Help with preserving vegetables

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Does anyone have experience with freezing fresh vegetables? I recently bought more asparagus than I needed, so I blanched all of it and then vacuum sealed what I didn't need right away and froze it in individual portions. But I'm curious about the best way to prepare those frozen portions whenever I'm ready to eat them. Should I thaw them out first and then toss into a skillet, or just throw them in the oven/microwave?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I blanched some ears of sweet corn and vacuum sealed. Did the same to just some ears of fresh picked. I just thawed in the microwave still in the vac sealed bag. I then cooked them in the microwave. I really couldn’t tell the difference. Probably should have put a couple holes in the bags when I cooked them as the bags expanded and popped like a balloon.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Does anyone have experience with freezing fresh vegetables? I recently bought more asparagus than I needed, so I blanched all of it and then vacuum sealed what I didn't need right away and froze it in individual portions. But I'm curious about the best way to prepare those frozen portions whenever I'm ready to eat them. Should I thaw them out first and then toss into a skillet, or just throw them in the oven/microwave?
I'd absolutely thaw them before cooking, and then just throw them into a saute pan with a little olive oil.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Take 3/4 stalks wrap with bacon, use toothpicks to keep in place. Brush with olive oil/flavored olive oil, cook on grill or smoker. Or steam plain asparagus.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I freeze it when it is on sale and just put it in a frozen state on a baking sheet lined in parchment paper and roast it with olive oil and herbs and spices

Do you blanch it before freezing or freeze fresh?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron