:

Reactions: Haverhill

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Wait, what?

About damn time they took 'em out. Now if the morons who need to be beaten with the claw end of the hammer on the Freddy Court Community Council would've gotten wireless internet installed instead of landline phones... :skeptical:
The tones the system made when you dialed wrong...We called it the sex police.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
the only people that called us when i was in the dorms were telemarketers and the pizza guy telling us he was outside

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
the only people that called us when i was in the dorms were telemarketers and the pizza guy telling us he was outside
I lived on Norman in Helser. In the room right next to the archway. It was the best location for getting a pizza... Just two steps and you were there.

Also, everyone in the whole building basically walked by our door.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
I believe they stopped providing phones several years ago. But they must have left the lines active so you could bring your own phone if you wanted to use the jack in the room.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I'm sure whoever had the number "xx2-3350" will be happy about this though... I can't count how many times I forgot to dial '9' before dialing Gumby's number on Tuesday nights :rolleyes:

I used to have a number that was one digit off of Jimmy John's. It got to the point where I was going to open up a shop of my own in my apartment.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I believe they stopped providing phones several years ago. But they must have left the lines active so you could bring your own phone if you wanted to use the jack in the room.

They never gave us phones while I was there, but yes, they had the lines. The lines are now being removed, according the article

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This now means they'll be using cell phones in the call directory (aka stalker net), so it will take effort on your part to keep that particular form of communication private.

And if you make it private it means people from your group project won't be able to look you up to ask you about something that is due the next day...

ISU students also will notice a new online service that lets them check how much time is left in their washer and dryer cycles without setting foot in the laundry room.

A lot of people already have stalker net as their cell (myself included). Other morons put their home phone (as in parents' house) in stalker net (formerly me :wideeyed:). That was fine and dandy until a girl I'm now best friends with called my house at 11:30 at night and my mom answered. :biglaugh:

What I'da done to know the time left on the washers/dryers. I'd also like to a camera down there so you can pull up and see who throws clothes on the table before the time is even up on the dryer just so they can add time cheaper than paying for it. :arghh:

Clone1450

Dec 30, 2008
Kansas City
I lived on Norman in Helser. In the room right next to the archway. It was the best location for getting a pizza... Just two steps and you were there.

Also, everyone in the whole building basically walked by our door.

When did you live on Norman? I lived there in 99-00.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am not convinced the laundryalert.com thing works yet. My clothes are currently in and is has it as available and has all night which they have not been available. Oh well

Help Support Us

Become a patron