F1 2024 Discussion

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yeah I think the team aspect of designing and building a car, bringing in upgrades throughout the season, etc. is as exciting as the actual racing.

Also I know it’s dumb but I find Indy cars to be ugly, and the fact that they’re more or less the same spec wise doesn’t excite me much.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
For me the bar to entry on Indycar is just a lot higher. With it being a spec series there are a lot more teams and drivers you need to know to really have a handle on what's going on during the weekend/season. I watched the 100 days to Indy on Netflix, watched races last year, and still have a hard time keeping everyone straight when I watch a race.

Anytime I watch Indy or NASCAR I gain a huge appreciation for how F1 handles cautions by having more options that keep everything moving, and how big of a deal it is to not have commercials.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
For me the bar to entry on Indycar is just a lot higher. With it being a spec series there are a lot more teams and drivers you need to know to really have a handle on what's going on during the weekend/season. I watched the 100 days to Indy on Netflix, watched races last year, and still have a hard time keeping everyone straight when I watch a race.

Anytime I watch Indy or NASCAR I gain a huge appreciation for how F1 handles cautions by having more options that keep everything moving, and how big of a deal it is to not have commercials.
In my opinion I think Indy car will start getting a bump with the Netflix series and F1 doing se well. People are getting interested in Racing again. Indy was flying high in the 1980's. Then the split with Cart and Indy set it back years. I think they can start to figure out ways to really grow it. Nascar i think is going to become a fringe racing series. It's just not that good.

One thing I hate about Nascar is the announcers and driver's refering to the car numbers instead of the driver's. Nobody can get invested in the driver's. It's always "The 24 car". Who gives a rip what number the car is. Say the driver's name. Keep pushing the driver's. That all started with Dale Sr and his number 3 car. It needs to end.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was just thinking this as I was watching the replay of the Indycar race in Alabama the other day, I really didn't appreciate how great it is to just be able to wave yellows at certain sectors rather than neutralizing the entire track behind a safety car every time. There were so many yellows in the Indycar race this weekend, I don't watch enough to know if that's normal or not, but it was really annoying. Not to mention the addition of the virtual safety car.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I mean this sincerely I think the broadcast is why I watch F1. The Sky Sports crew, no commercials, etc. I could honestly just listen to it and it's fun. No commercials, done in under 2 hours most of the time. That's as much racing as I really want to take in.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Indy has so many
I was just thinking this as I was watching the replay of the Indycar race in Alabama the other day, I really didn't appreciate how great it is to just be able to wave yellows at certain sectors rather than neutralizing the entire track behind a safety car every time. There were so many yellows in the Indycar race this weekend, I don't watch enough to know if that's normal or not, but it was really annoying. Not to mention the addition of the virtual safety car.
Indy has so many cautions because they just have so many cars on the track. I don't like f1 having just 20 cars but Indy has way to many cars. I would think F1 should move to 22 or 24.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Indy has so many

Indy has so many cautions because they just have so many cars on the track. I don't like f1 having just 20 cars but Indy has way to many cars. I would think F1 should move to 22 or 24.
20-24 seems like the sweet spot, I don't feel like F1 has too few at the moment though, but they could handle another team or two it seems like.

Reactions: Drew0311

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
BTW the one thing I like that Indy does is Push to Pass. Giving them so many seconds of it. I like it better than DRS. It adds more strategy and does make make driver's sitting ducks.
F1 essentially has the same thing, drivers can use stored energy to increase power to attack or defend, it's just not limited by time.

Reactions: JBone84

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
BTW the one thing I like that Indy does is Push to Pass. Giving them so many seconds of it. I like it better than DRS. It adds more strategy and does make make driver's sitting ducks.

I wonder if that would go a ways to fixing the DRS trains you get sometimes in F1.

BTW if anyone didn't follow the Penske push to pass cheating drama from a couple weeks ago it's kind of a crazy story where there is still fallout happening. The tl;dr is they installed software that let them use it when no one else could.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Honest question. I don't get the love of F1. I'm definitely a racing fan. Mostly dirt but also Nascar and Indy which is my favorite. Why the love of watching a train. No passing and VerStappin wins every race. Help me want to watch this more.
For me it's the personalities. I'm some how very invested in the drivers more than the racing. Lewis is my main driver to follow but honestly, love following many others like, Charels, Lando, Russel, Bottas, Kmag, Alonso and some others. Love the back stories and the such. Yes, Drive to Survive played a part in really getting me hooked. I started watching both F1 and Drive to Survive near the same time and it escalated quickly into something I loved following.

