Here comes the doomsday thread, sorry

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Could Iowa State really afford paying half of our student athletes $30k per year?

Yes. Especially if they start getting even more money with the new set up. The NCAA itself for sure could pay players a ton of money each year. Greedy b##### won't do it though.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A second NFL has never been successful. I'd like to hear the pitch on why an "elite" college league with a limited number of teams will be any different.
Other leagues have been startups, needing to build their brand and popularity. That would not be the case, here. Michigan Football is already a popular product with a dedicated customer base.

That alone puts this in different airspace than other leagues.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Matter of time before there will be a salary cap for teams. Should be done soon considering it’s basically minor league already.

Reactions: clonechemist

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I guess there are people who buy season tickets to watch the band. Never understood it but they probably don’t understand how I can get wound up during a football game. Maybe the band can do some NIL stuff.

Years and years ago I had family in for a game. They wanted to leave after halftime. They only wanted to see the band.

"Don't you know how hard they work?!?"

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It already is, at the top.

In 10 years, 8 teams have 82.5% of the CFP appearances. (Bama, Clem, OSU, Okla, GA, Mich, Wash, ND)
Add in LSU, Oregon, FSU, and Texas, you are up to 92.5%
Not the point. The point is you have fanbases between the P5 and top G5, 60 plus schools that care because they play those schools and have some idea of playing games relevant at the top level. This is college football's strength and product differentiator from the NFL, and more importantly what sets it apart from every other failed attempt at commercializing football.

Lack of parity and complete, explicit exclusion are not remotely the same thing in terms of success of a business model. All the other football attempts fail because they do not have the product differentiator the current model of college football has.

It's probably more going to be a league that has significant barriers to entry that will land at 40-50 teams. If a school is willing to pony up the investment needed to overcome the barriers to entry, then they'll be in. It isn't going to be about who's in the SEC or Big 10 now. There might also be some surprises that raise some serious cash to buy their way in (i.e. SMU).

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
This is about as least surprising as possible, this was always the outcome once conference expansion took off followed by NIL etc...

I do think this will kind of become almost like the premier league in England to some degree

1) SEC & Big 10 in the premier league with the most money
2) The Championship will be the ACC / Big 12 essentially, more money than others, not as much as the premier
3) Then everyone else
4) The FCS essentially becomes non-league football

Maybe there's a promotion system or something, I've no clue.

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
A second NFL has never been successful. I'd like to hear the pitch on why an "elite" college league with a limited number of teams will be any different.
It would be successful because the teams in this "league" already have huge, established, and passionate fan bases. That hasn't been the case with any of the "second NFL" startup leagues.

*EDIT* Gunner beat me to it...

Reactions: Gunnerclone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Except for FSU, yes, you’re correct.

A 12-team playoff this year would have 10 teams that are in the SEC/B1G next year. TEN!
Yes but you have to factor in AQ for the Big 12, the ACC (FSU in this case), a G5 and those teams will all be playing each other now. Losses will accumulate. It will still be SEC/BIG dominate but can’t ever be this dominate.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

The Alabama Crimson Tide and USC Trojans have a better brand than the Birmingham Stalions and St Louis Battle Hawks?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Matter of time before there will be a salary cap for teams. Should be done soon considering it’s basically minor league already.
Not sure about that. Salary caps can't just be created out of thin air. Unless they're collectively bargained, a salary cap immediately steers into antitrust territory. So that means unionization, and I'm not sure we're close to that yet, nor am I sure that's a direction that schools want to go.

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Years and years ago I had family in for a game. They wanted to leave after halftime. They only wanted to see the band.

"Don't you know how hard they work?!?"
Some people love the band, some live the game “experience”, some just love the game action (that’s me).

Some show up for other reasons. Talked to James Reed before one of the games, daughter is a cheerleader, so I assume he likes the game but watched his daughter a good chunk also. If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars a year to watch the band, more power to them.

If they only want the halftime show, boy do I have a deal for them. I will go 50/50 and I will leave the first half with a minute or two left and swipe out, they can swipe in to watch the band while I stand by the ticket scanner, when the band is done, they swipe out and I swipe in.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
It's probably more going to be a league that has significant barriers to entry that will land at 40-50 teams. If a school is willing to pony up the investment needed to overcome the barriers to entry, then they'll be in. It isn't going to be about who's in the SEC or Big 10 now. There might also be some surprises that raise some serious cash to buy their way in (i.e. SMU).
It is essentially going to be the Big 10 and SEC.
SMU has money - it doesn't have THAT kind of money.

Between the two they are going to have 34 members beginning in 2024.

Maybe ND gets in, along with Florida State, Clemson. That puts it at 37.

Otherwise, that's gonna be about it

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Good point..

Probably won't get any better with the 12 team playoff, either. I think every team in the Top 12 right now is in the Big 10 or SEC for next year.

So, as an Iowa State fan.. why wouldn't I enjoy maybe a new division below the P2 and we can do our own thing? I think you could eventually start enjoying that.

My worry is they turn in into FCS. As entertaining as NDSU vs UNI might be some years you can't watch it on TV.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It would be successful because the teams in this "league" already have huge, established, and passionate fan bases. That hasn't been the case with any of the "second NFL" startup leagues.

*EDIT* Gunner beat me to it...

***Janny beat me to it lol