Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
any tips on curbing sugar cravings? My son had a birthday party on Sunday with family and there was some leftover birthday cake sitting on the counter with no good place to put it out of sight. Eventually I caved and had a large piece in the afternoon which derailed my nutrition for the day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
any tips on curbing sugar cravings? My son had a birthday party on Sunday with family and there was some leftover birthday cake sitting on the counter with no good place to put it out of sight. Eventually I caved and had a large piece in the afternoon which derailed my nutrition for the day.

I've had similar recently and fasting well into the next day at least keeps massive piling on from happening.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Honestly, the best answer is to throw it away. Not having it available in the house is the best way to fight those cravings. Also making sure you don’t get to a point that you’re really hungry can make it easier for some

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
As someone with a sweet tooth I can say it's all about willpower, and since I have none most times I just have to get rid of it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
IMO, exercise, or lack thereof, isn't the main driver of rampant obesity and chronic disease in western world. Improper nutrition is. It drives metabolic disease. Metabolic syndrome is the modern diagnosis of this modern 'disease'. It drives obesity, heart disease, some cancers, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimers (aka type 3 diabetes), fatty liver, PCOS, and much more. Metabolic syndrome is diagnosed when patient has 3 or more of the following:
1) Low HDL cholesterol
2) Elevated triglycerides
3) Elevated weight (waist/height ratio > 0.5x)
4) Elevated fasting blood glucose
5) Elevated blood pressure or taking meds to lower it

Only 12% of Americans are metabolically healthy:

Just so you know calling Alzheimer’s type 3 diabetes not only isn’t an actual diagnosis but is also extremely controversial in the medical community. Otherwise the rest is fairly accurate

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I have a question for the group. I've been lifting weights pretty regularly for the better part of 30 years. I am by no means a body builder, but I love the feeling I get from lifting. Even when growing up on a dairy farm I always fought with my brothers for the heavy manual labor jobs over the "spend time fixing this broken machine" stuff. Anyway, I am wondering if it is time I quit. My body, now that I am near 50, is sore a lot and some old lifting injuries are rearing their head (sore shoulders, back, knees really hate squats, etc.).

I've had a few docs tell me over the years to switch to yoga. It builds strength and improves movement and flexibility, but I am afraid doing so will cause my muscles to shrink. I don't want to get smaller though losing a few pounds would be good.

Anyone make such a switch? I understand much of my hang up is vanity, and that is very difficult to overcome, but I do feel pretty beat up a lot. For the record I am on week 8 of LIIFT4, which I really like, but I am finding I don't have the necessary weights any longer and, you know, hurting.
Obviously everyone is different and people figure out what works for them and their schedule, but I've been finding a little more "regular" the last several months.

Stretching regularly as a form of yoga would be good for you. I'm not saying go straight yoga, but even 15-20 minutes of stretching everyday before some activity is very beneficial or first thing in the morning to get you started feeling good.

You could do some bands, or body weight activities. I've always gone to the gym and love it, but I mix in bands and body weight workouts too. Something like from betterme app where I tailer it to what I'm seeking like 15-25 minute workouts. I notice it's necessary for me because I've notice it works different parts/muscles where lifts I do don't, so helps being more well rounded. Twitter/X has some accounts where they post different ab workouts I've been using lately too.

Also, rowing is a great workout that works the whole body. I usually do that as a warmup to working out at the gym.

I think your biggest hurdle as you age is you're having to work harder to retain shape and form, so nutrition is even more important, but also tailor workouts to help suit your changing needs. Also, do you take creatine? I say this not to be oh get huge, creatine has been extensively researched and honestly, everyone should take it. It benefits brain chemistry and lots of positives about it.

Not that I've done this long enough yet, but my 3 year old son loves jumping on the trampoline. He can for a long time. Lately I've been jumping with him where we jump together, I've noticed keeping good form as we jump and 30-40 minutes of that is a heck of a workout on my legs and core. This type of workout is good since it is less stress on your joints but helps cardio and they say it helps your lymphatic system. I've read it's more effective than running. If you have grand kids already, then maybe try it sometime. If not, maybe go to a jump park or get yourself a smaller trampoline and work it in. You'd be surprised how effective it is.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Start replacing added sugar snack with apples and bananas and berries. Reduce you intake of sugary drinks to 1 or none. This will reduce you sugar tolerance in a week or two to the point that most high sugar snacks will be off, too sweet. Stick with it for about a month. Its going to be tough because natural foods spoil so youll be at the grocery store more often.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Obviously everyone is different and people figure out what works for them and their schedule, but I've been finding a little more "regular" the last several months.