For me it is similar to how I felt about NASCAR back in the 90s. So many drivers and personalities I loved to follow, even though it's turn left all day.

I fully admin Indy and NASCAR is better racing. At the moment I just don't know more than 1 or 2 guys in each and have no appeal towards it. Regardless of how good the racing is.

With all that being said, if enough of the driver I like dropped from F1 at the same time, I could see myself drifting from it. That's kind of what happened with NASCAR after Dale passed. I slowly stopped watching as the drivers I enjoyed the most left.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I wonder if that would go a ways to fixing the DRS trains you get sometimes in F1.

BTW if anyone didn't follow the Penske push to pass cheating drama from a couple weeks ago it's kind of a crazy story where there is still fallout happening. The tl;dr is they installed software that let them use it when no one else could.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I felt like on several broadcast in years past there was talk about DRS going away in the future?? Or was that just hopes of the announcers??

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
For me it's the personalities. I'm some how very invested in the drivers more than the racing. Lewis is my main driver to follow but honestly, love following many others like, Charels, Lando, Russel, Bottas, Kmag, Alonso and some others. Love the back stories and the such. Yes, Drive to Survive played a part in really getting me hooked. I started watching both F1 and Drive to Survive near the same time and it escalated quickly into something I loved following.

For me it is similar to how I felt about NASCAR back in the 90s. So many drivers and personalities I loved to follow, even though it's turn left all day.

I fully admin Indy and NASCAR is better racing. At the moment I just don't know more than 1 or 2 guys in each and have no appeal towards it. Regardless of how good the racing is.

With all that being said, if enough of the driver I like dropped from F1 at the same time, I could see myself drifting from it. That's kind of what happened with NASCAR after Dale passed. I slowly stopped watching as the drivers I enjoyed the most left.

F1 has been doing a great job of letting us know who the up and coming driver's are and where they will possibly end up. Indy would be smart to scoop up more former F1 driver's who people know. Right now they have Grossjean and Theo Porchaire is a young possibly future f1 driver. Also, if you watch the Netflix show about Indy you get to learn a few of the guys. Which helps a lot. I agree with what you said though.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUKyro

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Yeah, Indycar is terrible with the full course cautions. I think it's a holdover from when they were a mostly oval series. On an oval it makes sense to throw the full course, close the pits and let everyone settle down a bit. Especially when you have people who have to clean up the track and you can't have cars whizzing by at almost full speed. It doesn't make sense on the road/street ciruits though. Especially when they have this mentality that's in only fair everyone who wants to gets to pit under cuation. When the track is clear, pull the caution flag and let's get going. The Virtual Safety Car that F1 does was a brilliant idea. That way you don't have to wait for the pace car to get all the way back to the pits to start the race again. When the track is clear, go.

Again, I love Indycar, I grew up on it and have been to quite a few races, but they are stuck in this rut of nostalgia for the past for a lot of the things they do. I also am convinced 95% of the reason for the long yellows is the TV, allowing them to go to full commercial even more often.

I stick with my initial point though, no matter how they want to run their races rules wise, don't go head to head with F1. Indy should be racing the weekends F1 is off. And if they do run they same weekend, for craps sake, don't have your race on the same time as F1.

And as someone said above, the 80s and early 90s were the glory days of Indycar, they genuinely did compete with F1 at that point. A lot of different Chassis, engines and drivers with some crazy personalities from all over the world. The split was definitely a momentum killer. Not just for Indycar, but for the Indy 500 as well. That race has never been the same since the split.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
F1 for me is the level of precision needed in the engineering and racing. The cars are so ridiculously fast that tiny adjustments mean a higher rate of failure or success. I like that teams have the ability to close the gap through upgrades throughout the season. I also like how important strategy is throughout the entire weekend of racing. I get just as into the tech and strategy as I do the races themselves.

Reactions: JBone84

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
"Leading out of an NBA Game 7, the annual Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix set a viewership record in its third year of existence and topped a rain-delayed NASCAR Cup Series race.

Sunday’s F1 Miami Grand Prix averaged a 1.7 rating and 3.1 million viewers on ABC, marking the largest F1 audience ever on U.S. television. The previous high was 2.78 million for taped coverage of the 2002 Monaco Grand Prix and the previous high for a live race was 2.58 million for the inaugural Miami GP two years ago.

Lando Norris’ win jumped 51% in ratings and 48% in viewership from last year (1.0, 2.1M)."

Reactions: mramseyISU