Income Tax Season: Online vs. Professional Filing

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Self Employed here, so for me a tax professional.

Your situation is still pretty easy ... and I would use TaxAct, it's an Iowan company based in CR.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I don't care what tax return preparer people use (there are many good ones out there) or if people do it themselves. But for crying out loud people, DO NOT USE H & R BLOCK. They overcharge, to the point where you could get an actual cpa to do your return cheaper in a lot of cases, and oftentimes they know as much about taxes as you do.

If you're a student (or have relatively low income and a simple return) and live in or close to a college town look into using VITA programs those universites offer (it's free).

I cannot reiterate strongly enough - DO NOT USE H&R. They're ridiculously overpriced and you basically get people off the street that have been trained to use software. Most know very little about the code. If you're going to have it prepared professionally go to a local CPA firm. Do some checking and make sure they're reputable.

Most people can do their taxes themselves on a variety of softwares. That said, there is no substitute for knowing the code. The research I've seen over the years is that people spend less in fees than they save in taxes. But not at franchise preparers.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I filled out the paper work on Turbo Tax without filing and then went to a professional and the professional came up with a much better return than Turbo Tax. My wife and I decided to try it after the refund didn't seem right.

Curious what the difference was?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Currently use TurboTax since it is included in the QuickBooks Self Employed I use for my wife's business (which I highly recommend). I looked into paying a CPA to do it one year but other circumstances lead me to doing it myself on TaxAct which I always had good experience with. My personal opinion is that if you think it is complex enough for you then you should take it to a real tax preparer/CPA and not one of the H.R. Block type places.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I prefer people have me prepare their taxes but if not just don't waste your money at H&R Block

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm also a TaxAct guy. It's easy, and fast. Just the way I like things!
vauEUgn.gif

Every year I consider going to a real person, but never do. I have a hard time believing it'd benefit me, but you never know . . .

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just wanted to get some advice on what people think about filing yourself online or getting a professional to assist. CF probably isn't the best place for this (besides Clark), but it's nice to get opinions.

My situation:

I have always filed with turbo tax online as it's always been fairly easy. Single. Renter. 1 - 1040 job. A few student loans.

This year things have changed a little. I got married (April) and purchased a house in Ankeny (July). I just worry I might be losing out of some money I wouldn't see myself.

Former CPA in public practice, former preparer at HR Block, I've used professionals and Turbo...

Unless you have zero aptitude or have out of the ordinary tax situation, turbo tax is great. If you have familiarity with it it can lead you through seamlessly.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Since my wife is self employed we do ours professionally. She did our two high school/college kids on line and made a mistake. What a pain in the ass to fix and the fact that we had to redo our taxes also. If you do it online double and triple check everything other wise the wrath of the IRS will be upon you.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Switched to a CPA 5 or so years ago (pay ~$90) and it's been worth it. I have little doubt that we're seeing better returns with him than if we were doing it on our own. As the matter of fact, we started seeing him because one year, we were showing that we owed ~$500. Went to the CPA and owed nothing. Won't ever file my own taxes again.
You have the cheapest CPA ever.
I cannot reiterate strongly enough - DO NOT USE H&R. They're ridiculously overpriced and you basically get people off the street that have been trained to use software. Most know very little about the code. If you're going to have it prepared professionally go to a local CPA firm. Do some checking and make sure they're reputable.

Most people can do their taxes themselves on a variety of softwares. That said, there is no substitute for knowing the code. The research I've seen over the years is that people spend less in fees than they save in taxes. But not at franchise preparers.

I prefer people have me prepare their taxes but if not just don't waste your money at H&R Block
What these guys said: Avoid H&R Block like the plague. Out of the amended returns I've done over the years, I'd guess 80% of them were from H&R Block and what I would consider egregious errors.

To answer the OP's question, any online software should work just fine. Your return is very basic.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I just use whatever online software is cheapest that year. In the past few I've used TurboTax, TaxACT and TaxHawk.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
You have the cheapest CPA ever.

What these guys said: Avoid H&R Block like the plague. Out of the amended returns I've done over the years, I'd guess 80% of them were from H&R Block and what I would consider egregious errors.

To answer the OP's question, any online software should work just fine. Your return is very basic.

Small town Iowa. He's an older guy (late 60's/early 70's) that does it.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Just wanted to get some advice on what people think about filing yourself online or getting a professional to assist. CF probably isn't the best place for this (besides Clark), but it's nice to get opinions.

My situation:

I have always filed with turbo tax online as it's always been fairly easy. Single. Renter. 1 - 1040 job. A few student loans.

This year things have changed a little. I got married (April) and purchased a house in Ankeny (July). I just worry I might be losing out of some money I wouldn't see myself.

I used to be a tax preparer for a local firm. You haven't provided anything difficult that even the most rudimentary tax software can't handle. Do it yourself.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Switched to a CPA 5 or so years ago (pay ~$90) and it's been worth it. I have little doubt that we're seeing better returns with him than if we were doing it on our own. As the matter of fact, we started seeing him because one year, we were showing that we owed ~$500. Went to the CPA and owed nothing. Won't ever file my own taxes again.

Whoa.....is this a CPA or just a tax preparer ?

IMO, no decent CPA worth their time is going to charge that little to prepare taxes. It makes zero sense to me and I'd wonder why they aren't busy doing returns for $175 - $300?

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

IMO, no decent CPA worth their time is going to charge that little to prepare taxes. It makes zero sense to me and I'd wonder why they aren't busy doing returns for $175 - $300?
I've always paid $75 to $95 for mine. Not prepared by a CPA but all returns are reviewed by one.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
If anyone lurking or posting in this thread is a CPA from the Cedar Rapids area send me a private message. I am unhappy with my current accounting firm for my business taxes on multiple levels. Price, impossible to get ahold of someone, won't show me ways to make their job easier, etc. My current firm does 4 business returns both owners of the business returns, and my personal return. So 7 total returns

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

My situation:

I was in the same boat as you. Always did TurboTax - last year, I figured since I got married, bought a house, and my wife has her own small business, I should go to a professional. I did. Waste of money. Doing them myself on turbo tax from now on, now that I know how to do all of her business taxes.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

CPA out of Grinnell. Stanley Laverman.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't care what tax return preparer people use (there are many good ones out there) or if people do it themselves. But for crying out loud people, DO NOT USE H & R BLOCK. They overcharge, to the point where you could get an actual cpa to do your return cheaper in a lot of cases, and oftentimes they know as much about taxes as you do.

If you're a student (or have relatively low income and a simple return) and live in or close to a college town look into using VITA programs those universites offer (it's free).

Block is ridiculously over priced, and as a direct competitor, the overwhelming majority of my summer business is their customer coming in to us for us to fix their returns they got IRS letters from.

But gotta be careful with VITA. It's free for a reason. It's like military tax preparers. They just throw people in a seat with no training whatsoever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron