Help Me Understand ESPN

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have ESPN plus on my Apple TV. When our game starts late it says go to the ap. So I went to my ESPN plus that I pay for to find our game. I found it, but can't watch. So apparently I have to download the ESPN AP? Why do I have to do that when I already pay ESPN for ESPN plus? So when I went to download it it won't let me watch unless I subscribe or pay the monthly fee to do so. If I understand this right, in order to watch ISU basketball I have to pay for ESPN plus to watch our games that are on there but also have to pay for a subscription for the ESPN AP to catch our games that get moved because of another game.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
ESPN+ is for streamed content only. ESPN app is where they put overlap games and have a lot of broadcast content available on demand. It's been this way for quite a while.

Reactions: cayin

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
An ESPN+ subscription gives you access to the ESPN+ content, not access to the traditional ESPN channels.

To watch ESPN channels through the app, or on your AppleTV, you need to log in through your tv provider.

I thought there was a press release a couple months ago about unifying the apps for a fee for those without a cable subscription.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Reactions: cayin and Die4Cy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, we had to enter our cable information again in the app and then it was forcing us to change our password. Then the game wasn't showing up. By the time we finally got the game the previous game was nearly over. Thank goodness I had pulled up John and Eric.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I have ESPN plus on my Apple TV. When our game starts late it says go to the ap. So I went to my ESPN plus that I pay for to find our game. I found it, but can't watch. So apparently I have to download the ESPN AP? Why do I have to do that when I already pay ESPN for ESPN plus? So when I went to download it it won't let me watch unless I subscribe or pay the monthly fee to do so. If I understand this right, in order to watch ISU basketball I have to pay for ESPN plus to watch our games that are on there but also have to pay for a subscription for the ESPN AP to catch our games that get moved because of another game.
You have to link your ESPN+ account with a provider for ESPN to see content that is on regular ESPN.

So if you have Hulu or YTTV you have to go to settings and link your ESPN+ to those providers, in order to see regular espn content on the app.

Reactions: cayin