Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
From what I understand, Unless you're an ultra competitive body builder I wouldn't worry about timing. Just get what the daily amount you need in per day whatever way is easiest for you.
I used to eat just one huge meal or two big meals a day but my understanding is your body just gets rid of the extra protein over 40g in a certain time frame. No point in taking protein shake after a meal so I've been trying to do 4 meals of 20-40 a day (or 3 with protein).

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It’s a struggle for many. Gotta turn all screens off an hour before bedtime and set up a regular bed time routine. Get that sub conscious working in your favor. Easier said then done but works when applied correctly.
I have that condition where I'm pissed off I don't get enough free time so I stay up late in protest. Wake up, work, eat, chores, sleep, repeat is like hell to me.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I agree mostly with the first part especially the medication line, although there are very real reasons for that. I disagree with the underlying problem part to an extent.

As for the second part just skip the chiro, either go to PT or just get a massage.
I'm sorry about that chiropractor banging your girl. Seems traumatic.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I know the female population on this site is pretty small but wanted to mention a trend we are starting to see with regards to the GLP-1 inhibitors that are exploding in popularity right now. There is increasing evidence that these drugs are effecting the absorption and efficacy of many oral contraceptives. Had a 51 year old woman come into the ED yesterday with a wide variety of symptoms who turned out to be pregnant. They are also having a dramatic increase in fertility rates for people the suffer from PCOS.

Again most likely not the population that cares on here but with how wide spread these drugs are going to become it’s a good thing to know.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I know the female population on this site is pretty small but wanted to mention a trend we are starting to see with regards to the GLP-1 inhibitors that are exploding in popularity right now. There is increasing evidence that these drugs are effecting the absorption and efficacy of many oral contraceptives. Had a 51 year old woman come into the ED yesterday with a wide variety of symptoms who turned out to be pregnant. They are also having a dramatic increase in fertility rates for people the suffer from PCOS.

Again most likely not the population that cares on here but with how wide spread these drugs are going to become it’s a good thing to know.
The Ozempic baby boom!

• Winner
Reactions: cowgirl836

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia

This is truly fascinating….

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
El naturale and committing to lifestyle changes is how to lose weight. Watching fat people dancing and singing on TV taking magic pills is not the way.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've been trying to eat less processed foods and I do think it helps. I just don't feel as hungry during the day. Oatmeal with dried cherries, hard boiled eggs, salt free almonds, veggie and fruit protien smoothies, and deli meat without bread make up a lot of my diet during the day. I've lost some weight without really changing much else. At the end of the day I think most of that is less processed foods basically means less processed carbs that are calorie dense and lacking in nutrients. Not really ground breaking stuff, but its been working for me and I don't feel like I hate what I am eating.

Reactions: clonechemist

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
El naturale and committing to lifestyle changes is how to lose weight. Watching fat people dancing and singing on TV taking magic pills is not the way.
That’s kinda like saying the only way to quit smoking is to go cold turkey. Works for some but the vast majority it doesn’t.

Also buckle up because probably half the population will be on GLP inhibitors in the next decade

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That’s kinda like saying the only way to quit smoking is to go cold turkey. Works for some but the vast majority it doesn’t.

Also buckle up because probably half the population will be on GLP inhibitors in the next decade

Imo the weight loss drugs need to come with some sort of foundational nutrition/diet plan going forward to help or have more of a public emphasis that habits still need to be attempted, kind of like going to a PT for an injury; just because you get better over a two week period doesn't mean the PT needs to stop.

• Agree
Reactions: NorthCyd

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

How effective have people been keeping weight off when they go off the drug? I ask because I have known several people who have had lap band/gastric bypass and both did not keep the weight off. Are people just signing up for a lifetime prescription to keep the weight off?

Reactions: madguy30

Mar 21, 2021
How effective have people been keeping weight off when they go off the drug? I ask because I have known several people who have had lap band/gastric bypass and both did not keep the weight off. Are people just signing up for a lifetime prescription to keep the weight off?
There you go again, thinking ahead. You'd make a lousy pharma rep.

Reactions: madguy30

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Imo the weight loss drugs need to come with some sort of foundational nutrition/diet plan going forward to help or have more of a public emphasis that habits still need to be attempted, kind of like going to a PT for an injury; just because you get better over a two week period doesn't mean the PT needs to stop.
I've heard from a couple of people that the GI issues were way less when they would eat better. Not sure if that is for everybody, but it should help encourage better nutrition for a few people.

Reactions: MJ29

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

The drug works by improving peoples' habits around food. It's not some stimulant or "fat burner," it results in less hunger and lower desires for the ultraprocessed unhealthy foods. These same drugs have shown some promise in reducing other addictive behaviors like gambling. That's why it's so intriguing. It doesn't work like other "weightloss drugs," and it reinforces the idea that obesity has some things in common with other addictive behaviors.

The difference is you don't have to smoke, gamble or drink to live. But you do have to eat to live. And eating is at the foundation of society. How do people celebrate? How do they mourn? How do they socialize? Lunch, dinner, "coffee," tailgate... People lead busy lives, which leaves less time for meal planning and prep. The GLP-1 drugs help people start to break that cycle.

Everybody knows how to lose weight, and nobody wants to be fat. If it were that simple in practice, there wouldn't be fat people.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The drug works by improving peoples' habits around food. It's not some stimulant or "fat burner," it results in less hunger and lower desires for the ultraprocessed unhealthy foods. These same drugs have shown some promise in reducing other addictive behaviors like gambling. That's why it's so intriguing. It doesn't work like other "weightloss drugs," and it reinforces the idea that obesity has some things in common with other addictive behaviors.

The difference is you don't have to smoke, gamble or drink to live. But you do have to eat to live. And eating is at the foundation of society. How do people celebrate? How do they mourn? How do they socialize? Lunch, dinner, "coffee," tailgate... People lead busy lives, which leaves less time for meal planning and prep. The GLP-1 drugs help people start to break that cycle.

Everybody knows how to lose weight, and nobody wants to be fat. If it were that simple in practice, there wouldn't be fat people.

Bolded is key here--is it expected to be taken forever?

I suppose that's a case by case situation like many other things.

The evidence is out there that some folks have put the weight back on if they stop.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Ok, but that doesn't really answer my question.