Hilton Magic is Alive and Well

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And if you don't think it is, then go to games and make Hilton great again.

maxresdefault.jpg

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It definitely ain't well. People have been ******** about how empty it looked at the end. Well yeah, it was the biggest loss in like 5 years.

One thing about it, tickets are getting cheaper.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
It definitely ain't well. People have been ******** about how empty it looked at the end. Well yeah, it was the biggest loss in like 5 years.

One thing about it, tickets are getting cheaper.

Yeah, there's that. I might actually get my kids to a game down there this season after all.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not even Hitlon Magic can help us overcome our some of our decisions on the court...

Honestly though, I know everyone is doom and gloom after last night but go back and watch the second half again. We missed a TON of wide open looks that normally go down. WV got hot for a few minutes in the second half and the game got away from us pretty quick but man we had so many shots rattle in and out.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Our fans sounded pathetically quiet last night. And don't come back at me...I just wasn't able to go to the game. The fans need to realize that wins at Hilton don't just fall into our laps...the FANS are the ones that help create those wins!! I remember when we were playing Oklahoma 2 years ago, down 20 in the second half, Niang makes a 3 pt play. Ensuing OU possession, the crowd was on it's collective feet screaming their heads off and it just. kept. getting. louder. If the fans don't help the team get back in to it, we probably get blown out that game. Yet when we were facing WVU, we would make a basket to bring it within 7 or 5 and the place was almost morgue quiet. If the fans want Hilton Magic, they have to create it. Otherwise, it's no better than any other run of the mill arena in the NCAA.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Our fans sounded pathetically quiet last night. And don't come back at me...I just wasn't able to go to the game. The fans need to realize that wins at Hilton don't just fall into our laps...the FANS are the ones that help create those wins!! I remember when we were playing Oklahoma 2 years ago, down 20 in the second half, Niang makes a 3 pt play. Ensuing OU possession, the crowd was on it's collective feet screaming their heads off and it just. kept. getting. louder. If the fans don't help the team get back in to it, we probably get blown out that game. Yet when we were facing WVU, we would make a basket to bring it within 7 or 5 and the place was almost morgue quiet. If the fans want Hilton Magic, they have to create it. Otherwise, it's no better than any other run of the mill arena in the NCAA.

I assume you are referring to the students? That was a pathetic showing on their part last night.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Put me on blast but Hilton Magic really isn't a thing. It's no secret our better teams won more at home. This team is good but not great.

It's on Prohm to improve it, we as fans can't do a dang thing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Put me on blast but Hilton Magic really isn't a thing. It's no secret our better teams won more at home. This team is good but not great.

You're right, it's not really a thing. It's an idea. A beautiful idea. It's an identity, a meaningful identity. It's a community, something that a school that hasn't had a ton of athletic success to congregate together and feel good. Feel like a part of something that no one else can have.

Through this season and the past few seasons when we've had success, we've lost something. We've lost humility and an understanding of what it is to be an ISU fan. When the team plays, I watch, when the team plays well, I cheer. When the team plays poorly, I cheer. When someone misses a layup I don't question their entire person and their level of effort and caring. When we miss a free throw I don't think about how terrible that player must be to miss a free 15 ft shot with no one guarding them.

Everyone that is a Cyclone for life, especially the alumni and the current students need to get their heads out their azzes, stop doing their best hok fan impersonation, and cut the emo sorry for themselves woe is me BS. I know big Chiefs fans, I know Royals fans, I know pre-Super Bowl wins Broncos fans, I knew Minnesota North Stars fans and I've never, ever seen a transition from proud, self-respecting, defiant fanbase to whiny, cringe-worthy, self loathing fanbase like I've seen with the ISU basketball fanbase since Fred Hoiberg became ISU basketball coach.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
balcony student section was barely half full. Time to give the entire balcony to the public if students can't even fill for a top 10 team
I definitely mentioned last night they should give up at least half of balcony or an entire section up in the balcony. I was always disappointed at the empty seats even 2-3 years ago against teams not named Kansas, Iowa, or Oklahoma.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
balcony student section was barely half full. Time to give the entire balcony to the public if students can't even fill for a top 10
team

I always love the obsession CF has with that section. Look at most other arenas, ISU is doing more than fine comparatively, and students should not have areas taken away from them. I doubt there's a huge demand for those seats right now anyway, and the student section will always look worse due to A) the students compressing forward in the section and B) the students having a much smaller ability to re-sell their tickets. Lots of tickets getting resold in the non-student sections right now.

I however would not be opposed to offering 'rush' seating to games. Estimate how many seats will be open 20 minutes before tip and start selling. I've heard of other arenas doing that.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I don't think the Magic is gone. It's on vacation. I hate to admit it but it's painful to watch this talented group of players inch toward a .500 season. I want them to finish strong but at the same time, I'm not going to cry when the season comes to an end. My head hurts.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You're right, it's not really a thing. It's an idea. A beautiful idea. It's an identity, a meaningful identity. It's a community, something that a school that hasn't had a ton of athletic success to congregate together and feel good. Feel like a part of something that no one else can have.

Through this season and the past few seasons when we've had success, we've lost something. We've lost humility and an understanding of what it is to be an ISU fan. When the team plays, I watch, when the team plays well, I cheer. When the team plays poorly, I cheer. When someone misses a layup I don't question their entire person and their level of effort and caring. When we miss a free throw I don't think about how terrible that player must be to miss a free 15 ft shot with no one guarding them.

Everyone that is a Cyclone for life, especially the alumni and the current students need to get their heads out their azzes, stop doing their best hok fan impersonation, and cut the emo sorry for themselves woe is me BS. I know big Chiefs fans, I know Royals fans, I know pre-Super Bowl wins Broncos fans, I knew Minnesota North Stars fans and I've never, ever seen a transition from proud, self-respecting, defiant fanbase to whiny, cringe-worthy, self loathing fanbase like I've seen with the ISU basketball fanbase since Fred Hoiberg became ISU basketball coach.

Quoted for truth. If you want to claim to be better than other fan bases....then be better than other fan bases.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This is really well put and pretty much echo's my exact thoughts. Especially the hawkeye fan comparison...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Regardless of whether it is or it isnt, the advantage given by Hilton doesnt just happen. There's a give and take, and the crowd can only get up so many times only to be immediately let down. The team has to feed into it so that a self-reinforcing cycle can begin. Honestly, this is one of my questions on Prohm- does he understand how to take advantage of the large advantage Hilton brings. For example, does he understand that his choices in timeouts often undercuts that.