Going to Vegas next week

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Wanted to try BURGR but the wait was much, much too long.

When the stomach wants to eat then it's not a 2 hour wait situation

The line for the Vegas In-N-Out can be quite long too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Went last year for the 3rd time. Spent a lot of time chilling at the Carnaval outside bar by Harrah's. Nothing spectacular about the place, just nice to sit outside in great weather, get a bucket of beers for $15 and people watch.
Rented a converty and drove to the Hoover dam. That was a great idea to do in the morning and get lunch at UNLV campus on the way back.
Twin Peaks kind of overhangs the strip as does Margaritaville. Fun to hang out there for a couple hours.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Thought I would bump this thread as I just got back from a weekend in Vegas with the fiance and used a lot of the advice from posters in this thread. Got a lot of good info from what others posted, especially since it was my first time ever going there. Thought I would add my quick two cents in case anyone else finds this thread and is looking for similar advice:

-If you are going for the first time, definitely stay on the Strip. It will get a little pricey, but a person's first experience in Vegas should be spent there for the atmosphere, people watching, entertainment options, etc. Stayed at the Mirage and really liked it.
-I would recommend using one of the shuttle services to get to your hotel from the airport instead of a cab. It's much cheaper, and you don't run the risk of getting ripped off by a cab driver if it's your first time there. You can save a few more bucks by getting a round trip pass right away. Just need to call the shuttle company the day before leaving and they will pick you up from the hotel based on your flight time. The cab lines at the Mirage were always extremely long, and I'm sure it was the same with other hotels on the Strip
-Look into bundle deals for flight+hotel+entertainment online. There's a lot of options out there that will save you money if you do enough digging. We got a pretty good deal through Allegiant that came with complimentary Cirque du Soleil tickets
-On the same note, we the The Beatles LOVE and loved it! Would highly recommend for any fans of the Beatles out there
-If you're going to one of the more popular restaurants/buffets in Vegas, avoid going during peak lunch or dinner hours if you don't want to wait in a long line. We went to BURGR (which was great, BTW) around 3:30 pm on a Saturday and only waited about 15 mins for a table. They said the wait the night before was 2.5 hours at it's peak. Usually you will eat enough food anyway to tide you over for the rest of the day.
-Depending on what time of year you go, make sure you stay at a hotel with a good pool. The one at the Mirage was great for relaxing during the mornings/early afternoons. You'll need a break from walking the Strip at some point, and the pool is a great place to spend time during those parts of the day.
-Lastly, relax and don't try to cram everything into one trip. We had a few big events planned (show, helicopter tour, restaurants) but knew we wouldn't be able to do everything we wanted to do in one trip. Instead, pick out a few things to do and otherwise just enjoy the atmosphere of Vegas and all that comes with it.

Overall had a great first trip to Vegas and will definitely be going back there in the future! I think next time I would try to spend more time off the Strip exploring Freemont St. and more of the surrounding Vegas area. Would recommend a trip there for anyone looking for a quick and relatively affordable weekend getaway.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
Bumping for tips

Get the prime rib at New York New York's Gallagher's. Get it with a side of the strong horseradish. You have to say the strong horseradish and a nice bottle of red wine. Cost around $50-$60 without wine but you will not be disappointed.

The dry aged prime rib is so beautiful you don't even want to eat it. It taste even better than it looks. I have yet to eat a better meal in my life.

Another tip as well. The bloody Mary's and chambord long island ice tea at the high roller lounge in New York New York are the best drinks period. I get unlimited free drinks there and they are the best.

Last edited: