General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
Wrestling needs real personalities. Every time Carter Starroci opens his mouth it just sounds so forced and not authentic. Tries too hard to be the tough guy/heel. On Ferrari, wrestling has zero need for that type.
i think we all agree
in sport and life you need confidence to succeed
at times confidence can turn into hubris
ferrari is so far past hubris

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Wrestling needs real personalities. Every time Carter Starroci opens his mouth it just sounds so forced and not authentic. Tries too hard to be the tough guy/heel. On Ferrari, wrestling has zero need for that type.
All sports thrive on storylines. College wrestling needs all the viewers it can get. Whether you like the quality of trash talk or the person it would definitely get eyeballs. Matchups are important.

Reactions: Sturge34

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
All sports thrive on storylines. College wrestling needs all the viewers it can get. Whether you like the quality of trash talk or the person it would definitely get eyeballs. Matchups are important.
Not sure about this. Viewership of NCAAs has declined every year Starocci has been wrestling. Sounds good in theory, but his trash talk is not driving viewers.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Not sure about this. Viewership of NCAAs has declined every year Starocci has been wrestling. Sounds good in theory, but his trash talk is not driving viewers.
Agreed. He's an incredible wrestler. He's also just not an interesting character, no matter how hard he tries. That's okay though, there are greats in all sports who are just boring personalities.

Now I wouldn't say that Starroci has any direct impact on declines in viewership necessarily, but he also doesn't draw more eyeballs. Ferrari would at least make people tune in to watch and hope he gets beat lol.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Didn't see this posted - Varner won USA Wrestling mens freestyle coach of the year.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Didn't see this posted - Varner won USA Wrestling mens freestyle coach of the year.

I mean not too hard when the olympic team is almost made up of all Nittany Lion Wrestling Club members.....But always good to see former Clones succeeding!

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Agreed. He's an incredible wrestler. He's also just not an interesting character, no matter how hard he tries. That's okay though, there are greats in all sports who are just boring personalities.

Now I wouldn't say that Starroci has any direct impact on declines in viewership necessarily, but he also doesn't draw more eyeballs. Ferrari would at least make people tune in to watch and hope he gets beat lol.
I'd be surprised if most people outside the wrestling community know or care about Ferrari. Ask any outsider and they will have no idea who he is. If we need that clan to grow the sport we're in bigger trouble than I would have thought. What drives attention to niche men's college sports? I mean, could anyone here name one men's college hockey, lacrosse, tennis or golf athlete? I don't think there is a quick way to do it, but keep kids who try wrestling in the sport and they will become fans.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Who has been his matchup? That’s the point is he needs someone that can be competitive. Rocco welsh doesn’t do it. People don’t care as much about finals where one wrestler wins before he steps on the mat.

If Ferrari can actually still wrestle will be seen but if he can the matchup would bring eyeballs. There aren’t enough Carr KOG rivalry types out there. But if they are competitive I can’t see how off the mat beef wouldn’t help

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Who has been his matchup? That’s the point is he needs someone that can be competitive. Rocco welsh doesn’t do it. People don’t care as much about finals where one wrestler wins before he steps on the mat.

If Ferrari can actually still wrestle will be seen but if he can the matchup would bring eyeballs. There aren’t enough Carr KOG rivalry types out there. But if they are competitive I can’t see how off the mat beef wouldn’t help
He had to best NCAA champ Lewis in the finals two years ago. Great match.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I think the lack of a competitive team race is a big factor.
Agree, but it's on the rest of us to re-invent the sport and compete differently.

I really like what Dresser has done to get elite international guys. There has to be a pile of kids internationally that would jump at an opportunity to come to the US to train and get an education. Cuba, Bulgaria, wherever. If we could identify them earlier and streamline the NCAA clearinghouse process so they have their RS year to figure out mat wrestling that would be even better. This is how we compete with the behemoth Penn State and their built in recruiting base that is PA. Golf and other sports are doing it.

And, I believe the US' success in freestyle more recently is bolstered by folkstyle background that is largely only wrestled in the US. There are tendencies from the US wrestlers that really frustrate the international guys that originate from folkstyle.

I am not telling KD what he doesn't know already.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
One thing that I have learned from observing Cael is, although the sport has been around for thousands of years, there are different ways of approaching the sport.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
ESPN doesn’t help one single bit with our sport. We just had two 4-time NCAA champions from the same team in the same year. One of them did it after busting up his knee and the team that won it ran away in dominating fashion. They also happen to be a big time BIG10 player. ESPN hardly pushes these headlines leading up to and following the tournament with any of their big talking heads. Just showing the coverage those days isn’t doing it. They have to create the drama and give people these headlines and characters to follow and be attracted to for outside wrestling fans

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
ESPN doesn’t help one single bit with our sport. We just had two 4-time NCAA champions from the same team in the same year. One of them did it after busting up his knee and the team that won it ran away in dominating fashion. They also happen to be a big time BIG10 player. ESPN hardly pushes these headlines leading up to and following the tournament with any of their big talking heads. Just showing the coverage those days isn’t doing it. They have to create the drama and give people these headlines and characters to follow and be attracted to for outside wrestling fans
I would add on to this that the whole Flo stuff does not help. I am far from a diehard but I really do enjoy Cyclone wrestling and high level wrestling (I will watch PSU vs Iowa etc.). It has to be easy to watch/access which means it can't be on Flo or anything else. There is ZERO reason why it shouldn't be on ESPN+ like every other olympic sport.

ESPN needs to improve it's app interface as well when it comes to tournaments. Multi mat or whatever it is called should allow me to select a mat and go to it not go back to the menu. Not to mention then they are all out of freaking order on the menu.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
What kind of wrestler would need to come on the scene to duplicate what CC has done for women's college BB? I can't imaging what he would look like. David Carr is the most charismatic, Ferrari the most controversial, Steveson maybe the most talented, Cael the most accomplished, but none have come close to the CC effect for wrestling. Why?

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
What kind of wrestler would need to come on the scene to duplicate what CC has done for women's college BB? I can't imaging what he would look like. David Carr is the most charismatic, Ferrari the most controversial, Steveson maybe the most talented, Cael the most accomplished, but none have come close to the CC effect for wrestling. Why?
Probably because basketball is still the sport that she has accomplished so much in. Its womens bball which is niche, but its still one of the 3 major sports in america. The majority of people can still relate to BBall.