Greatest "B" side recordings ever

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
For you youngsters who have no idea what a B side is, it refers to the song on the flip side of a 45 record. The A side is the song being released in the hopes it's a hit. The B side is usually mostly filler, just so it's not a blank space. Here's my nominee. It became this group's only No. 1 hit.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Di
For you youngsters who have no idea what a B side is, it refers to the song on the flip side of a 45 record. The A side is the song being released in the hopes it's a hit. The B side is usually mostly filler, just so it's not a blank space. Here's my nominee. It became this group's only No. 1 hit.

Those chalk faced goons?

1715218362063.png

• Haha
Reactions: HOTDON

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

If I remember correctly, the Rolling Stones released Let's Spend the Night Together, as a single, but radio stations didn't want to play a song with such sexual overtones, so they played the B-side instead, which was Ruby Tuesday

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Not a lot of people know but B-sides paid the same as A-sides in terms of songwriter royalties.

I read that the B side of the million selling "Flowers on the Wall" by the Statler Brothers was "The Ballad of Billy Christian" written by Thomas Hall. Royalties from that song funded his move to Nashville and Tom T Hall's career began.

Lots of stories about band members that may not have a good song begging/demanding their song be on the B-side of sure hits. See Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I remember getting the single of Metallica's Enter Sandman, and the B-side was their cover of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy, which was a pretty great song in its own right.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
And can we forget the B-side to Green Jelly's hit Three Little Pigs?

The answer is "yes, we definitely can forget it" because it was an absolutely forgettable track called Obey the Cow God

Reactions: BurgundyClone

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Springsteen would throw songs from his catalog that didn't make the cut on almost all of his singles as B-sides...and I am biased but he has put some GREAT songs out there on the B-side of a 45...arguably led by this one (the flip side of "Dancing in the Dark":

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Springsteen would throw songs from his catalog that didn't make the cut on almost all of his singles as B-sides...and I am biased but he has put some GREAT songs out there on the B-side of a 45...arguably led by this one (the flip side of "Dancing in the Dark":

My problem with Springsteen is I can never understand what he's singing. Enunciate, dude.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I wish this were made up.

This is the B-side of a free 45 that Pizza Hut gave out when I was a kid and Iowa was going to the Rose Bowl back in '82.

The A-side

In case you were wondering:
Washington - 28
Iowa - 0

The Hawkeyes did not bring home the roses.

• Haha
Reactions: irish and Mr Janny

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm surprised no one has brought up the Beatles yet. I'm not a huge Beatles fan either, but they had some pretty big hits from the B side, including, but not limited to, Yellow Submarine and Penny Lane. Again, not a big Beatles fan, so I might be wrong about this.

Help Support Us

Become a patron