Home Theater Projector

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I am no expert but I have an Optoma HD142X in my basement. $550 on amazon and it's full 1080p. Works for me at that pricepoint.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Other things to consider with a projector:

*Screen - custom build or pre-built?

*Ceiling mount vs shelf mount

*Power - local outlet installed nearby or extension cord to outlet

*Cables from your sources to the projector: video extenders or long HDMI?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The issue holding back 4k is a LOT of people stream stuff, and almost nobody has the bandwidth to stream 4k. IMO that's why it won't catch on.

When I bought my house I had A+ install our home theater system, and they installed some projector that cost like 2,500. We had a lightening strike that fried all of our electronics for the most part, and I bought an Epson. I can't recommend them enough, because no matter how dark you think your room is, there is always going to be light spilling into it, and people that just don't want to sit in total darkness.

I have a 120 inch screen too and I think it looks great. I'm not a crazy fidelity head though.

I disagree with this point about bandwidth challenges for 4k. A quick Google search has Hulu recommending 13 mbps for 4k. Amazon suggests 15, and Netflix is at 25. Found a USA Today article on the topic from 2017 indicating that about 80% of Americans had access to service at those speeds, and that number is only going up. 4k TVs have been the standard for years now, and their content and delivery is picking up too. This isn't 3D. It's here to stay.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I disagree with this point about bandwidth challenges for 4k. A quick Google search has Hulu recommending 13 mbps for 4k. Amazon suggests 15, and Netflix is at 25. Found a USA Today article on the topic from 2017 indicating that about 80% of Americans had access to service at those speeds, and that number is only going up. 4k TVs have been the standard for years now, and their content and delivery is picking up too. This isn't 3D. It's here to stay.

True but all 4k is not created equal. This includes audio as well. From my experience, a 1080p bluray disc provides a just as good or better picture and audio than most 4k streaming content.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
How much data would you eat up streaming 4k? I think Cox starts charging you more once you hit 1 terabyte.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm probably going to move on from my EPSON 5020 in the fall. I love it a lot, but want to use my Xbox X with the full 4K. The 5040 looks good, but I'm waiting until this fall to see if they announce a new model.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Just doing some browsing, the Epson 1060 is probably what I would buy. Good price and 1080p

What about screens; gray, white, black? I know nothing about what makes a good screen

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Just doing some browsing, the Epson 1060 is probably what I would buy. Good price and 1080p

What about screens; gray, white, black? I know nothing about what makes a good screen

White is your cheapest option if you want to build your own. Grey would be my preferred color as it does a decent job of neutralizing ambient light as well as compensating for black levels in movies.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
True but all 4k is not created equal. This includes audio as well. From my experience, a 1080p bluray disc provides a just as good or better picture and audio than most 4k streaming content.

Very true. I also go out of my way to get bluray discs versus streaming for this reason. That said, I think it is inevitable that most people will have a connection that supports a quality 4k stream. Many people already do. Connection speeds and data caps are going up, the market demands it. Fiber to the home is becoming more common, cable providers are upping speeds, 5G wireless is being built now. Bluray discs are available in 4k now. The delivery mechanism is here, and there are alot of 4k TVs out there already. It is going to become the new standard. It is not at all comparable to 3D.

4k projectir process are slowly coming down top earth. The sooner the better, as this is where you would benefit the most.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Is Sony still the only manufacturer producing a projector that is truly 4K? Last I looked, everybody else was doing some sort of 1080p upscaling or pixel offset/shifting trickery to simulate 4K resolution. I realize that's why prices have come down on these other brands while Sony's 4K is still priced so high...just curious.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Is Sony still the only manufacturer producing a projector that is truly 4K? Last I looked, everybody else was doing some sort of 1080p upscaling or pixel offset/shifting trickery to simulate 4K resolution. I realize that's why prices have come down on these other brands while Sony's 4K is still priced so high...just curious.
Seems to be that way and paying $8k for a 4k Sony projector would be idiotic.

• Agree
Reactions: DeftOne

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron