Golf Destinations

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Long story short,

My wife gave me the green light to plan a golf trip for my 40th next summer. I’d like to go somewhere outside of the Midwest for 3-4 days but I haven’t really golfed in other states. Anybody have a recommendation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? I’d like to play several super nice courses and have things to see/do when we aren’t playing. Not too worried about price—-I plan to donate all of my plasma for the next year :)

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Bushwood

Oh you added more. Branson area has a ton.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Long story short,

My wife gave me the green light to plan a golf trip for my 40th next summer. I’d like to go somewhere outside of the Midwest for 3-4 days but I haven’t really golfed in other states. Anybody have a recommendation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? I’d like to play several super nice courses and have things to see/do when we aren’t playing. Not worried about price—-I plan to donate all of my plasma for the next year :)
Bandon Dunes

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
Bandon Dunes
I've done Bandon several times when company was paying (good old working days). Great golf but it has gotten crazy expensive. My favorite recent trip was Hilton Head/Bluffton area. Great courses and more affordable. Wisconsin is also a really hot spot for golf packages.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Wisconsin and S Dakota have world class but very $$$ public golf available.

Trust me, you won't think you are in Wiscy or SDak.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I know you said outside the Midwest but Wisconsin has some fantastic golf. I'm sure you are aware of this though. I golfed last year at mammoth dunes at sand valley it is walking only there. The greens can be quite forgiving. They are huge and essentially have two sections that funnel the ball in the general arra of the hole assuming you hit on the side of the green with the flag. They were building a new course when we were there not sure if that is completed or not.

We then drove to Madison to golf University ridge the next day. It was a few days before a pro am tournament that was being played there so they had all the grandstands set up.

This year we are headed to whistling straights.

Mar 21, 2021
Long story short,

My wife gave me the green light to plan a golf trip for my 40th next summer. I’d like to go somewhere outside of the Midwest for 3-4 days but I haven’t really golfed in other states. Anybody have a recommendation that isn’t ridiculously expensive? I’d like to play several super nice courses and have things to see/do when we aren’t playing. Not too worried about price—-I plan to donate all of my plasma for the next year :)
Palm Springs CA has 120+ golf courses. But summer is blisteringly hot.
DC area has lots of nice courses and tourism opportunities.

Last edited:

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Long story short,

My wife gave me the green light to plan a golf trip for my 40th next summer. :)

Forget summer. Maui in January. When I took this pic, it was -10 in central Iowa.

H

Attachments

• 421458752_1329102211821125_247683440430379506_n.jpg
    421458752_1329102211821125_247683440430379506_n.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: NWICY

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
Long story short,

IMO, Bandon is far and away the best option if you can get on. Not a ton of other things to do in town, but the golf is the best in the US, and the coast/beaches are gorgeous.

Three honorable mentions for me would be Pinehurst (if you can get in), Monterey, CA (Pebble, Spanish Bay, Spyglass, etc), and San Diego (both Torrey courses, Coronado, Aviara, Maderas).

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Went to Myrtle Beach with some college friends last year and played four courses in the area. We ended the trip with the Caledonia Golf & Fish Club which was 40 mins away or so. Easily the nicest and coolest course I’ve ever played. The views were great and the vibe on the course was just really cool

Reactions: ZJohnson and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Went to Myrtle Beach with some college friends last year and played four courses in the area. We ended the trip with the Caledonia Golf & Fish Club which was 40 mins away or so. Easily the nicest and coolest course I’ve ever played. The views were great and the vibe on the course was just really cool
Still a lot of lingerie bars in Myrtle Beach? Not quite full strip clubs 30 years ago.