Iowa Tent Camping

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for a weekend getaway tent camping trip in Iowa for two adults?

dcorbatt

Jul 25, 2016
There are several good ones up in the NW at the great lakes, drank some beers and or fished at a few; I grew up in the area so never camped, but they seem nice. I'd guess that NE has some good ones too from what I've heard, pretty scenic area as well.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We use to like Lake Ahquabi (south of Indianola) when we tent camped. Avoid Lake McBride (north of Iowa City). The only campground we didn’t feel safe

Care to explain? Just curious as we are kind of in the area and have thought about going there.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for a weekend getaway tent camping trip in Iowa for two adults?

Lake Aquabi south of Indianola is nice. Highlandville by Decorah if you like Trout fishing. Honey Creek. Rock Creek. Red Rock.

Some random farmers back 100 acres of timber. Just don't get caught. :)

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
PK is awesome. If you do Backbone, head to Manchester and kayak thru the rapids.
There are a couple places that rent kayaks and float tubes. It's a high class kayak rapids, and truthfully, I never saw a kayaker make it through, but the tubes are lots of fun. Backbone is a beautiful park with a lot of hiking trails and trout fishing, as well as a beach. Joy Springs, just up the road, is really primitive camping with good trout fishing.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
All this thread has done is make me positive I need to get back up there this year.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Definitely saving these for us too! We've enjoyed Backbone and Maquoketa Caves (closed this summer unfortunately). The Marquette/Prairie du Chien has a lot of stuff to do, wish we had known about Yellow River when we were up there. Further away but Matthiessen & Starved Rock State Parks in Illinois have lots of great hiking. Stayed at a KOA since spots in Starved Rock book up quickly.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Definitely saving these for us too! We've enjoyed Backbone and Maquoketa Caves (closed this summer unfortunately). The Marquette/Prairie du Chien has a lot of stuff to do, wish we had known about Yellow River when we were up there. Further away but Matthiessen & Starved Rock State Parks in Illinois have lots of great hiking. Stayed at a KOA since spots in Starved Rock book up quickly.
When I was a kid, we would camp at Yellow River every other weekend starting Memorial Day until Labor Day. It was awesome.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to say I'm looking forward to this thread! The wife and I want to get out this summer for some tent camping and have no clue on good spots. Looking to do a little outside adventuring as well.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Care to explain? Just curious as we are kind of in the area and have thought about going there.

Haven't been there a lot, but it can be a little weedy and methy down there sometimes... just depends who you happen to be near.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions and replies so far, It looks like we we have to try to get out a few weekends this summer to explore some of these places. Fishing, tubing/kayaking and having the possibility of a remote tent location are all good things to hear.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Bumping this thread for a recommendation for tent camping in central Iowa next weekend. Camping at Ledges is closed unfortunately. We want to do Ledges, High Trestle Trail and go to the WVU game so looking for somewhere close to or in between those 3.