Stretching regularly as a form of yoga would be good for you. I'm not saying go straight yoga, but even 15-20 minutes of stretching everyday before some activity is very beneficial or first thing in the morning to get you started feeling good.

You could do some bands, or body weight activities. I've always gone to the gym and love it, but I mix in bands and body weight workouts too. Something like from betterme app where I tailer it to what I'm seeking like 15-25 minute workouts. I notice it's necessary for me because I've notice it works different parts/muscles where lifts I do don't, so helps being more well rounded. Twitter/X has some accounts where they post different ab workouts I've been using lately too.

Also, rowing is a great workout that works the whole body. I usually do that as a warmup to working out at the gym.

I think your biggest hurdle as you age is you're having to work harder to retain shape and form, so nutrition is even more important, but also tailor workouts to help suit your changing needs. Also, do you take creatine? I say this not to be oh get huge, creatine has been extensively researched and honestly, everyone should take it. It benefits brain chemistry and lots of positives about it.

Not that I've done this long enough yet, but my 3 year old son loves jumping on the trampoline. He can for a long time. Lately I've been jumping with him where we jump together, I've noticed keeping good form as we jump and 30-40 minutes of that is a heck of a workout on my legs and core. This type of workout is good since it is less stress on your joints but helps cardio and they say it helps your lymphatic system. I've read it's more effective than running. If you have grand kids already, then maybe try it sometime. If not, maybe go to a jump park or get yourself a smaller trampoline and work it in. You'd be surprised how effective it is.
Love the messaging on the stretching. The older you get the more flexibility training becomes vital. The huge advantage of yoga over just stretching (still very valuable) is that it also can greatly help with balance. As people age the risk of slips and falls increases dramatically and improving/maintaining balance can avoid major injuries.

Only thing I want to say is to please do not promote trampoline workouts to people over 50, especially when they are dealing with old injuries. That’s just a recipe for people getting hurt and showing up in the ED. In order for a tramp workout to be cardio you really have to be “actively jumping” which is probably one of the most high risk exercises for an aging population.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
For the first time in my life I'm 210... All my medium shirts are too small..

Trending in the wrong direction for sure.

Late night snacking and my new job has me sitting at my desk all day.. Any tips for snacking after 8?

Tomorrow i am going to block two recurring 15 minutes walk sessions a day. What else has helped people at work be more active?
Put exercise on your calendar. Eventually it will become a way of life. But just having it on your calendar won't solve accountability. If you really want to become dedicated, find a partner who you can exercise with, and that way you're obligated to show up. The game changer for me 20 years ago when the doc told me he was going to put me on BP medication. I decided instead to modify my diet and exercise more (I was already super active but was eating garbage). I decided to schedule my workouts during lunch. That required me to pack something light that i could eat at my desk in short order. If you limit the food you bring to work, then you're forced to only eat what you have. I found a coworker who was also struggling, and we started working out together twice per week in a conference room.

Eating after 8pm is a huge struggle for me. I have no answers there, other than that I'm intermittent fasting. Which means if I do snack after 8, my next food won't be until 1pm (since i workout at lunch).

Reactions: cyfan92

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Good hints already, but sometimes for me, I will just get a SMALL piece (of candy, cake, whaetver), and then really LOOK at it when eating it. Don't talk to anyone, don't look at your phone, read something etc. Just look at it as you it the thing in a couple bites. Sort of tricks into thinking you have ate more, but maybe still satisfied the craving.

Reactions: madguy30

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I'll be the first to admit that I've never been a healthy eater, but now having a toddler, it's convenient (more easy than convenient really) to have the chicken nuggets and mac & cheese the kid is having than to make something completely different every meal.

Chicken nuggets are protein! They're not bad. I put them on salads frequently. I also make a yummy chicken nugget and cottage cheese bowl with some buffalo sauce and cheese.

