Great Movie Casting "Misses"

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That's really interesting.
I think either Lee Marvin or McQueen would have been great as Quint but Shaw was great too.
I could actually see Redford and Newman as they worked so well together in the 70s but it could have made it too much of a "buddy" film? Still, such a great movie as is.
Spielberg wanted the shark to be the star, so he was very much against casting big names. The studio wanted Charlton Heston to play Brody, but he was too big of a name for the role in Spielberg’s mind. Heston actually took that really personally and refused to work with Spielberg in any capacity after that.

Robert Duvall turned down the role of Brody, as well.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Michelle Pfiffer turned down Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs because it was too violent.

Sean Connery passed on Gandalf

Drew Berrymore was originally cast as Sidney in Scream but thought she should play the first iconic victim because she was a big name and killing her off would be huge.

Will Smith turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix

Marilyn Monroe turned down the role of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's

Tom Hanks turned down the title role of Jerry McGuire to do That Thing You Do

Leo DiCaprio turned down Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights

Denzel turned down the role that ultimately went to Morgan Freeman in Se7en.

Josh Hartnett turned down the role of Batman in Nolan's Batman Begins (big mistake and he knows it)

EDIT: I totally read this thread wrong haha sorry
I think Denzel actually turned down the Brad Pitt’s role. And he’s said it’s one of his biggest regrets in his career

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think Denzel actually turned down the Brad Pitt’s role. And he’s said it’s one of his biggest regrets in his career
He did turn down the Mills character, you’re right. Would have been a huge mistake to cast him alongside Freeman in that role, IMO. Pitt played that part with a perfect cocky naïveté that I’m not sure Denzel could have pulled off, and that was the character “flaw” that created the amazing payoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclonedave25

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Tom Hanks turned down the title role of Jerry McGuire to do That Thing You Do

To be fair, Hanks wrote and directed That Thing You Do!, including many of the songs you hear in the movie. And it was the genesis of his Playtone music & film production company, which has been pretty successful - so I think he made a good choice here. :)

Reactions: khardbored

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
Chis Farley as Shrek

This sent me down a rabbit hole. Steven Spielberg apparently was the first to get the movie rights for Shrek in 1991, and he envisioned Bill Murray as Shrek and Steve Martin as Donkey.

DreamWorks was considering Nicholas Cage as Shrek, but he turned it down because he didn’t want to play a giant green ogre. “Maybe I should have done it, looking back” he said in 2013.

Janeane Garofalo was originally cast as Princess Fiona, but was replaced by Cameron Diaz.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Will Smith was offered the role of Neo in the matrix
Pretty sure I heard if Smith turned down the Genie role in the Disney Aladin remake, the person they had lined up to do it was.... Jack freaking Black. I hate those remakes I'm forced to watch because of my kids but sign me up for some Jack Black.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This sent me down a rabbit hole. Steven Spielberg apparently was the first to get the movie rights for Shrek in 1991, and he envisioned Bill Murray as Shrek and Steve Martin as Donkey.

DreamWorks was considering Nicholas Cage as Shrek, but he turned it down because he didn’t want to play a giant green ogre. “Maybe I should have done it, looking back” he said in 2013.

Janeane Garofalo was originally cast as Princess Fiona, but was replaced by Cameron Diaz.

I love Chris Farley and Shrek, but there's something unholy about that idea. It may have turned out okay in the end, and obviously we wouldn't have known Mike Myers as Shrek.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Emily Blunt turned down the role of Black Widow. Worked out pretty well for Scarlett Johanssen.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I love Jack Nicholson, but I couldn't imagine him playing Michael Corleone in The Godfather instead of Al Pacino. He was offered the role and turned it down.

Apparently Henry Winkler was offered the role of Danny Zuko in Grease and turned it down. That would've been pretty weird.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I love Jack Nicholson, but I couldn't imagine him playing Michael Corleone in The Godfather instead of Al Pacino. He was offered the role and turned it down.

Apparently Henry Winkler was offered the role of Danny Zuko in Grease and turned it down. That would've been pretty weird.
Jack Nicholson as Michael Corleone???? Whoa. Glad that didn’t happen.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Robin Williams was offered the part in The Shining. That could have worked, but Jack was likely the better choice.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

The Fonz could have pulled it off. We are just so used to John killing it we fail to remember the Fonz during that time period of being a cool Mofo. We just know nerdy grown up Winkler

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The Fonz could have pulled it off. We are just so used to John killing it we fail to remember the Fonz during that time period of being a cool Mofo. We just know nerdy grown up Winkler
I loved the Fonz, which was a role Winkler loosely tested out in the movie The Lords of Flatbush. Winkler was definitely at the heights of Fonzie popularity at the time Grease was filming, so it makes sense that they offered him. My biggest struggle is picturing him doing all of the singing (can he sing?), and the fact that he would've been around 32 years old playing a HS student at the time of filming, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
I loved the Fonz, which was a role Winkler loosely tested out in the movie The Lords of Flatbush. Winkler was definitely at the heights of Fonzie popularity at the time Grease was filming, so it makes sense that they offered him. My biggest struggle is picturing him doing all of the singing (can he sing?), and the fact that he would've been around 32 years old playing a HS student at the time of filming, lol.
Boy, do I have news for you about the rest of the cast of Grease.

Travolta was 23, sure, but Olivia Newton-John was 29. Stockard Channing was 33. Michael Tucci, who played Sonny, was 31. I don’t think a young-looking Winkler would have been too out-of-place.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
They didn't care about age when casting that movie. Stockard Channing was 33, ONJ was 29, and Michael Tucci was 29. So I don't think his age would have mattered. Not sure about him singing but I think he used to do Broadway also. The songs were not really that difficult either. I think he could have pulled it off. It ended up right with Travolta though. He did it perfect.

• Wow
Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They didn't care about age when casting that movie. Stockard Channing was 33, ONJ was 29, and Michael Tucci was 29. So I don't think his age would have mattered. Not sure about him singing but I think he used to do Broadway also. The songs were not really that difficult either. I think he could have pulled it off. It ended up right with Travolta though. He did it perfect.
I knew Stockard Channing was really old for the role but not some of those others. ONJ did not look nearly 30 IMO.

Reactions: Drew0311

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Leo turned down Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. While I love Leo Christian Bale was perfect for that role.