For me, it's all about balance and moderation. A registered dietician I trust says calories are king and protein and fiber are queen. I make sure I'm in a deficit (doesn't have to be a huge one) and am hitting protein and fiber goals daily (120 g and 30 g, respectively). You can use a TDEE calculator to figure out what your maintenance and deficit numbers are. That's a good place to start.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Love the messaging on the stretching. The older you get the more flexibility training becomes vital. The huge advantage of yoga over just stretching (still very valuable) is that it also can greatly help with balance. As people age the risk of slips and falls increases dramatically and improving/maintaining balance can avoid major injuries.

I would also push martial arts. You can do TKD and other things at a "lower level" if you find the right club. Stretching of course. Kicking, even at moderate levels of skill, is really good for core strength and balance. Forms are good for mental focus and toning muscles and coordination.

Just maybe don't go in for the club that does full contact sparring after 50 lol. I had an old master tell me once - "Sparring is for young guys, forms are for us older guys"

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I always try to eat by six with nothing else after that. My wife goes and buys a box of ice cream bars and has a quarter pan of scotcharoos on the table. I've avoided the ice cream bars but did have a small scotharoo. I'm a big carrot fan and will just peel a couple of them to fill me up. Will do a 90 mg 12oz energy drink in the morning and a sugar free caffeine free ginger ale in the afternoon, but drink a big glass of water in the morning with my BP meds then another 20 bottle during my workout and then have one sitting by me. I donate plasma twice a week and they always push the hydration end. So I really push the water the day before I donate, which is twice a week.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Late night snacking and my new job has me sitting at my desk all day.. Any tips for snacking after 8?

Tomorrow i am going to block two recurring 15 minutes walk sessions a day. What else has helped people at work be more active?

Go to bed earlier. I usually get really peckish when I am tired. The body/brain is tired and says "gimme carbs".

Sometimes I will try to have some small protein instead of carbs and then go to bed - greek yogurt or half a protein bar or something. 50-100 calories of protein instead of half a box of cereal or 3 servings of chips.

Reactions: madguy30

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I would also push martial arts. You can do TKD and other things at a "lower level" if you find the right club. Stretching of course. Kicking, even at moderate levels of skill, is really good for core strength and balance. Forms are good for mental focus and toning muscles and coordination.

Just maybe don't go in for the club that does full contact sparring after 50 lol. I had an old master tell me once - "Sparring is for young guys, forms are for us older guys"
Totally agree, at that point it’s more tai chi but it’s really great for all the reasons you mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
For the first time in my life I'm 210... All my medium shirts are too small..

Trending in the wrong direction for sure.

You can try to get a standing desk or convertible desk (sitting to standing). If that doesn’t work there are small pedal systems that you can use while sitting that can help. Otherwise set an alarm every hour to get up, walk around or do some general exercise with bands. There are a ton of great desk workouts. Also if you need to go in with business casual try to get some more flexible material to make the idea of moving around more appealing

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
IMO, exercise, or lack thereof, isn't the main driver of rampant obesity and chronic disease in western world. Improper nutrition is. It drives metabolic disease. Metabolic syndrome is the modern diagnosis of this modern 'disease'. It drives obesity, heart disease, some cancers, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimers (aka type 3 diabetes), fatty liver, PCOS, and much more. Metabolic syndrome is diagnosed when patient has 3 or more of the following:
1) Low HDL cholesterol
2) Elevated triglycerides
3) Elevated weight (waist/height ratio > 0.5x)
4) Elevated fasting blood glucose
5) Elevated blood pressure or taking meds to lower it

Only 12% of Americans are metabolically healthy:

Let's face it, this thread is 100+ pages of "eat balanced nutritional food and get some exercise". 97% of what you need to know is from Schoolhouse Rock in 1978.

But I do like this thread for ideas on how to approach that challenge. Everyone has their own little "hacks" and you never know what might make it easier for YOU. Plus the group support makes you feel not alone!

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29 and cowgirl836

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You can try to get a standing desk or convertible desk (sitting to standing). If that doesn’t work there are small pedal systems that you can use while sitting that can help. Otherwise set an alarm every hour to get up, walk around or do some general exercise with bands. There are a ton of great desk workouts. Also if you need to go in with business casual try to get some more flexible material to make the idea of moving around more appealing
This times a million.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I've had similar recently and fasting well into the next day at least keeps massive piling on from happening.
Fasting is really the only way I can drop weight substantially. It's ok for a while but I get really low energy when I'm trying to work a physical job, starving and forcing myself to work out in the evenings.

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner